• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

aymptotes (2 Viewers)

YannY

HSC
Wow people and their laziness these days... Do you not have access to the syllabus?

HSC
meh
my teacher reckons its not but they were in the text book
i just wanted to see if anyone already knew before i went looking for the syllabus.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Should be, but obtaining them is quite simple.

HSC
yeah i no how to obtain them
i was just wondering if i should expect them in 3 unit and not only 4 unit

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If you're doing 4unit, why worry about if assmyptotes are in 3unit if you're already doing 4unit which automatically have assmyptotes? :S

DJel

HSC
According to my teacher they are not in the 3U syllabus. The textbook we use (maths in focus) also has a question involving an oblique asymptote though. Also searching 'oblique' in the syllabus returns 0 results.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I learnt about 'oblique' asymptotes at school and they even examined it in assessments. It hasn't been explicitly stated in the syllabus because it just says "asymptotes" in general. However, one of the examples recommended in the syllabus has an oblique asymptote of y = x:

From section 10.5 of the 2 Unit part of 'Geometrical Applications of Differentiation":

"The sketching of curves such as quadratics, cubics and higher polynomials and simple rational functions. After computing some values (which may include points where x = 0 and where y = 0), the determination of the stationary points is frequently very useful. Other considerations are symmetry about the axes, behaviour for very large positive and negative values of x, and the points at which functions such as: y= 1/(x - 1), y = x + 1/x, y = 1/x, are defined"

The curve y = x + 1/x has an asymptote of y = x, and this curve has been stated as an example in the 2 unit part of the syllabus. So from that I guess you can say that oblique asymptotes are actually in syllabus, and more surprisingly the 2 unit syllabus....

HSC
Re: asymptotes

surely it cant be part of the 2 unit course?? they dont no how to long divide polynomials.
unless there given the actual equation already divided??
would be pretty mean tho

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Re: asymptotes

You don't need to know how to divide polynomials. You just re-arrange in little groups. Unless you mean for higher degree ones like this:

y=x^3/(x-1) = (x^3-1)/(x-1) + 1/(x-1) = x^2+x+1+1/(x-1) but that won't give you an oblique asymptote so much as curve guidelines (both g(x)=x^2+x+1 and f(x)=1/(x-1) trace g(x)+f(x) for extremities)

Or do you mean these:

y=(x^2+x+1)/(x+1) ?
y=(x^2+x)/(x+1) +1/(x-1)
y=x+1/(x-1)

Or maybe:
y=(2x^2-3x+5)/(x-3)
y=(2x^2-6x +3x+5)/(x-3)
y=2x + (3x-9 +14)/(x-3)
y=2x+3+14/(x-3)

Hmm. I suppose I just did long division without realising it. It's really quite simple for quadratic or less on top... which is all oblique asymptotes are, unless the bottom is quadratic or more.

So yeah, there are certainly basic cases of oblique asymptotes that are well within the grasp and syllabus of 2u students.

I believe I remember learning what they were (and how to graph them) in 2unit and learning how to find them when not given in 3unit.

mantiswhoprays

HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
hey i was just wondering if anyone knows if oblique asymptotes is part of the syllabus for ext 1?
yeah, they're part of curve sketching for the hsc. we just finished them, we only spent about 1 period on them, not a significant chunk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)