B. Economics (1 Viewer)

Matthew_152

I am doing B. Economics, majoring in both economics and accounting. I know that Accounting allows u to gain proffessional recognition as a CA, but what employment opportunities does the economics part of the degree lead to?...Also, would combining law with an accounting major, instead of economics lead to a more diverse range of employment opportunities (even if i dont really have a view to becoming a Lawyer)? Thanx...

Matthew_152

Another question...I only did General maths in the HSC, but I really want to do well at uni...considering that i didnt go to any bridging courses, will i be able to cope in Business and Economics Statistics A and B (which r compulsary in b. eCO)?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
For your economics part, u have a huge variety of jobs on offer, eg working as an economist or analyst for financial companies, share brokers, banks, accounting firms, economic consultancy firms, trade unions, the government (ACCC, RBA, ABS etc)

About the maths...I thought the assumed knowledge for commerce/economics degrees at usyd was 2U maths

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by Matthew_152
Another question...I only did General maths in the HSC, but I really want to do well at uni...considering that i didnt go to any bridging courses, will i be able to cope in Business and Economics Statistics A and B (which r compulsary in b. eCO)?
Yeah I think you may need to do a bridging course in 2u Maths, I've had a look at some of my sister's 1st yr commerce work, and there's a bit of maths (2u stuff) involved in it. I don't think general maths will be sufficient for it though.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
other than the calculus and sequences/series, I don't remember anything from 2u maths which was not taught in or before yr 10

Matthew_152

How useful is the bridging course?...i dont see how u can gain a solid understanding of a year-long HSC course in a few days. Would it be better to borrow a HSC Mathematics text book and just try to gain a bit of an understanding of the topics?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I taught myself the 2u course using excel during the holidays between yr 10 and 11. It took about 3 weeks but I was doing *very little* each day

I've only lost 0.5 mark in all 2u exams I ever did (which spanned the entire yr 11) - totally convinced me that I was a maths person until harder 3u and 4u came along...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Suvat
other than the calculus and sequences/series, I don't remember anything from 2u maths which was not taught in or before yr 10
but 2u was ALL calculus! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)