"auto mark" words? (1 Viewer)

Robbo9550

HSC
is it just me and a couple of friends at my school that have postulated on rather strong joint evidence that there are words you can just shove in into a particular subject exam that automatically give you marks? even when you read over it and it doesn't really make sense, you get the image of the teacher skim marking it at 11pm at night drinking coffee and doing a little *tick!* every time he/she sees that key word that makes horrible syntax and expression ok. some examples below:

Earth Science= accumulation, sediments English Advanced=Tone, juxtaposition
Religion= (islam) din, zakat, arkan-al-islam, tawaf....actually scrap that any word in arabic will be jizzed on by a marker
Extension history= polemic (controversial argument), zeitgiest (fancy word for academic context)
Modern= Factor, anytime quotation marks are used even when its pretty obvious you made up the quote on the spot eg). "The Whites will be crushed to the ground by the Reds like a drinker smashes the bartender when he doesn't give him more to drink"

anyone else notice something similar? :jump:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
is it just me and a couple of friends at my school that have postulated on rather strong joint evidence that there are words you can just shove in into a particular subject exam that automatically give you marks? even when you read over it and it doesn't really make sense, you get the image of the teacher skim marking it at 11pm at night drinking coffee and doing a little *tick!* every time he/she sees that key word that makes horrible syntax and expression ok. some examples below:

Religion= (islam) din, zakat, arkan-al-islam, tawaf....actually scrap that any word in arabic will be jizzed on by a marker
Extension history= polemic (controversial argument), zeitgiest (fancy word for academic context)
Modern= Factor, anytime quotation marks are used even when its pretty obvious you made up the quote on the spot eg). "The Whites will be crushed to the ground by the Reds like a drinker smashes the bartender when he doesn't give him more to drink"

Obviously context is important. A list of these sort of words isn't going to help. However, introducing them in a valid sentence shows an attempt at expressing knowledge, which could be given marks. E.g

This can be seen through juxtaposition.
This is evident because of the current zeitgeist

They both show some understand through context, and could be awarded marks. Things like:

Fatwah is the god
Factors are things

Probably realistically won't get you any more marks

avro

HSC
English Advanced=Tone, juxtaposition
Clearly they will love that because they are literary techniques. I believe you should be using them in your essay already, as well as a whole heap of other ones you were taught in junior high school.

Girls

HSC
Back in junior school English it was 'resilient' for me. God, they loved it.

Now I have to use fancy words like facade and onus. :frown2:

D94

HSC
N/A

Sure, next time we write an Islam religion essay, we'll write it in Arabic, just to ensure we get full marks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Obviously you need to use certain terminology at appropriate times. You can't just throw in these words and expect 20/20. For Religion, Extension and Modern, it's the way you argue your opinion which will get you marks. This would incorporate those terminology, but having a deeper understanding than just face value words, is far more important.

But using those terminology or quotes are a prerequisite to doing well. So, like what Absolutezero said, you're not going to get any more extra marks using those words. The marking criteria will ask for those aspects in a response, maybe not so directly, but things like "supporting your argument" would definitely require some quotes and context, or "using relevant terminology" would definitely require the use of topic-specific words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)