• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B.Bus/Com - ABL?? Help?? (2 Viewers)

munchie569

HSC
sorry wat i meant was how does the international bus key programs fair with that of accounting in terms of finding a job? is it easier or harder to find a job?

John0

HSC
I cant really comment on how difficult international business/global management is compared to accounting, to be honest they're two completely different fields. But there is a general perception that accounting is one of the more difficult key programs to do. The accounting key program gets you qualified to start the CPA/ CA course which would make you employable very by Big four and mid tier accounting firms. It isnt the end of the world if you dont do accounting since the big four do take on gradutes in multiple business disciplines.

The elective unit your refering to in the first year is the only difference between key programs, although some key programs would prefer either eco methods or stats. It shouldnt be an issue since you dont do these units until spring in most key program structures and you should have a good idea what you want to do by then.

munchie569

HSC
oh i thought we start 23rd feb...orientation then? and yes im going to be there at paramatta campus lol

haylz234

HSC
orientation for the business students is on friday the 20th - 9am till 4pm...think its a good idea to go, they apparently explain a lot.

go onto the website, hit orientation, and its all there for you.

yeah, thanks again johno. lifesaver!

John0

HSC
No worries, btw dont forget to register for tutorials and lectures next week.

haylz234

HSC
okay, new problem.

so i get that i had to fill out the resignation form, which i am sending in tomorrow. however, i just went online to OSCAS to enroll, didnt accept said i was already enrolled. i then went on to MySR - and i have two courses listed, see pic below

Your Course Details

[SIZE=+0]Course:2739 - Bachelor of Business and Commerce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Campus:PARRAMATTA CAMPUS [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Nominated Attendance Mode / Type:ON CAMPUS / FULL TIME [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Advanced Standing for Course2739 U[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]nits for Course:2739 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Course:2741 - Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Advanced Business Leadership)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Campus:PARRAMATTA CAMPUS [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Nominated Attendance Mode / Type:ON CAMPUS / FULL TIME [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]A[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]dvanced Standing for Course2741 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Units for Course:2741 [/SIZE]

what to do now??
am i technically enrolled in two courses?

so then i went onto the ABL one and tried to organise my units in order to be taking core subjects for international business (my major) - however it has arranged them like this

Course:2741 - Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Advanced Business Leadership)
  • Below are the enrolled units for your course.
  • For completed units use the Units Results link in the main menu.
Teaching Period Unit Code Unit Name Campus Class Status Enrolled CP
2009/AUT 200083 Marketing Principles PAR DAY UNCONFIRM
2009/AUT 200101 Accounting Information for Managers PAR DAY UNCONFIRM
2009/AUT 200336 Business Academic Skills PAR DAY UNCONFIRM
2009/AUT 200525 Principles of Economics PAR DAY UNCONFIRM
2009/SPR 200184 Introduction to Business Law PAR DAY UNCONFIRM
2009/SPR 200571 Management Dynamics PAR DAY UNCONFIRM

except, i dont want to do them in this order - i want to do them in the order i enrolled them when i accepted and enrolled in the plain bus/com degree, like this:

Course:2739 - Bachelor of Business and Commerce
  • Below are the enrolled units for your course.
  • For completed units use the Units Results link in the main menu.
Teaching Period Unit Code Unit Name Campus Class Status Enrolled CP
2009/AUT 200083 Marketing Principles PAR DAY ENROLLED 10
2009/AUT 200336 Business Academic Skills PAR DAY ENROLLED 10
2009/AUT 200571 Management Dynamics PAR EVENING ENROLLED 10
2009/AUT 200591 Introduction to International Business PAR DAY ENROLLED 10

does anyone have any idea what i need to do?

when i try to enrol the ABL units the way i want, it either tells me the unit doesnt exist, or it tries to tell me to take it next semester. but i want to follow the intl business structure....

what am i suppose to do?

thanks for any advice,

Hayley

John0

HSC
Im pretty sure when u send in the resignation form they will clear the bus & comm course on the course details page, atleast thats what i think they would do. I had alook at my enrollment it doesnt look like you can delete the course, so im assuming they do it.

Did you try deleting the units they put in the ABL course? Im pretty sure the units come up as they dont exist since they are already added, and it will tell you to take it next semester if your already enrolled in 4 units(fulltime study, you need permission to enroll in 5 or more units).

munchie569

HSC
i have a problem, i realised that the internationa bus N global management key program has only 2 units in space for electives therefore meaning that i cant do a major. 8 elective unit spaces r need to do a major? what should i do? should i stick to my current key program or should i switch to international bus by it self and do a finance major? I was just weighing the chances of getting a job in something thats global management related...wat r the odds?

haylz234

HSC
from what i understand munchie, you can still do that major - the units we do in the first year can count towards your major.

say for instance, you take economic methods and an economic elective in semester two - that already counts towards your major.

there's always going to be jobs in finance and always in globalisation-y jobs - everyone will always want money, and to use it all over the world. guess it depends how well you go, and all that.

good luck :)

munchie569

HSC
r u sure? i read in the bus and comm booklet that u need 8 elective spaces to do a major....i dont really get it tho....where do u find out if im able to still do a major with int bus and glb mgmt?

John0

HSC
Its quite possible to do a sub major with only 2 elective units, as haylz mentioned before alot of the sub majors/majors require units that you would complete anyway. So alot of sub majors might only require 1 or 2 electives to be undertaken in order to qualify.Majors are generally made up of 8, sub majors 4. I doubt that would be able to complete a major with only 2 spare electives, unless your able to find a major which has 6 units in common with your key program.

BTW looks like im transfering to ABL degree instead of doing it as a sub major. Im doin Advanced Business Seminars this semester which is turning out to be a real interesting unit, if you have any questions about it just ask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)