B Arts (Languages) Contact Hours (1 Viewer)

wake_tonight

HSC
I'm just curious as to the amount of contact hours in the B Arts (Languages) degree. How many hours per week, and is it the same as a regular B Arts of B Arts (Advanced)?
Thankyou!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Arts (languages) is my 1st preference. Most of your questions could be answered with some research. I don't really know the sort of contact hours invloved in the degree.

chepas

HSC
G'day there,

BA (Lang) is literally just an Arts degree but four years long instead of the pure BA's three. In that extra year, you have to complete an overseas exchange of at least 6 months in the country of your language major. In this respect, it's not the same as the pure BA degree, and also not like the BA (Adv) where there you have to complete a certain number of 'designated Advanced' courses.

Another difference between the straight BA at least is that you have to do two majors eventually. And one of these must be a language.

As for hours per week, that depends entirely on the subjects you choose. I only did three 6 credit point subjects per semester last year instead of the normal four and ended up with 12 hours/week, so a good estimate could probably be about 16-17 hours. Again, depending on your subjects. So you will have to know what subjects you choose/chose and have to look in the handbook to see how many hours per week it is. Add the four subjects' (equal to 24 credit points/semester) hours together and then you have how many hours you will do a week.

Check out the Arts Faculty Handbook for subjects that interest you. It's a lot of stuff to wade through but should give you a fairly good idea on how to structure your degree. On enrolment day they give all the BA Langers a sheet with all this sort of stuff in it - rules, regulations etc.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I was going to do this. Is this a fun degree? Oh, fleep, what scholarship did you get?

chepas

HSC
It's not a scholarship, it's just a bursary-type thing that the School of Languages and Cultures gives you to help for the compulsory exchange, to the tune of $5000 (which should do your airfare, and the majority of your souvenirs ;)). But to that/to stay in the degree you have to have a credit average across your subjects (don't ask me how that is calculated) for the first three years of your course or when you go on exchange - whichever is first.

(About WHEN you take your exchange, you can do it in second year, but for that you ahve to do a full load in your first year, and will also have to really have your head screwed on and do your applications etc by October/whatever the date is in that same first year. So I think usually what happens is that BA Langers go on exchange in their third year (what I'll be doing. Adieu, l'Australie in July 2007).)

Fun degree, again depends what you choose and how you structure it. I love what I'm doing because all that I do interests me, which I suppose you could translate into fun. With my subjects class sizes are also rather/comparatively small, so I suppose it made it easy to connect with people and become friends etc (but that's sort of subjective and I have no idea about the huge massive classes lol).

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cherryblossom said:
I was going to do this. Is this a fun degree? Oh, fleep, what scholarship did you get?
I got a USYD entry scholarship for the arts faculty. 5000 dollars, for the first year only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)