B Communication and Media Studies/B Arts (and Graphic Design (New Media)) (1 Viewer)

Kao

HSC
So the double B Communication and Media Studies/B Arts degree is first on my preferences.

The thing with this is that I've suddenly realised I don't really know much about the course. So can people who are doing it give me an idea of what it's all like, particularly the media and communications side of it all?

Also, my original intention was to apply for the creative arts degree, graphic design and new media. But the portfolio thing put me off, and I thought I may transfer over after a year if I was unhappy with whatever I get into, rather than initially applying for it. Sooooo, is it possible to do Creative Artsy subjects within the Media/Arts degree in case I do decide to switch?

All assuming I get into a UOW course :p

nwatts

HSC
Graphic design and new media is a major in the Creative Arts degree, not Arts. And no, you can't really do graphic design subjects in a regular arts degree. You submit a portfolio and go for an interview to see if you're capable/suited to the graphic design course. It's illogical for the uni to let you sidestep all this in order for you to take these subjects.

You'll have to re-apply next year, submit a portfolio and go for an interview alongside all the 06ers. It'll also set you one year back. You've applied for a double degree, so I can imagine things would get very messy.

You really should have sorted all this out a few months ago.

For the BCM, see here - http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/dept_ArtMstudies.html

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Summer Session Electives (taught by the Faculty of Creative Arts):
Summer Session subjects are optional and are available to all students enrolled in the degree. Students must satisfy prerequisites for upper-level subjects.
These subjects are not all offered every year.
JOUR299 Desktop Publishing 8
DESN108 Screen Production 6
DESN109 Screen Production B 6
DESN190 Introduction to Digital Imaging 6
Looks umm.. pretty graphic design-ish to me...

Kao

HSC
nwatts said:
You'll have to re-apply next year, submit a portfolio and go for an interview alongside all the 06ers. It'll also set you one year back.
Yes, I know all that. It's only one of many potential possibilities I have up my sleeve, I was just wondering how easy it was to do.

nwatts said:
You can't really do graphic design subjects in a regular arts degree.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nwatts said:
And no, you can't really do graphic design subjects in a regular arts degree. You submit a portfolio and go for an interview to see if you're capable/suited to the graphic design course. It's illogical for the uni to let you sidestep all this in order for you to take these subjects.
Available subjects to all students at 100-level:
DESN108
DESN129
DESN190

Available subjects to all students at 200-level:
DESN290

You're right. You can't do DESN subjects in an Arts degree, except those mentioned above. There's not many, and I think one isn't offered next year, but it gives people outside of creative arts a taste of design. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Kao said:
So the double B Communication and Media Studies/B Arts degree is first on my preferences.
nwatts said:
They're summer classes, offered to BCM students, not to BA students.
Yeah, since we're talking about a BCM/BA i assumed he would be eligible

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
AsyLum said:
Yeah, since we're talking about a BCM/BA i assumed he would be eligible
Even if he's not, the list given is just the DESN General Schedule subjects for 100-level anyway. DESN109 doesn't exist anymore, at least not according to my research, so there's no difference between BCM and BA.

Either way, I reckon nwatts got owned. :)

nwatts

HSC
poloktim said:
Either way, I reckon nwatts got owned. :)
Well, I was the one discussing available BCA subjects within a BA with a variety of BCA lecturers last Friday. Talk to them if you want to continue your anally retentive pattern.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nwatts said:
Well, I was the one discussing available BCA subjects within a BA with a variety of BCA lecturers last Friday. Talk to them if you want to continue your anally retentive pattern.
It's all good, I know how to read a subject description. :)

dynamic22

Future Dictator
HSC
in terms of the communications and media degree EVERYBODY NEEDS TO DO IT

it is such an important degree, ranging from politics -philopsphy and covers all the issues that fuck up the world.

if ur the type of person who has strong opionions and like to assert them then u need to do this degree.

Your mind will change, ur view of the world will change and you will be better off.

My recommendation, dont do commerce, my gos is hell boring and useless to the improvement of our society.

Me= Anti-capitalism.

Do the comm degree and you'll become one too :)

lexy-kate

hey i do BCM/ Arts
In BCM you can do an advertising and marketing major, which although doesnt focus on the production of advertising, gives the theory behind it. If you combine it with the design subjects listed above, it will give a really good background and understanding of advertising theory and how to make ads. with the B arts, you can only do arts majors.. plus psychology. i do a psych major but it sucks.
anyway if you wnat to do the graphic designy part of uni in that degree i suggest adv and mark major with design electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)