AWD vs. 4WD vs. FWD vs. RWD (1 Viewer)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
MR for sure boss... because physics says so...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
never driven so can't really comment :( most people i'd imagine will only have experience with FR with a few lucky MR drivers.

and yeah it was an SL55 AMG.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
MR for sure boss... because physics says so...
I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the equal weight distribution allowing it to corner easily and gain traction when accelerating/decelerating at a high rate.

never driven so can't really comment :( most people i'd imagine will only have experience with FR with a few lucky MR drivers.

and yeah it was an SL55 AMG.
Maybe bucket list it lol?

Nice. Not many people have the chance to drive an AMG at all.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The MR2, the only cheap modernish mr drivetrain, by all accounts handles fairly ordinarily.

They spin at the limit where other cars slide, not really desireable in a street car.

In racing, the turbo sw20 mr2 is barely competitive with lightly modified mx5s.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
^ S2000's are going fairly cheap now days... (still very expensive for my budget...) that's an MR platform... Very good one at that too... they were expensive as bat shit when they came out but...

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^ S2000's are going fairly cheap now days... (still very expensive for my budget...) that's an MR platform... Very good one at that too... they were expensive as bat shit when they came out but...
Do you know how cheap that is bro? You can get an S2000 for free?

Jokes.

What about the NSX. I mean they aren't too much nowadays and surely everyday joes can get one (if you can find one).

I've seen heaps of the Acura one's but only one or two of the Honda's for some odd reason.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The s2000 isn't MR, it's FR, it would probably be scary (moreso) if it was MR

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What about the NSX. I mean they aren't too much nowadays and surely everyday joes can get one (if you can find one).

I've seen heaps of the Acura one's but only one or two of the Honda's for some odd reason.
The Acuras are LHD, and if not have been converted - no good when there are RHD versions and especially odd with a japanese car over here. NSX's also aren't THAT cheap. 86/BRZ money for a 10 year old car and a good one a lot more.

Fonzie32

HSC
Driven in FWD, RWD and AWD. RWD for me isn't fun at all. The steering is also usually heavier if your car has shitty ass power steering and also has more lag when trying to accelerate fast. FWD is more fun. Especially in a turbo car. I drove a Golf GTI on my L's most of the time and the feeling of feeling the boost through the wheel is amazing.

Currently my daily is AWD and personally I find it the easiest and most practical to drive. Being a VW, the power goes to the front wheels first then to the rear when you give it a bit of a boot, but if you keep at low acceleration it basically acts as FWD for efficiency.

The grip in AWD is just a life saver. My tires were almost gone and there was still plenty of grip on wet roads (not that I'm thrashing it around corners in the rain, but the general feeling of the car through the streets is enough to feel the grip).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Driven in FWD, RWD and AWD. RWD for me isn't fun at all. The steering is also usually heavier if your car has shitty ass power steering and also has more lag when trying to accelerate fast. FWD is more fun. Especially in a turbo car. I drove a Golf GTI on my L's most of the time and the feeling of feeling the boost through the wheel is amazing.

Currently my daily is AWD and personally I find it the easiest and most practical to drive. Being a VW, the power goes to the front wheels first then to the rear when you give it a bit of a boot, but if you keep at low acceleration it basically acts as FWD for efficiency.

The grip in AWD is just a life saver. My tires were almost gone and there was still plenty of grip on wet roads (not that I'm thrashing it around corners in the rain, but the general feeling of the car through the streets is enough to feel the grip).
Golf GTI gets tyre spin way too easily in my experience when I test drove the V and VI. I didn't feel that confident driving it and having to baby it. That being said, my RWD Benz requires a bit of a light foot too otherwise you'll go nowhere. I personally have had a lot of fun driving RWD cars (but admittedly they have been quite decent), but AWD feels so much more sure-footed. I remember driving quite dangerously even in the wet in the Evo and just feeling like the car was on rails and dead solid.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Golf GTI gets tyre spin way too easily in my experience when I test drove the V and VI. I didn't feel that confident driving it and having to baby it. That being said, my RWD Benz requires a bit of a light foot too otherwise you'll go nowhere. I personally have had a lot of fun driving RWD cars (but admittedly they have been quite decent), but AWD feels so much more sure-footed. I remember driving quite dangerously even in the wet in the Evo and just feeling like the car was on rails and dead solid.
Its taken me months to get a tiny bit of skid in my AWD.

And the skid was 20cm long in dry weather (Not a good idea to launch in tyres which have lost some pressure).

Fonzie32

HSC
Agreed the GTI does wheel spin easy if you give it a boot, but in city traffic you don't get that much chance to give it a good go anyway haha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Its taken me months to get a tiny bit of skid in my AWD.

And the skid was 20cm long in dry weather (Not a good idea to launch in tyres which have lost some pressure).
I was able to skid my Evo in the dry quite easily after I had it tuned and turned stability/traction control off. The factory tune needed it to be wet to do anything dangerous.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was able to skid my Evo in the dry quite easily after I had it tuned and turned stability/traction control off. The factory tune needed it to be wet to do anything dangerous.
90% of cars without differentials or having the differentials malfunctioning will skid regardless how much power they have.

You can't turn off traction control in my '98. The differentials kick in after a tiny skid to prevent traction loss. Though being high off the ground this car could possibly flip if I turn to fast hence I would never risk anything remotely which could make it go sideways. Only 1DOF for me.

But its enjoyable being able to see the vehicle behind diminish when entering an empty motorway/freeway then they catch up to you when you don't break the speed limit but they do lol.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just saying, considering the weight of a liberty and the power an NA ej25 makes, you must be thrashing it if you are consistently getting that far ahead of other cars.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just saying, considering the weight of a liberty and the power an NA ej25 makes, you must be thrashing it if you are consistently getting that far ahead of other cars.
Who said I wasn't :p

Its a 10+ second car.

Btw, I don't thrash it for more than 4 seconds because usually that's the speed limit and I don't want to increase damage by revving it over 6000rpm.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)