B Design (VISUAL COMMUNICATION) [uai cutoffs/questions/help] (1 Viewer)

kathymon

HSC
I know this is a little late and all but atm my UAI score to enter UTS next is well really slim.
I was wondering, if i was to send an email (including somethings i've done, sort of like a portfolio) or see one of the student admins about entering UTS to study not through my academic score but my willingess, eagerness and passion, would they take that into consideration?

msh

HSC
kathymon said:
I know this is a little late and all but atm my UAI score to enter UTS next is well really slim.
I was wondering, if i was to send an email (including somethings i've done, sort of like a portfolio) or see one of the student admins about entering UTS to study not through my academic score but my willingess, eagerness and passion, would they take that into consideration?
The other way of getting in is through their non current school leaver method, which involves a tedious and strict selective method, where you have to surpass 3 stages of selection criteria.

1st stage - 2500 word personal statement. (They review them all and if you are successful you move onto the next round of selection. Apparently they pick about.. 60 people for an interview out of 500, so don't be too disheartened if you don't make it to the second selection step)

2nd/3rd stage - 20minutes of interview in regards to the statement + portfolio presentation of your best creative talent.
The number of non current school leaver spot is believed to be around 10~15 at max, so it is not any easier hence you should probably aim at getting the uai over 90..

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Hey, anyone wishing to get into viscom at UTS in 09?
Does anyone know when they are going to release the next cut-off mark?
Hope its not higher than the previous 90.05!

banno

HSC
gloworm14 said:
Hey, anyone wishing to get into viscom at UTS in 09?
Does anyone know when they are going to release the next cut-off mark?
Hope its not higher than the previous 90.05!
Um, its been out for a while hasn't it? 95.9. Not too bad considering we have the bonus point scheme in case. :D

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
banno said:
Um, its been out for a while hasn't it? 95.9. Not too bad considering we have the bonus point scheme in case. :D
isnt that for last years main entry?

BlytheChloe

HSC
95.9 is for entry in 2008.

Hope it goes down next year.

Anyway, I withdrew from my journalism course @ UTS and wish to apply to VC @ UTS for 09 and know that that's going to be hell difficult as a non current school leaver.

Is it any easier getting into interior design and then doing an internal course transfer since all the design courses do the same subjects right? Just the different majors?

Or can you advise me of any other courses that will get me a career in publishing, advertising or graphic design (or anything else along the lines of those)?

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
BlytheChloe said:
know that that's going to be hell difficult as a non current school leaver.
What? Why? :confused:

Whoever gave the link to TAFE on the first page, it's Fine Arts. Wtf? There's a Diploma in Graphic Design. UTS have an agreement with TAFE for up to 48 credit points.

I want to know if this course (B Design - Visual Comm) is any good. A lot of drawing?

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
msh said:
The number of non current school leaver spot is believed to be around 10~15 at max, so it is not any easier hence you should probably aim at getting the uai over 90..
What? Shit. Are you serious?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
who wants to get into or thinking about doing viscom in 09?
anyone who is doing it atm and would like to share some info on what its like?
thanks

thismodernlove

HSC
Call me naive or whatever, but up until last year I was dead set on wanting to do this course. Not only has the super high UAI put me off but after I thought about post-UNI, what kind of job can I get besides freelancing? :3 thank you for your help in advanced!

Crizzy

HSC
thismodernlove said:
Call me naive or whatever, but up until last year I was dead set on wanting to do this course. Not only has the super high UAI put me off but after I thought about post-UNI, what kind of job can I get besides freelancing? :3 thank you for your help in advanced!
I just gonna copy and paste what i found on the net

"There are several career paths open to people with design skills in the ad world.

Art Director - these are the people who design layouts for print ads, determine the look and feel for television commercials, and lend their expertise to other pieces that require thoughtful design.

Designer - As a designer, you might work less on ads and the like, and spend more time designer other "non-collateral" pieces such as posters, CD covers, packaging - most anything that isn't an actual ad.

Web Design - you can probably guess what this includes: basically designing web sites. Not writing all the technical language for them, but designing the look and feel of the site and making sure the look of the site matches the brand character of the client or business.

Illustration- Illustrators are also in high demand in the ad world. It's more of a specialized skill, and it might be a bit more difficult to market yourself, but there is certainly a demand for the work.

If you want to get into other types of design, there is also computer animation and computer graphics.
"

Muchi

HSC
umm could someone who does the UWS degree of someone whos sure aboutwhat they're saying im wondering, do u have to do visual arts or be creative for this course? do they teach you? whats the deal with it

pecky's lemon

HSC
I hope I get in to Vis Communications 09. Got a uai of 92.5 and i did well in art. Good luck to everyone else

mattbannister

HSC
Im currently doing Visual Comm @ UWS, but im not sure whether or not i should transfer for next year, some people are saying UWS is more practical and UTS is more theory based. Is this true? I dont mind UWS AT ALL, but uts is just easier to get to in regards to travelling.

I just want to know from those who go UTS for visual comm, how they find the course? is it more theory based than practical? or is it evenly placed, how many hours of uni do you guys do? How many days, how many tutorials per week? Is everyone there SNOBBY? because apparently people doing design are stuck up..

Hows the workload? I dont mind any of the things, just scared i wont like the people, the work in comparison to uws.

Also, is there anyone who was from UWS and transferred into UTS? DId you have to repeat any of the subjects you did at uws for uts? Are the subjects the same in first year, cause it seems like they arent..
I'm doing first year Vis Com @ UTS this year. I'm really liking the course so far, i wouldnt say it was more theory based at all. There is theory of course but not too much, and its definitely all helpful. I don't know off the top of my head how many hours we have, but I'll give you an idea of my timetable if that helps? Monday - 12-230. Tuesday 11-12, 3-5. Wednesday off. Thursday - 11-12, 1-5, Friday 9-12. That's including lectures, and you could skip some of those haha.

The workload is pretty intense, but not uncontrollable, and it's not like it's heaps difficult, there's just a fair bit of stuff to get through. People aren't snobby either.

Hope that helped a little.

mattbannister

HSC
oh... did you get to choose your own timetable?
not really. you could choose a few things but first year is pretty much set. second year you can start changing some subjects and moving things around more.

HSC
I was wondering if it is possible to accept an offer for Visual Communication and then transfer to a Bachelor of Visual Communication/Bachelor of Arts in International Studies?

MzBiiBii

HSC
who wants to get into or thinking about doing viscom in 09?
anyone who is doing it atm and would like to share some info on what its like?
thanks

me!

I want to do this course sooooo badd :(

xjessle

HSC
N/A
Is there much of an Illustration component in this course?

juni

juni
HSC
Is there much of an Illustration component in this course?
As a graduate of this course, you can take electives in illustration but you may be disappointed if you thought you'd be doing an 'illustration' course.
Quite frankly, it's better this way, I'm not sure how one could possibly go through 4 years of university simply studying only illustrations.

To keep in track with this topic, the cut-off for b design in visual communication had always been high... In fact higher pre 2004.
Even 10 years ago. SBHS Class of 1998 Notice a student with uai of 97.6 went into B Design at UTS.
It was even harder to get accepted during those time, as no such thing as 'bonus 5 points' for studying art was given out back then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)