• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Commerce at Macq?? (1 Viewer)

MrRock

HSC
Hi all.
Ok so atm I have accepted my offer for Bachelor Business Admin/ Bachelor Info Tech and i'm trying to work out timetables etc. I am looking at the option of transferring to Business Admin/ Law after first year. Now i need to complete these two Law units during this time (and obviously get the required gpa as well). So my question is what to put down on the timetable?

Do i put down courses for all of this year as if i was going to continue my current degree through for its entirety and then apply to transfer to Law units at start of second semester?

OR

Do i have to put down the law courses now on my yearly timetable

I guess if i do the law units and don't get into LLB i can always do some 200 unit law subjects in 2nd year. Or i might even decide that my current course is good enough and continue on.

The law units aside, i have three more questions regarding subject selections.

1. The handbook says i have to do ACCG105 or both ACCG100 and ACCG101 (same with BBA103 or both ECON110 and ECON111). So if i do 100 and 101 its going to take me a longer time, right? What's the point? Is 101 a necessary prerequisite to anything in later years etc?

2. Looking at the 100-level units, it looks like it will take me min 1.5 years to complete them all. So what would you guys suggest for first year? A mixture of IT and Business Units or to complete all of one and a couple from the other?

3. ISYS154, COMP155, COMP165 and MATH132 are all the advanced courses of ISYS114, COMP115, COMP125 and MATH135 respectively. What is the difference between the advanced courses and the normal courses? It says in the unit description that they cover the content more in depth but i'm guessing they are a lot harder. Also, if i am going for a good GPA for possible transfer into LLB in 2nd year, should i do these advanced courses (i am under the impression that a P in advanced is equal to a HD in the respective normal course)? Will they take into consideration that i did the advanced courses when working out my GPA?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

phrred

HSC
i dont go to macq but ive heard many good things about it, many people have placed UTS and macq commerce above usyd (esp UTS) for certain areas such as accounting but usyd rips in stuff like economics

as for law, usyd is obviously more prestige but is it really that good? many have said that its concreted into traditional roots and isnt innovative at all, many have also said its too academic and not practical. id still choose usyd law tho

u decide.

MrRock

HSC
Does anyone have any info about my questions above? Enrolment is coming up soon and I would appreciate some help.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I'll answer as best I can with my BBA/BA-Psych knowledge...

MrRock said:
Do i put down courses for all of this year as if i was going to continue my current degree through for its entirety and then apply to transfer to Law units at start of second semester?....
Yes. Generally, assume you're doing your current degree. You can change your enrolment/unit choices later when you get the transfer. Ideally you'd choose units for this first year that are common to your other degree to minimise the time wasted -- ie select units which might be classed as electives in your other degree, or those that are already core units.

MrRock said:
1. The handbook says i have to do ACCG105 or both ACCG100 and ACCG101 (same with BBA103 or both ECON110 and ECON111). So if i do 100 and 101 its going to take me a longer time, right? What's the point? Is 101 a necessary prerequisite to anything in later years etc?
ACCG105 is an 'easier' of 100 and 101. 100/101 is aimed at students interested in majoring (or, for a BBA, choosing their modules) in accounting. If you're not interested in accounting, they therefore give you a shorter method to the required accounting. So, it's your choice. As you say, 100/101 may be a prereq for further accg units, so you should check that up.

MrRock said:
2. Looking at the 100-level units, it looks like it will take me min 1.5 years to complete them all.
That's pretty normal for double degrees, it seems. Can't suggest a program for your degree though: there are academic advisors on enrolment day to help you with that.

MrRock said:
....It says in the unit description that they cover the content more in depth but i'm guessing they are a lot harder. Also, if i am going for a good GPA for possible transfer into LLB in 2nd year, should i do these advanced courses (i am under the impression that a P in advanced is equal to a HD in the respective normal course)? Will they take into consideration that i did the advanced courses when working out my GPA?
They will not take unit difficulty into account when calculating your GPA (However, I'd imagine it may be used in deciding waivers for you in the future if you just miss out on your GPA/other requirements). Can't tell you much about the units beyond that though, sorry. Anyone done them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)