Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (2 Viewers)

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
OK, ive watched the game three times now (the third watching was mostly done in fast forward), but the turning point in the match was when Forlan was subbed for Dario Silva. Silva come on and it put the Socceroos out defensively. When Forlan was on, there was no speed or much moving into space because of his injury, Grella was watching Recoba like a hawk and the back three could deal with Forlan. Even though only 20 minutes were played to that point, the biggest advantage of Forlans injury was that it meant that we were more structured in buliding attacks from the back, and were looking to capitalise on it when Dario Silva was brought on. When he come back on, he made Grella do more defensive work and drew him into more challenges, leaving Recoba for the back three until he could deal with Silva. Then Recoba began to press into those gaps more often, wider than the central back three. I just watched SBS, and they said Chippers was a vitual fourth defender, and I agree with this in one sense, that when Recoba and Silva began to receive more possession, he come back, and we were very much the worse for attack, even though we had little choice for him to defend more. With Silva on the field, he pressured Australian possession much better, and on occasions the ball was squandered poorly.

But it will be a much different match on Wednesday.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
stazi said:
THANK YOU FIFA FOR A NON BIASED REF!!!!!!!!
some of his decisions are shaky but a ref under pressure from the crowd could have easily awarded the penalty.

Yeah, I was happy with the Swiss referee’s decisions for the duration of the match, especially given the atmosphere. I think I was half-expecting the referee to infuriate us with bad calls and eventually knock us over. Good appointment by FIFA.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
Chipperfield gives away a free kick on the right side of the area and Recoba's delivery to Rodriguez at the far post results in Uruguay taking the lead. God Chipperfield is an idiot.

I totally disagree. Chippers did well the entire match considering he had to contend with so many Uruguyans running at him, not to mention their right-back Diogo raiding down Chipper’s flank and nearly setting-up camp in our half of the park. Besides, he did a solid job going forward too.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
^ It was a disaster because of Frank, not because of the formation. I'm pretty sure Ive ranted about that before.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Does anyone know of any "live" sites showing the game happening on Wednesday in the city? apart from the main one at olympic park.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
copious said:
Does anyone know of any "live" sites showing the game happening on Wednesday in the city? apart from the main one at olympic park.
Why not just go to the pub?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Live sites have that extra atmosphere, next best thing to being there! But yes, the pub is our last resort after our Oztag game which finishes at 7.30 =/

M'broughRockz

HSC
the free kick by uruguay was tragic and heart breaking. The urugyian ran into chipperfield and the linesmans flag came off. :(

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
copious said:

You might wanna check-out Enmore Theatre, they had a function for today's fixture, not too sure if they've got anything happening for the 2nd leg.

swisstruffles

HSC
i was shitting myself the whole 2nd half. it seemed that whenever we had a corner, the ball was instantly blocked by urugrayans while when they had corners, it seemed that aussies were scarce and urugrayans were all over it.
i hope the weds match wont make me put my hands over my eyes every second minute

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Haha yeah the later parts of the second half changed my mentality from 'come on!!! score one goal aussies!!! we need the away goal' to 'everyone back!!! everyone defend the goals. Stikers, what are you doing trying to score? Put on your gloves and stand in goal with the keeper.'

Numero Uno

HSC
1-0 away from home is a decent result
my outcomes from the game:
- Archie Thompson is a shit cunt , Along with Vidmar
- Viduka played awesome,
Im quitley confident we can do something in sydney and qualify.
We dominated the 1st half , and well realistically uruguay always scores at home, even Argentina, lost to them with the same scoreline a few weeks back , now im not saying Australia is Argentina, but Uruguay have one of the worst away records in the Wc qualifying campaign so if Australia, has any passion we shall win this game and qualify.

now do we deserve it ? thats a different matter all together.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Bresciano better replace Kewell.

