Average Cutoff for Band 6? (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
Around 21/25 per section (i.e. a Band 6 response per section), so a total of around 84.

It wouldn't really make sense for the cutoff to be much lower than around 84/100 raw give or take. If you can deliver a Band 6 response per section (i.e. that top Band response in the marking criteria), that should be worthy of a final Band 6.

inJust

HSC
Yeah but what about after aligning and that... For example, it's only like 80 for band 6 in business studies apparently (according to raw mark database which doesn't have modern)

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah but what about after aligning and that... For example, it's only like 80 for band 6 in business studies apparently (according to raw mark database which doesn't have modern)
...I said around 84 raw, give or take.

Each section is aligned according to the set standard (i.e. the core topic, because every student does that topic) and how students doing different topics perform in each section. But generally, if you can manage a Band 6 response in each section, that should result in a 90+ exam mark.

enoilgam

HSC
Around 21/25 per section (i.e. a Band 6 response per section), so a total of around 84.

It wouldn't really make sense for the cutoff to be much lower than around 84/100 raw give or take. If you can deliver a Band 6 response per section (i.e. that top Band response in the marking criteria), that should be worthy of a final Band 6.
This I reckon - if you average a band 6 in each section that should align to a band 6.

stillthinkin

HSC
It changes depending on the nature of the exam if its really easy the cut off will go into the 89-90 range, but if its really hard it'll go down to an 85. But usually the average band 6 is between 89-90 and higher

inJust

HSC
It changes depending on the nature of the exam if its really easy the cut off will go into the 89-90 range, but if its really hard it'll go down to an 85. But usually the average band 6 is between 89-90 and higher
As if it's that high.

stillthinkin

HSC
As if it's that high.
Actually it is, my teachers uncle is the one of the supervisors of marking this year and he says that it changes and fluctuates depending on the difficulty of the exam and the questions. So one year a 85 may not be a band six whereas other years it will. There is no set cutoff, so you'll just have to see based on the exam.

D94

HSC
N/A
I very much doubt that. That's implying the standard to achieve a Band 6 in each section isn't enough to achieve an overall Band 6. Yes the cutoff will definitely change based on difficulty (everyone knows that), but the claim that 90+ raw is needed to get a Band 6 is absurd, unless you have evidence or a confirmed statistic. The modern history paper is fairly similar in difficulty each year, there's only so much you can change so you wouldn't expect large differences. You're essentially saying, on average, Modern is the most easiest subject of all.

jenslekman

HSC
does anyone know what the scaling is like between different topics?

stillthinkin

HSC
I very much doubt that. That's implying the standard to achieve a Band 6 in each section isn't enough to achieve an overall Band 6. Yes the cutoff will definitely change based on difficulty (everyone knows that), but the claim that 90+ raw is needed to get a Band 6 is absurd, unless you have evidence or a confirmed statistic. The modern history paper is fairly similar in difficulty each year, there's only so much you can change so you wouldn't expect large differences. You're essentially saying, on average, Modern is the most easiest subject of all.
I am just going off what I have been told by my teacher and the other markers that I've spoken to. I'm aiming high and don't really need to worry too much about the cut off, plus I haven't had too much experience with logistical aspect of marking. With this said, I have always been told by my teachers to aim for the 24-25 in each section. So apologies if what I have been informed of does not correlate with the pattern of the entire state.

enoilgam

HSC
This - the raw mark needed for 90 is never that high - it is usually around the low-mid 80's.

I am just going off what I have been told by my teacher and the other markers that I've spoken to. I'm aiming high and don't really need to worry too much about the cut off, plus I haven't had too much experience with logistical aspect of marking. With this said, I have always been told by my teachers to aim for the 24-25 in each section. So apologies if what I have been informed of does not correlate with the pattern of the entire state.
Teachers can be very unreliable with this sort of thing.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks for this, I was wondering what the cut off would be on average.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow band 6 cut off is about what I got in trials, ,thought it'd be higher but yay (My school probably marks more leniently though!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)