B.Economics at USYD (1 Viewer)

cimbom

HSC
I got my 3rd preference of B.Eco last night... only because i missed B.Economic and Social Sciences by 0.15. Unless a miracle happens and i get accepted into either B.International Studies or B.Eco+Soc Sci with my UAI of only 91.40 ( :( ) in late/final rounds, i'll be doing B.Economics next year until i can transfer.

I was just wondering... until i edit this post with more comprehensive, specific questions- what is the general ability within this course to NOT focus upon quantitative econometrics- based subjects? According to the handbook... core units of study includ introductory microeconomics, introductory macroeconomics- from the economics area of study, and then econometrics units of business and economic statistics A and B. So- is it possible that i can do a major or an extended major in economics to avoid doing further study within the discipline of econometrics? How much flexibility do i get in selecting further units of study within the economics and business faculty as electives in first year... say, from gov+int relations or political economy? Could i major in the two aforementioned disciplines while still majoring in Economics?

...Or should i just put B.Arts, which still has vacancies, as my first preference in the late round so that i have more flexibility to transfer into B.International Studies in second year... or is it better to remain in the same faculty with B.Economics, even though i might get better marks in like history subjects within the arts faculty than in econometrics- enabling an easier transfer?

I know i should really be asking these questions to the USYD helpline or reading the handbook more closely... and using the search function more... but i know b.economics is a popular degree and there are heaps of people studying it here, that could provide me with their educated opinions on this course :) .

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you can do any units you want (pretty much) within b economics. A transfer to eco and soc sci with your uai will be very easy. Aim for a D average, but in reality a bit over a credit average should get you in.
So you could be doing only English and Philosophy units if you absolutely wanted to within B Economics. The core units are only required if you wish to graduate from your degree.
So, enrol yourself in ECOP1001 instead of ECON1001 :)

cimbom

HSC
so- i can replace the core unit of study econ1001 with ecop1001? same with econ1002... into ecop1002? And no more econometrics but ecmt1010 and ecmt1020... or could i replace them also? If anything... i'd want to replace ecmt with ecop, and maybe keep econ. And when i enrol... with different core units, they know it's because i don't intend to graduate with b.econ?

Like a D average for economic and social sciences... what about a transfer to b.international studies, after one year of b.econ, cutoff this year was 93.45? Like- i still might get b.economic and social sciences in the late/final round :)confused: )... because then that would enable me to transfer into b.international studies easier, as i could select the exact same core units of study, as there are none for b.eco+soc sci?? Thankyou sooo much for your help :) .

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
replace them all if you want. they dont care what units you do. you dont have to do any core units (you just won't be able to graduate from b eco, obviously)
Under D avg for international studies as well.

cimbom

HSC
So, it's like a risk... i can select different units of study, with the intention of transferring, but then if i can't- like, some more time doing econ1001, econ1002, ecmt1010, and ecmt1020 so i can graduate from b.eco?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it is a risk, but considering your uai its a good risk to take. ecop doesn't mark too harshly. Government, however, does mark pretty harsh. Getting b/w a credit and d avg shouldn't be a problem though.
Email this guy to find out reqs for this year: A.Keywan@records.usyd.edu.au
Tell him your degree, the degree you want and your uai. ask him what grades I would need to transfer (based on this years reqs)

hysteria

HSC
since there's already a thread created about b eco, might as well ask my questions here - sorry for intruding...

is there a limit of majors we can do? Because i want to do political economy and international and government relations, as well as the core economics major - is that too much. Also, when picking my units of study can i only pick the ones from 1000-1999 because i'm a first year?

any help is much appreciated :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it's not too much if you can do that all with all the core units.
hysteria, perhaps try for b economic and social sciences. it'd be perfect for what u want

cimbom

HSC
att: Stazi.
Would you have any other email contacts that i can ask about transferral? i emailed a.keywan asking about requirements with my UAI and degree... and he responded with how UAC assesses it on tertiary results/uai, what i already knew, rather than what happened this year with transferrals... like, no specific information?

hysteria- i also want to do the same majors, but i think it exceeds the limit for credit points if there are three majors; as the eco major is compulsory.

hysteria

HSC
damn, i shouldn't have changed my first pref to b eco at the last minute....so stupid of me.....and i'm also above the eco and social science cutoff....its times like these i want to turn back time

thanks for the info!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
cimbom: see him when semester begins at the student centre. he gave me all the info.
hysteria - you can get in during the 2nd round

cimbom

HSC
Yep. I need to ring the faculty as well... the helpline wasn't very helpful. Thanks again.

Hysteria- i'm hoping for b.economic and social sciences in late/final round... i was only 0.15 below the cutoff, it was my second preference after b.international studies. I hope we both get in :) .

hysteria

HSC
yeah i hope we get in too...good luck cimbon! Btw, i had a little peek at your prof and you did all the same subjects as me for the HSC...except for ext hist...

Stazi, you're quick with replies - thanks for all you help

adambra

HSC
Best of luck getting into B Economic and Social Sciences in the late round. At least then I'd know ONE other person doing it...

adambra

HSC
Diiiiiana-_- said:
I got an offer from B. International Studies @ Usyd~

Is there anyone else?
I just realised I got the cut-off for that course... I think I made the right choice :S

cimbom

HSC
With B.International Studies the core units of study are from Political Economy and Govt+Int Relations... if that's what you end up majoring in for Economic and Social Sciences, it will almost be the same thing. And then there's room to do majors from arts/education etc. so doing a language would fit in as well.

I'm doing 4 out of 6 of the B.Int.Stud. core units of study (except ecop1003... which is exclusive) in first year of b.economics. I'm sticking with the two econometrics subjects, a major in economics of course, and then choosing between political economy major or govt/int relations major if i don't get the transfer to b.international studies. So i'll be safe either way hopefully.

So, so far.
Semester ONE=
ECON1001
ECMT1010
ECOP1001
GOVT1105

Semester TWO=
ECON1002
ECMT1020
ECOP1002
GOVT1202

The B.Int.Stud. is probably one of the best degrees in the entire faculty... maybe university. Better than UNSW's and Macquarie's 'International Studies' programs... which are within arts. Meaning that they look at Political Science as an arts subject. I guess more people realised that this year, so the UAI cutoff went up 2.3 points, higher than commerce- in only its second year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)