Australian University Teaching Rankings (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
I have the feeling that unsw doesnt spoon feed? Teachers mark hard etc high standard.

I've never really believed in this student satisfaction stuff. It only gives you a certain picture. It can be right in certain circumstances. For example Minai said he had bad teachers.

I mean look at the satisfaction rate for ALL THE LAW SCHOOLS. It's very low. Why? Its hard, stressful and long. It's not some walk in the park where students can go on a frolic of their own by do sweet FA work.
I agree with Asqy. UNSW does not spoon feed its students and this is probably the reason that it does not perform as well as some other Universities in this survey. Spoon feeding students would not produce better graduates, however....

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ohne said:
I agree with Asqy. UNSW does not spoon feed its students and this is probably the reason that it does not perform as well as some other Universities in this survey. Spoon feeding students would not produce better graduates, however....
I guess I have to act like a broken record.

The spoon feeding argument is a "omg my uni didn't win, so now it's time to bullshit up some reason why... THEY CHEATEDEDEDED."

Your uni didn't top the ranking. Get over it. It's not like it devalues UNSW at all, anyway. Honestly. =\

^___^
HSC
ohne said:

er..
other unis don't spoon feed their students( as far as i know )

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz, I mean, do people really think that lecturers spoonfeed their students? Lecturers/ Professors are what they are because of their dedication and hard work. They aren't going to do something that would ruin their reputation/go against their own beliefs of hard work just to 'help' students.

Anyone that produces such an argument should be pointed and laughed at.

kaitoufion

HSC
UNSW is not good at teaching.
I study in there & I actually agree with that.
Coz UNSW concentrates very much on RESEARCH & PRESENTATION!!!! @o@
That's one of the things I don't really like about it :(

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree though, UNSW is a much better university in terms of research, but a bit lacking in the undergrad teaching area.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
If i did research..(i speak for health sc) id goto UNSW...
course fees for post-grad work is cheap.. and the researchers are paid well... and facilities are modern...

this cannot always be said for Usyd... but they have a good program to nuture bright students.. pays well too! altho its a bit restrictive in wat u can do..
Usyd UMelb and UAdel spend nicely on summer vacation projects...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
... said:
i do believe asqy when he saids unsw's law school is a lot better than some of the others,
How would Asquithian know? Has he been to any other law school? Of course UNSW are going to tell its students they are the best, just as all the other law schools do.

I got a UAI that gave me a pick of all law schools and I chose UOW, for a number of reasons. I am very glad I did as I believe the law faculty at UOW is exemplary--I am taught by tutors with excellent qualifications who are published and authoritative on the subjects they are teaching. Speaking to people around Sydney, I have mentioned that Im at UOW law school and the responses I have gotten have been very positive--our academic staff are well known and highly regarded, and our graduates hold positions with some of the most prestigious firms. Two of our recent graduates have been chosen to be associates to Justice Kirby.

Back to the point, you can't 'know' that your law school is better than the rest without experiencing it. Its all about your own satisfaction and what you personally get out of the experience. The UOW law school experience is certainly on par with any of the 'prestigious' unis--the fact that we are fairly young as well as regional is reflected in the UAI--NOT the standard of education.

We also have a WAY prettier campus than UNSW and Sydney--although I guess with all the concrete it aint that hard :p

Debutante

HSC
N/A
Funding for quality teaching

UoW will get a SHARE of the $250 million over three years. They don't get ALL of the money. It is likely the top 5-7 unis in the list will get to share in the money. And just so you know, if Bond and Notre Dame (who were not part of the survey because they are not eligible for this public money) had also been ranked, they would have been at the top of the list above UoW. Further info: http://www.avcc.edu.au/content.asp?page=/policies_programs/graduates/index.htm

santaslayer said:
Yes. It does mean UoW is the best-est uni in the whole wide world.

The federal government are paying UoW $250million. They aren't going to get the rankings wrong. They would ensure the funding ONLY goes to the greatest achieving tertiary institution. They want to improve national standards and UoW will be there starting point, since it is the ONLY university worth improving. :p

j/k

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Asquithian said:
Well I don't know :p My opinion is that UNSW law school is pretty good. All I've got to go on is

1. Reputation built up

2. UAI and the number of freaks we have creating an atmosphere of freaky extreme commitment to study which influences all the students.

3. Course structure. Yearly units of Property, contracts, crim and litigation.

These are all up for interpretation of course.

UNSW gets more Fulbright and Rhodes Scholars than any other law school. Big deal. I'm selling UNSW. You are selling UOW (as above). Same difference.

I can say similar glowing things about UNSW as you say about UOW. Bleh.

But But how do you know :rolleyes: You haven't lived within UNSW law school!

Same argument.
Fucking hell you're a mong.

--------------------------------

Anyway, this really has turned into a "I need to justify my existance somehow, so I'll ensure that everyone knows UNSW is better in every way than UoW." thread.

Get over yourselves. Go to uni, get your degree, and get a job (or continue studying, or Centrelink, or whatever). There's no need to measure penises for God's sake. =\

Generator

HSC
N/A
I don't see what was wrong with Asquithian's comment, unless there is some obscure social convention that allows those attending regional universities to criticise the 'sandstone' institutions without fear of a rebuttal.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I wasn't actually commenting on Asquithian's comment, I was commenting on the fact that everyone is obviously gonna say their law school is great....Im biased toward UOW, Asquithian is biased toward UNSW...I was making the point that you can't just outright believe someone when they say they go to the best law school.....there is no such thing as the best law school.

Obviously Asquithian got defensive and had to jump in, but thats a matter for him.

Im allowed to highlight the strengths of UOW, it gets bashed for being a regional university, why can't I stand up for it?

Generator

HSC
N/A
I was responding to poloktim. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Generator said:
I don't see what was wrong with Asquithian's comment, unless there is some obscure social convention that allows those attending regional universities to criticise the 'sandstone' institutions without fear of a rebuttal.
I called everyone mongs for that.

I was calling Asquithian a mong because this isn't the only thread he acts like one in. I've noticed it, and am getting sick of it.

I should've clarified more. Sorry.

As for the penis contest for which uni is better? Here's a handy hint: University means universally shit. That is, they're all gateways to the seventh layer. Let's enjoy our damnation while it lasts. :)

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
UNSW gets more Fulbright and Rhodes Scholars than any other law school. Big deal. I'm selling UNSW. You are selling UOW (as above). Same difference.

I can say similar glowing things about UNSW as you say about UOW. Bleh.

Hello Asqy :),

From memory, Fullbright and Rhodes Scholars are really up to individual achievement. When has a Scholar ever been up to the educational institutional itself? If I am correct, I always thought these things were up to the individual's talent and determination. Of course, you can say that the university staff were a great determinant of this success, but surely, this contribution only goes so far.
But we are talking about teacher rankings at individual universitites, no?

Generator, of course anyone can say anything, whether it be critic or a laud, but what is commented on must be in reference to the thread topic, no?

Debutante, yeah, go back like 10 pages first. I think Generator has cleared that up already.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The world would be abetter place if we were all blonde nympho gods

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)