Autocomplete In Windows (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
When I save a file in Windows, there are far too many autocomplete files on my computer and I want to delete them. I know how to delete the autocomplete files in Internet Explorer but I want to delete them in Windows. I have done a few searches and I can only find tutorials showing how to delete Internet Explorer autocomplete files. If anyone knows how to do this please tell me. Thanks:).

Jeo

You have to delete a bunch of registry keys. Just do a search, and delete them.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Jeo
You have to delete a bunch of registry keys. Just do a search, and delete them.
As in Start-->Search:confused:? Then What do I type in: the file name:confused:?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Is this the one on the address bar or the one when you type a few letters of your username and a list drops down?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
Is this the one on the address bar or the one when you type a few letters of your username and a list drops down?
This is not for Internet Explorer. Just say you save a picture and then go to "Save As", then you type a file name for the picture such as CD Cover and then a list of previous picture files drops down like C:\My Pictures\001.jpg. I want to know how to delete these:).

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
As in Start-->Search:confused:? Then What do I type in: the file name:confused:?
Start> Run> regedit

Winston

HSC
This is not for Internet Explorer. Just say you save a picture and then go to "Save As", then you type a file name for the picture such as CD Cover and then a list of previous picture files drops down like C:\My Pictures\001.jpg. I want to know how to delete these:).
are u saying for example if i right click on ur avatar and u go to save picture as and its in the my pictures folder for example and u press a letter say like 'f' and then a drop down comes in the save file dialog?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
are u saying for example if i right click on ur avatar and u go to save picture as and its in the my pictures folder for example and u press a letter say like 'f' and then a drop down comes in the save file dialog?
Yep, exactly:).

Winston

HSC
Yep, exactly:).
that's not specifcally autocomplete then if it's what i'm finking

autocomplete is really a term mainly for IE, as you see when you type a letter the drop down for the text box appears, but the list consists of entries entered from the past, where as in a save or open dialog box, when you press a letter say "a", what it does is, it just displays all the files in that specific directory i.e. my pictures, that begin with the letter 'a', do you get what i mean, it's not like stored paths.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
that's not specifcally autocomplete then if it's what i'm finking

autocomplete is really a term mainly for IE, as you see when you type a letter the drop down for the text box appears, but the list consists of entries entered from the past, where as in a save or open dialog box, when you press a letter say "a", what it does is, it just displays all the files in that specific directory i.e. my pictures, that begin with the letter 'a', do you get what i mean, it's not like stored paths.
So you can't delete it? Damn:(.

Winston

HSC
So you can't delete it? Damn:(.
how can you physically delete something thats temporarily generated?, the list is generated based on the character you type, if u type a it will generate a alphabetically sorted list of all the files beginning with a in the directory your in, this feature is there primarily because the Windows Open File Dialog, make looking for files in a large directory easier, say if u went to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and looked for shell32.dll it will be quicker, but u may ask why u would have it in the Save File dialog, as it makes saving the files in the same file name with a additional change easier i.e. Example1.jpg, Example2.jpg, and it's also good for overwriting files, but it was there primarily because the Open Dialog and Save Dialog all inherit and share alot of the same characteristics.

Huy

HSC
N/A
^ What he said.

It's not that much of an inconvenience, and I prefer it.

I was confused with "autocomplete" as well, and I agree with Winston because it added to my confusion in understanding "what the problem is" exactly :)

Suggestion: don't save anything, or don't push any keys on the keyboard.

Because what Winston said was correct, it's like the riddle with the chicken and the egg. You can't have one, without the other.

I think it's useful and convenient.

My two cents. :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I thought it was called autocomplete because it works kind of like autocomplete. Oh well, thank you both for your time and help:).

Antisocial

When I save a file in Windows, there are far too many autocomplete files on my computer and I want to delete them. I know how to delete the autocomplete files in Internet Explorer but I want to delete them in Windows. I have done a few searches and I can only find tutorials showing how to delete Internet Explorer autocomplete files. If anyone knows how to do this please tell me. Thanks:).
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but...

Open up Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete.

And uncheck web addresses. See if that is what you wanted and if it isn't... well, disregard this. :D
Should work for Windows because it's treated like web address...

Edit: NB. This isn't really 'deleting' them.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
@Anti: That's not what she means.

That's why Winston/I were confused about it when she said "Autocomplete" :)

See Winston's third post, this thread.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah, Antisocial that is something different, sorry I I comfused you. Thanks for your help anyway:).

Huy, I am a HE:rofl:. You are the second person on this forum to think I am a girl (Cyph was the first):lol:. What do I do to make people think I am a girl:eek:?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Use the clear history button to clear auto complete

or use Netcaptor rather than IE6

it is a "skin" on IE that allows you to clear stuff like that easily, it also blocks ads and has mouse gestures and tabbed browsing

However, i am not allowed to tell you how to obtain it for free

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

it is a "skin" on IE that allows you to clear stuff like that easily, it also blocks ads and has mouse gestures and tabbed browsing

ok i think i'm going to lock the thread, ad people repeatedly think it's IE autocomplete! argghhhh :chainsaw:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

i think your refering to Microgarden

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Jm1234567890, it is not AutoComplete on Internet Explorer. I know what is going on now anyway. Thanks for your interest though:).

By the way what is tabbed browsing:confused:?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)