B Arts & Sciences (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
does anyone do this course?

if so, could you please tell me if it is suitable for someone who is interested in social psychology, sociology, criminology, anthopology, social policy, and social research and inquiry???

I am currently studying social sciences and social psychology at UWS (ewww) and i might have a chance on transferring to this course because my NRSL is 74, and the UAI cut-off for this (currently) is 75, and the NRSL cut-off for courses is usually lower :D.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, it's usually much lower.
This guy can tell you if you would get in:
Andrey Keywan [A.Keywan@records.usyd.edu.au]

Criminology at usyd isnt offered (except to people doing a criminology degree)
You are free to choose most electives in psych (but its unlikely you'll ONLY do social psychology)
Anthropology - yes
Sociology - yes
Sociol policy etc - kind of.

Ask the person if you can get in to B Economic and Social Sciences - that may suit you more.
You could major in Government & International Relations (your policy wants etc)
and minor in Political Economy - a slightly lefty take on how economics is shit (also looks at social policy etc).
Plus you'll have lots of space to do a major in another subject of your choice + electives.

Med

HSC
hey,

i was at the syd open day today and attended a lecture for this course.
you mentioned that the uai cut-off was 75 for 2005, however the lecturer said that it was 78 and that she believed it would go up by at least 5 marks (so that makes it 83) because the course was not initially published in the Arts guide as the uni missed the publish date.

that sucks huh?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
1) it was 75
2) the lecturer has absolutely no clue. I believe it will go up by 10 points, does that make me correct? The lecturer is just speculating.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i predict your cholesterol levels go up by 102

Med

HSC
lol ok.. just thought i would mention the possibility of the UAI rising as it is a relatively new course.. hope she had no clue and it stays the same..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it is, however, likely it will rise. I predict 78-80 but my prediction is as good as any

Med

HSC
hope it stays in that margin.. that is, that it rises by only 2 marks..

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Med said:
hey,

i was at the syd open day today and attended a lecture for this course.
you mentioned that the uai cut-off was 75 for 2005, however the lecturer said that it was 78 and that she believed it would go up by at least 5 marks (so that makes it 83) because the course was not initially published in the Arts guide as the uni missed the publish date.

that sucks huh?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Generator

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
1) it was 75
2) the lecturer has absolutely no clue. I believe it will go up by 10 points, does that make me correct? The lecturer is just speculating.
Stazi is always correct. All hail stazi!

Meanwhile, the lecturer is far more likely to have some idea as to the eventual cutoff than some snotty-nosed dick on BOS. Remember, lecturers are far more likely to be aware of the relevant UAI trends (especially a lecturer charged with providing information for the course on such an important day), and they may also have some inside knowledge as to the artificial raising of a UAI cut-off (it does happen every now and again).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lecturers have as much idea as teachers and careers advisors do. UAC handles place allocation, then notifies deans (not lecturers). Considering preferences werent locked in until the 5th of December (day after the lecture), somehow I doubt that he can see into the future to assess how many people are going into the course.
All the lecturer is doing, is saying "last time it was a new course, less people went for it as it wasnt in the uac book, also some doubted it. This time its a published course, more people will go for it". You don't have to be an idiot to come up with the same prediction. However, guessing the cutoff leads to more harm than good.

Generator

HSC
N/A
As I said, the lecturer is far more likley to have some idea as to the nature of the eventual cut-off than anyone else, because even if no such university-driven rise occurs, they are likley to have some idea as to the demand given that they would have more than close ties to the university's administration. There's nothing to be gained by equating a lecturer providing information on such a day with a teacher or a careers advisor, because there is no meaningful similarity to be found.

Disregard what I have to say, though. I know that you will.

Edit: The lecturer may well be wrong, but I take issue with the suggestion that such a person is just thinking on the run. If the comment is made at such an information day, then it's safe to assume that there has been some thought put into the notion by the university's bureaucracy. That's all.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actual demand is unknown until after the 5th (and later than that by the uni). At the info day an advisor I spoke to said that commerce has a lot of demand that year and that the cutoff is likely to go very high. It actually fell substantially. I'm sure a lot of thought was put into that as well.
Even for B Arts & Sciences (which I initially put as my first preference), they told me that it's likely to be very similar to B arts. Well, they were wrong by 10 points.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
with this degree ... or b arts/b sci, can you basically just choose whatever you want to do. like ive seen the 'sample' study plans and stuff, but really all i would want to do is pick my own electives in fields like psych, economics, environmental studies etc. cause i wouldnt plan on finishing this anyway so i dont really care about the whole 'major' thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)