B Business / B Computing (1 Viewer)

IronMike

HSC
N/A
Whos doing this course?

were u guys surprised that this course wasnt 90 +...

i definately was...i was expecting it to be atleast 91.

oh wells...

add me if ur doing this course

jah_u@hotmail.com

yumchaboy

hey im doin it as well
but one thing
how many hours u got on ur time table for the week
frick, i added mine n i got sumthin like 6 and a half hours??!

Steve

Hey every1. Im doing b bus/ b comp 2. Jase- rex, thanks 4 the link 2 that thread. I was also getting a bit worried about the amount of hours per week. Ill add u iron mike. Any1 else doing this course, add me if u want. the_mighty_dragon@hotmail.com :D

does any1 know if the amount of hours per week goes up next year or does stay at around 11/12 hours?

MrA

why is the UAI Cutoff for the combined degrees with business (except for law) lower than for the single business degree?
isnt it usually the other way around?

IronMike

HSC
N/A
yeh. but for sum reason, combined degrees with business (eg. eng/bus, med sci/bus, sci/bus) all have low uais.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
hey the IT subjects in B Business B Computing have different names to the IT subjects in B Sc in IT

eg. B Computing would have Programming Fundamentals
and B Sci in IT would have Object Oriented Programming

are they equivalent subjects with different names?
or does the B Computing course offer easier IT subjects to the B Sc IT course?

jase-REX do you know why?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm guessing because they didn't want too many people in the core BScIT subjects. Its only the first and second year subjects that are different, the 3rd and 4th year subjects are the same as that of BscIT.

The subjects are equivalent of that in the BScIT, so don't worry about that. If you look at the IT major in the BBus degree, you do the same subjects as that in the BBus/BComputing. I guess they wanted to keep it the same. Also before 2002, UTS used to have a BComputing degree mainly for international students, and this course had a similar structure to that of the BComp in the BBus/BComp.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
it doesnt look equivalent though
coz B Sc in IT has Networking 1 and Networking 2
B Computing only has Networking Fundamentals

Below we look at the IT courses excluding its B Business, and Diploma of IT professional practice counterparts.

B Computing (2 years)
Core subjects - 66 credit points
One IT sub-major - 24 credit points
One IT elective subject - 6 credit points

B Science in Information Technology (3 years)
Core subjects - 96 credit points
One IT sub-major - 24 credit points
Four IT elective subjects - 24 credit points

so the B Computing course has 5 less core subjects than B Sc in IT, the Sub-major is the same, and B Computing has only 1 elective where as B Sc in IT has 4. Also you can sub-major in any IT sub-major in B Computing except for Networking.

so there is slightly little difference where the B Computing course is fast-tracked, and B Sc in IT requires 5 extra core units and 3 extra electives which is an equivalent to 1 more years worth of workload. hence making it 3 years and B computing 2 years.

i think i have answered my own question
hehehe

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I didn't say it was the same. I just said that the subjects in BComputing are equivalent to the ones that are covered in the BScIT, as you may have realised. There are extra subjects in the BScIT of course, and thats why its a good single IT degree on its own.

The BComputing includes the one IT elective subject because you may need to do an extra subject to do your IT sub-major. Eg. You need Dist. Comp. Architecture for the Internet Business Tech. sub-major, you need Data Structs. and Proc. Prog. for the Computer Graphics sub-major, and you need Networking 2 for the Internetworking sub-major.

With that said, I'm not sure why the handbook mentions that you can't do the Internetworking sub-major, coz if there are spaces available, then I think you can do it. I think its only because its quite a popular sub-major, but if you really wanted to do it, you probably could.

So in other words, you'll probably end up doing one of the other core subjects anyways, which just leaves you with a few that you haven't covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)