B Eng/B Sci at UTS or UNSW (1 Viewer)

coolkid96

HSC
just wondering whether anybody has any recommendations for where to complete a B Eng/B Sci combined degree. I know UTS gives 1 year of paid internship, but that UNSW has excellent engineering and science facilities/reputation.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I know UTS gives 1 year of paid internship
Not quite. First of all, B Eng/B Sci it's just 12 weeks experience as with all other unis. You need the optional (only optional for international or combined students) Diploma in Engineering Practice for the year of internships to be part of your course. That may require a transfer after first sem, I know it wasn't offered through UAC with B Eng/B Bus for 2012 entry. It's a simple internal transfer and nothing to be worried about though, I don't think grades really matter for a transfer like that.

Secondly, there is no gaurantee you will get an internship or a paid one at that. You have to find your own internship, but there is an online listing of jobs and a compulsory subject teaching you basic resume skills and preparing you for work. This semester the uni is testing a new online site for job advertisements but the old one was pretty average and a few are unpaid. The students at the bottom of the cohort may be forced to take those unpaid jobs as your enrolment eventually gets restricted if it takes you too long to find an internship. I found my internship (paid) outside of that site, and am currently 6 weeks in.

I think it's been useful, learnt so much and wouldn't mind working part time/studying part time for the rest of my course. While I do believe that the internship program is a great idea, there is nothing stopping you from finding one yourself at any other uni. I believe UNSW has a generic "Diploma of Professional Practice" for any course that is suspciously similar to the engineering internship program at UTS (IT have a different program, and the business one will be different too).

D94

HSC
N/A
just wondering whether anybody has any recommendations for where to complete a B Eng/B Sci combined degree. I know UTS gives 1 year of paid internship, but that UNSW has excellent engineering and science facilities/reputation.
No they don't.

You've got to find it yourself, they don't 'give' you any paid internship. But that's just like at any Engineer's Australia accredited program where you've got to complete 60/80 days of approved industrial training.

Apart from doing it to fulfil the requirements of your engineering degree (and no doubt, valuable experience), you have to do 1 year (as opposed to 60 days) in order to receive that Diploma of Engineering Practice. Also, from what I've read, you must do the Diploma - you can't just opt out and doing the BE by itself (although, I'm not sure about combined).

Just remember you aren't given it on a silver platter.

Edit: just saw Brent's post

eng_K

HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW!!!!!! UTS is nowhere near the reputation of UNSW in engineering. I did eng/science from UNSW; and I know people from UTS and the jobs they are working in now (not so good); also UNSW engineers would earn higher, get the jobs easier, etc.

khoavo12

HSC
UNSW!!!!!! UTS is nowhere near the reputation of UNSW in engineering. I did eng/science from UNSW; and I know people from UTS and the jobs they are working in now (not so good); also UNSW engineers would earn higher, get the jobs easier, etc.
Are you sure about that? Im not saying that I don't believe it. I just want to know if it's reliable. I'm also tossing between UTS and UNSW. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)