B. Communication Studies / B. Law (1 Viewer)

spark

Dear friends

I've been given an offer by UWS and I'm seriously considering transferring from Uni of Wollongong to UWS. Work commitments, elite sports training (I train and work for 20-30 hours a week) and family has made UWS a very practical and sensible choice (i'm so sick of driving 1.5 hours!). The reputation of the uni doesn't concern me but I am interested in the reputation of the law and communications faculties, as well as the atmosphere of the campuses. How does the course structure and teaching style compare to other universities?

If anyone is doing this course or knows friends who are, please leave some advice for this rather lost boy. :)

spasibo!

santaslayer

HSC
heeeeyy...didn't you drop law @ UoW and only kept the other part of your degree..? Why are you picking it up again?

*looks at the uai fluctuations in amazement..??*

Jonathan A

HSC
natstar said:
Law is seminar based apparently- rather than lectuer based or something- which no other uni does. Ask Michelle- a BOS member on the UWS forums- she just finished her law/health science degree and shes knows lots about law

It's something other unis are phasing-in now. Our technology and facilities are quite advanced.

Jonathan A

HSC
spark said:
Dear friends

I've been given an offer by UWS and I'm seriously considering transferring from Uni of Wollongong to UWS. Work commitments, elite sports training (I train and work for 20-30 hours a week) and family has made UWS a very practical and sensible choice (i'm so sick of driving 1.5 hours!). The reputation of the uni doesn't concern me but I am interested in the reputation of the law and communications faculties, as well as the atmosphere of the campuses. How does the course structure and teaching style compare to other universities?

If anyone is doing this course or knows friends who are, please leave some advice for this rather lost boy. :)

spasibo!

As stated prior, UWS uses seminar-based teaching which means 4 hours per unit per week for law. The advantage is there is a stronger link between lecturer and student, which is quite important (its nice to know a lecturer knows your name).

As Asquithian pointed out, we are relatively new in the law world, however many UWS graduates have landed very good jobs, and like with all universities, your degree is approved by the LPAB as being sufficient to become a legal practitioner. What also caught my eye was the range of electives aimed to cater for specific areas of law, e.g. winery and law.

The facilities at the Uni are a working progress, but after attending a UWSConnect meeting, i can say that a lot of effort is being put into not only providing a warm environment, but also giving students a voice in what they want.

Good luck!

suz

HSC
wow will i can't believe ur leavin us at uow lol
newayz best of luck with whatever u decide!!!!!

Jonathan A

HSC
natstar said:
ok well i didnt know that the law school had only been open 4 years- i assumed it was opened when the rest of the uni was opened. So year 4 years aint a long time

its been open for well over four years. I have been searching the net for UWS Lawyers, there are heaps of them. How could Michelleanne, one of our honourable graduates have completed a double degree (with law) in less than four years seeing she finished last year? So you are not wrong Natstar.

Asquithian where did you get your info from?

spark

@santa/chris: No.. i never dropped law. ;)
@suz: I can't believe it either but I think it was inevitable. Good luck with your studies and I hope to bump into you off campus.
@natstar: I don't meet the requirements for cross institutional study but thank you for the suggestion. Even if I did, it would only be temporal relief ie. 2 semesters at most.

Thanks everyone for your insight and sentiments. I realise that the UWS law school is too young to be have built a good reputation for itself yet but in the end, it's what I make of it. Maybe I can somehow create a good name for it =p.

If I do well, then all I can hope for is the best. Additionally, the close proximity will enable me to completely appreciate campus life and focus on my studies more (hopefully =p). Being at UOW was just way too hectic trying to balance training, travelling and studying. 4 more years of it would have been too much to handle. I'm looking forward to being a UWSer. Hopefully, the campus life is alright at Penrith and Parramatta.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)