• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Science Olympiads (1 Viewer)

shepwarp

HSC
Re: Olympiads

Schweet... :)... yeah I was thinking that vulgarfraction... am curious to know the answer... but I don't think they would really advertise it hey? I know that two ppl from a school here in tas got in last year but one of them couldn't go due to other committments... so I dunno

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

vulgarfraction said:
Hey, what do you guys reckon would happen if some of the invited people don't go to the camp? It's bound to happen considering that the most talented people would usually do a few NQE's and get in more than one. Do they ask other people as reserves, or just have less than 23, or invite more in the first place? Because I'm pretty sure that AMOC people invite others to go when some people can't make it..

If, then, do people know that they are reserves?
Yeah they normally have a few reserves who are told.

onethreehundred

HSC
N/A
I wonder when they are going to notify us if we were selected. Any suggestions? I seem to remember reading mid-October somewhere.

shepwarp

HSC

Yeha... pretty sure it was mid october... whoever gets in has to come here and message right away? OK?! :p and then we'll elect a cheersquad for you

HSC
N/A

I read somewhere mid October, but that's results to schools. Logically invites won't be much later?

I really don't like my chances.

Good luck Wooz, fingers crossed.. :p

shepwarp

HSC

Lol yeah for sure.... Wooz you sound so dedicated! Good luck and I really do hope you get in! And if you do you have to totally cain this guy who will most likely get in from my brother school... he is such a pain... such a bio know it all :S

falcon07

HSC

Physics results arrived at our school today and I made it in! 2 others were also offered places. Has any school received the chemistry or biology offers yet?

haque

HSC

If u haven't been notified of selection it probably means u unfortunately didn't make it-a guy from my grade last year represenetd Australia in the chemistry international olympiad and he got notified like two weeks before we got our certificates back-congratulations to falcon07

shepwarp

HSC

That's so awesome! WOW! Study incredibly hard falcon07... and I'll get that cheersquad like I promised ;)

HSC
N/A

haque said:
If u haven't been notified of selection it probably means u unfortunately didn't make it-a guy from my grade last year represenetd Australia in the chemistry international olympiad and he got notified like two weeks before we got our certificates back-congratulations to falcon07
Nah, our school would make a big deal if someone got in. And believe me, someone will get in. They're just being slow.

Lotto- that's cos you can't do it in Year 12. :) You'd be enrolled in a tertiary institution next year and you're not in the running for Australian teams..

HSC
N/A

Really? Sounds like NSB class of 07 is just especially good then..

ougoah

HSC

Yeah, I think not all scholars have been notified yet.

onethreehundred

HSC
N/A

vulgarfraction said:
Nah, our school would make a big deal if someone got in. And believe me, someone will get in. They're just being slow.
Yep.

shepwarp

HSC

Ok... I'm onto organising a tickertape parade. :p

falcon07

HSC

onethreehundred said:
Nice one. Were you expecting it?
No, I didn't expect I'd get in the top 20, although I knew I did better in physics than chemistry.

LottoX said:
Yes, NSB represent! I don't think anyone in my year did it.
I know two in your year went to Canberra, because they organised after school tuition leading up to the exams.

haque said:
If u haven't been notified of selection it probably means u unfortunately didn't make it
Letters still may arrive early next week because mine was only sent on the 19th and it arrived during period 5 on Friday.

shepwarp said:
Ok... I'm onto organising a tickertape parade. :p
No thanks, I think I'll just take the money. :) It costs $1000 to go to the training program, a further $1500 if you are in the top 8 and go to the Asian Olympiad, and $2000 to go to the International Olympiad!

ougoah

HSC

Congrats falcon07!

Hmm I probably got 8 + 4 + 8 + 3 + 8 = 31 out of 50. Hope that's enough.
The circuit question was a giveaway few marks, I think.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A

falcon07 said:
No thanks, I think I'll just take the money. :) It costs $1000 to go to the training program, a further $1500 if you are in the top 8 and go to the Asian Olympiad, and $2000 to go to the International Olympiad!
Ask your school if they'd subsidise you. ^^

Ougoah- you were the guy from Fort St on AoPS, right?

shepwarp

HSC

Yeah... get your school to pitch in... and ask Rotary... they're always good with sponsoring these things :)... it's such a great opportunity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)