• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

B.Business/BA in International Studies at UTS (1 Viewer)

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 and post-trials, I've been looking around a little more at uni courses. I'd like to go into a Business/Commerce course.
Of course, I've tried throughout the year to get as high an ATAR as I can, but realistically, I think the 96.30 for UNSW is probably going to be a little too high for me. I'm not too big on USYD, even though I know most people will recommend UNSW and USYD as the 'best' for Business degrees. There is the other option at UNSW of the Bachelor of Arts and Business (ATAR of 90), but I'm worried this has a much larger emphasis on Arts than Business, partly due to the fact that it's offered by the Arts faculty. It might still be worth considering though.

So I've been considering Macquarie and UTS. Location-wise, Macquarie's marginally closer. I think if I went there, I would do the BA/BCom, which has a very attainable ATAR in the low 80's. However, a Macquarie student, told me the clubs and societies side of things isn't so great there so she's not a huge fan. Another friend though, who does Business there, got an internship, and has recently been offered full time work by the company.
**For me, this networking/internship prospective is very important- I really want practical experience.**

For UTS, the BBus ATAR is about 91, and I'm quite confident I'd achieve that. However, my careers adviser convinced me that I should really consider a combined degree. UTS has the BBus/BA in International Studies, and the opportunity to learn another language/get experience overseas is great in my opinion. The ATAR is 93.65, and at first, I thought I would be able to get this with a little help from bonus points. However, I emailed the university, and they told me that this course doesn't offer bonus points, so I'm a little stuck because I'm not confident that, realistically, I'd achieve over 93. One of my friends at UTS really loves it there, and looking at the course structure and the new Business facility they're building, as well as the handy location, I'm beginning to lean towards UTS.

- Essentially, I'd like to hear from anyone who does BBus/BA in International Studies at UTS to know what you think about it.
- Also, how does UTS go in terms of internships/networking? I've heard about exclusive meetings with industry professionals they organise, which sounds appealing, but I'm not sure if they do this for Business.
- Another question is, the same course is offered at UTS Kuringai, with a much lower ATAR. If I went to do it in Kuringai, am I getting the same level of education and benefits? I know in 2016 (I think?), they're getting rid of this campus, but I'm assuming they'll organise an easy transition to the City campus. I just want to know if there are many differences between learning at the City or Kuringai campuses.
- Finally, is a combined degree LOTS of work compared to, say, just doing the straight BBus?

I know this has been a long question, but choosing a uni and a course I'd enjoy is a big deal. Thanks!

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
1. How does UTS go in terms of internships/networking? They do organise meetings with Earnest and young, as well as deloitte and other accounting firms. They occasionally have internship fairs, such as this one. http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/careers/recruitment/vacation.html

2. Is the same course is offered at UTS Kuringai, with a much lower ATAR. If I went to do it in Kuringai, am I getting the same level of education and benefits? There are no differences in the level of education and benefits, it is just a different location, e.g. uws parramatta and uws bankstown.

3. Is a combined degree LOTS of work compared to, say, just doing the straight BBus? The level of work is around the same as, with combined degree you do a major from each of the degrees (which were combined), and with a single degree, you choose electives.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The course is the same at both locations, the atar is only lower because of supply and demand, more people want to go to the city campus etc.

1. How does UTS go in terms of internships/networking? They do organise meetings with Earnest and young, as well as deloitte and other accounting firms. They occasionally have internship fairs, such as this one. http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/careers/recruitment/vacation.html

2. Is the same course is offered at UTS Kuringai, with a much lower ATAR. If I went to do it in Kuringai, am I getting the same level of education and benefits? There are no differences in the level of education and benefits, it is just a different location, e.g. uws parramatta and uws bankstown.

3. Is a combined degree LOTS of work compared to, say, just doing the straight BBus?The level of work is around the same as, with combined degree you do a major from each of the degrees (which were combined), and with a single degree, you choose electives.
o boy *Ernst & Young

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
They do organise meetings with Earnest and young, as well as deloitte and other accounting firms.
Just to add, they do quite a bit alongside PwC, CPA Australia, and KPMG to name a few of the others. And it extends beyond mere meet & greets to things such as Mentor Relationship programs in which a PwC employee meets with a student as a mentor 4 times throughout the year.

While I study at the City campus I have heard from friends at the Kuring-Gai campus that the averages for the exams are significantly lower. For example, 3 of my friends doing the B Bus there said the average for the Accounting Mid Semester in Sem 1 was 12/40 while the average at the City campus was "above a pass" to quote my tutor (I didn't ever really find out the mark). But as the uni cycles the same lecturers and tutors in both campuses, it only reflects on the diligence of the students at the different campuses and not the quality of teaching.

My experience of the B Bus so far is that it's enjoyable and the way UTS staff teaches their subjects is truly well structured (with the exception of one subject I will not name). You learn methods of understanding content which help you excel, and the tutors and lecturers are all exceptional at what they do (at least the ones that I have had) as well as incredibly helpful outside of class.

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
Just to add, they do quite a bit alongside PwC, CPA Australia, and KPMG to name a few of the others. And it extends beyond mere meet & greets to things such as Mentor Relationship programs in which a PwC employee meets with a student as a mentor 4 times throughout the year.

That sounds really great. So on what basis do they select which students can have that mentoring? Could anyone who applied for it take part? Or are you chosen on how well you perform academically?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
That sounds really great. So on what basis do they select which students can have that mentoring? Could anyone who applied for it take part? Or are you chosen on how well you perform academically?
Technically everyone who applies has a chance, but they only select 4 and you submit a written application along with your academic transcript. I'm in the second (and final) round of selection now, but to my surprise they are not doing anything interview based at the moment. But the UTS Bsoc has more information regarding opportunities like these that arise during the year. It'd be similar at all universities, but you should feel confident that UTS Bsoc is at least on par with most :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)