Kewell is so overrated

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Numero Uno said:
now do we deserve it ? thats a different matter all together.
If we can beat Uruguay over 2 legz then we definitely deserve to be in the WC.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
From what I understand, no Australian team has scored 2 goals at home in a WC Qualifier. But then again, we have so much talent this time around, especially in MF, add to that the tactical nuance of Hiddink, and we might just have a good formula going for us. I don't see too many changes on the defensive front, although personally I'd like to see:

(i) Thwaite coming in for Vidmar;

(ii) Cahill, and especially Bresciano, should and would start;

(iii) Kewell, Thompson and Cullina (or even Lazaridis) to come off the bench if we don't look like scoring at the 55-60 minute mark;

(iv) It is essential that Set-Pieces are taken by Bresciano, maybe even Kewell if he’s on the paddock. We had about 5/6 corners today, and Emo was consistently putting them down the g’keeper’s throat. At this level we’ve got to take our chances, knock-downs; flick-ons; anything of that sort could just come in all important at the end of the day. Given that we are chasing a goal from the opening whistle and the Uruguyans will be intent on camping in their own half, they are bound to commit fouls, and the resulting delivery of those set-pieces should not be underestimated;

(v) Employing a 3-5-2 formation as such:

1. Schwarzer

2. Thwaite 3. Neill 4. Popovic

*5. Emerton ^6. Bresciano ^7. Grella ^8. Cahill *9. Chipperfield

10. Viduka 11. Aloisi

*5 / *9 = Emerton and Chipperfield have got to stick to plying their trade on their respective wings, no need for them to cut inside, especially Chippers since there would be plenty of players in the centre, and at the same time playing them wide might just stretch the width of the Uruguyan defensive line and hopefully expose some gaps.

^6 / ^7 / ^8 = Grella’s ought to do the job on Recoba. Of Bresciano and Cahill - one would have to be the spare man, occasionally helping out against Recoba , while the other keeps tab on Pablo Garcia.

^8 = Whether it’s Cahill or Kewell occupying this spot, if it's an advanced role, we can effectively switch the system to 3-4-3. Let Bresciano play the withdrawn role and pull the strings in the centre of the park, while that leaves Cahill/Kewell to add some variety to our attack by way of trickery and quick feet to supplement the two big men in Viduka and Aloisi.

nedzelic

HSC
Paragon said:
From what I understand, no Australian team has scored 2 goals at home in a WC Qualifier. But then again, we have so much talent this time around, especially in MF, add to that the tactical nuance of Hiddink, and we might just have a good formula going for us. I don't see too many changes on the defensive front, although personally I'd like to see:

(i) Thwaite coming in for Vidmar;

(ii) Cahill, and especially Bresciano, should and would start;

(iii) Kewell, Thompson and Cullina (or even Lazaridis) to come off the bench if we don't look like scoring at the 55-60 minute mark;

(iv) It is essential that Set-Pieces are taken by Bresciano, maybe even Kewell if he’s on the paddock. We had about 5/6 corners today, and Emo was consistently putting them down the g’keeper’s throat. At this level we’ve got to take our chances, knock-downs; flick-ons; anything of that sort could just come in all important at the end of the day. Given that we are chasing a goal from the opening whistle and the Uruguyans will be intent on camping in their own half, they are bound to commit fouls, and the resulting delivery of those set-pieces should not be underestimated;

(v) Employing a 3-5-2 formation as such:

1. Schwarzer

2. Thwaite 3. Neill 4. Popovic

*5. Emerton ^6. Bresciano ^7. Grella ^8. Cahill *9. Chipperfield

10. Viduka 11. Aloisi

*5 / *9 = Emerton and Chipperfield have got to stick to plying their trade on their respective wings, no need for them to cut inside, especially Chippers since there would be plenty of players in the centre, and at the same time playing them wide might just stretch the width of the Uruguyan defensive line and hopefully expose some gaps.

^6 / ^7 / ^8 = Grella’s ought to do the job on Recoba. Of Bresciano and Cahill - one would have to be the spare man, occasionally helping out against Recoba , while the other keeps tab on Pablo Garcia.

^8 = Whether it’s Cahill or Kewell occupying this spot, if it's an advanced role, we can effectively switch the system to 3-4-3. Let Bresciano play the withdrawn role and pull the strings in the centre of the park, while that leaves Cahill/Kewell to add some variety to our attack by way of trickery and quick feet to supplement the two big men in Viduka and Aloisi.

dude you have either a short memory or no idea
can you rememer the iran game?????!!!! 2-2?? that is two goals for a starter
not to mention about another four or five campaigns

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
nedzelic said:
dude you have either a short memory or no idea
can you rememer the iran game?????!!!! 2-2?? that is two goals for a starter
not to mention about another four or five campaigns
The fact iz we have never won by a 2 goal margin in a WC qualifier.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
copious said:
Why not just go to the game :)

And yeah there is, check the FFA website for more details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)