B Design (Vis Comm) question(s) (1 Viewer)

Dynamiteburrito

HSC
So, was gonna go to the design career/portfolio shebang on friday to maybe, with luck, get an early entry into the design course for next year.

Even then, if anyone here's done that course, or knows anything about it, if they could maybe tell me a bit about what it's like, if facilities are good, what the lecturer's are like, etc, that'd be awesome.

Cheers.

Dynamiteburrito

HSC
So, i've gotten my early offer, but i'd still like to know a bit more about what the course is like, if anyone can give any info.

grace_26

HSC
Hey, I went to the portfolio day too and also got an early entry :) Did they give you a course outline with all the electives and stuff ?

Dynamiteburrito

HSC
Yeah they did, though i've heard from a couple people that the degree wasn't that great when they studied it. Though that was a few years ago (like 4-5)

I tried asking the uni for more info about how the conditional offer works but they never got back to me...

grace_26

HSC
I know someone who did the course a few years ago and are working for the same company that they did their work experience for and they said they really liked the course. I also asked the people at the interview specifically about the first year of the course and about the design history and principles and they told me they still did quite a bit of pray work combined with each theory component. From what I've heard and seen about the course it looks pretty good because they have a range of areas in design that you can get into and you can actually get good jobs once you've finished.

As for the conditional offer I'm pretty sure you just need to have the course as your first preference on your UAC and the diploma of design as your second and then I guess just wait until HSC results come out.

nora22

HSC
N/A
So, i've gotten my early offer, but i'd still like to know a bit more about what the course is like, if anyone can give any info.
I did Visual Communication at UTS and loved it. It's a lot more work than most people think when it comes to design.. basically a lot of late nights, printing for assignments and work but in the end if using your creativity to make a living is what you're passionate about then it's great. I find Vis Com one of the best design degrees to study because we covered a huge range of areas in design like design history, typography, web, print, interactive code, etc.

In terms of technical ability, I remember first year a lot of the people in my year were really great drawers/sketchers but terribly at using computers. I was lucky that I already knew the Adobe Suite like Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign as I had used it quite a bit for my majors in high school but for others it took a while. Knowing those sort of skills are important in doing Vis Com as heaps of industries are going more digital and they are pretty much the requirements for most jobs these days.

Also main thing I learnt when I was doing my course (finished last year) was that you really start to develop your own style and identity as a designer while you're at uni. During my first year it was all about impressing the tutors to get good marks but by the end of the last year you start to realise none of that matters as design is subjective and you just need to do what you love and surprisingly you'll get better marks than what you did trying to impress the tutors.

Hope that gives you some sorta idea and if you have any other questions feel free to ask / PM me!
Nora :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)