B Health science (1 Viewer)

jellybabii91

HSC
Hi :)

is anyone doing the B Health Science degree in 09? also, anyone doing physio later on? :)

YES!! I'm hoping to get into the masters for speech path. Hmm was tossing between health science and the actual speech path degree but the uni advisers at info day said its a full on course..and I can end up with 2 degrees form just 1 extra yr of study. So im happy :haha:

vivtzav

HSC
hello, you know the introductory behavioural health sciences- sociology strand (the book we got at enrolment) what is it used for? Do you need it for our B Health science course?

brownie44

HSC
hello, you know the introductory behavioural health sciences- sociology strand (the book we got at enrolment) what is it used for? Do you need it for our B Health science course?
I started a BHS in 2008 and we didnt get that booklet. As far as Im aware, the content and structure of the course hasnt changed and there isnt a 'sociology strand' in the BHS (unless you choose to major in sociology, but thats done through the faculty of Arts). Though, it could be to do with the core unit of study HSBH1008 Health Determinants and Interventions taken in second semester which has a strong focus on sociology and health.

vivtzav

HSC
Ok thanks for that info :)

Is the course good? just a question for the unit u did of psychology 1001..was it done in summer?- because in the handbook is says you do it in semester 1 sum

Thanks

brownie44

HSC
Ok thanks for that info :)

Is the course good? just a question for the unit u did of psychology 1001..was it done in summer?- because in the handbook is says you do it in semester 1 sum

Thanks
Hey, I did psyc1001 in semester 1, all BHS students do. But its also available in summer school, hence the 'sum', but that session is really for people who are looking to get ahead in their degree or who failed a unit. As for the course, I think its good in terms of flexibility and structure with the second majors etc though some of the BHS units can be extremely boring in parts.

juggernaut

HSC
Whats this guarantee business?!? My brother just started exercise and sport science, with later intention of applying for masters of physiotherapy. (same route i took)

juggernaut

HSC
Ok i just read about it on Usyd website. Interesting. Im assuming thats going to make it ALOT more competitive for non-health science students to get into a masters of physiotherapy. Im actually confused as to why they applied the guarantee to physio. I always thought exercise and sport science was the better pre-degree to physiotherapy.

brownie44

HSC
Ok i just read about it on Usyd website. Interesting. Im assuming thats going to make it ALOT more competitive for non-health science students to get into a masters of physiotherapy. Im actually confused as to why they applied the guarantee to physio. I always thought exercise and sport science was the better pre-degree to physiotherapy.
I agree, exercise and sport science would probably be much better suited to physio. The guarantee in health science isnt just for physio though, its for all health science masters courses offered at USYD. I suppose they want to increase the enrolments in the health science course.

juggernaut

HSC
yep, thats what i meant - im surprised they included physiotherapy with the other health faculty degrees due to how competitive it is.

the bach of health science with a human movement major is really quite similar in units of study to the exercise and sport science degree. even with the guarantee though id probably still prefer to do ex sci over bhs.

does anyone know the intake number for the physio graduate entry masters program ?

opage

HSC
Yes :) I am doing a bach of health sciences @ USYD this yr with my 2nd major being a speech and hearing major and i'm hoping to go on to do a masters of speech and language pathology :) Who else is hoping to take that same path?My name is Olivia, i'm 17 and I went to Rosebank College by the way lol. Hope to meet some of you guys this year :)

vivtzav

HSC
i shall see you there Olivia :) im not doing the speech pathology masters..im going to be foing the physio. I will see you in O week :) Im Vivienne by the way lol

brownie44

HSC
does anyone know the intake number for the physio graduate entry masters program ?
Im not too sure, but some of the human movement students in the BHS claim theres only 10 or so CSP offers made and the rest are full fee. But I personally think there would have to be more places than that because its in such high demand.

konkzz

HSC
hey, do students who do health sciences all study at the Cumberland campus ?

brownie44

HSC
hey, do students who do health sciences all study at the Cumberland campus ?
The first year Bachelor of Health Science students all study at Camperdown campus. Then depending on what major you choose you can be either at Cumbo or Camperdown (human movement and hearing and speech are at Cumberland whereas majors such as management, medicinal chemistry etc are at Camperdown). But the senior core units are taught at Camperdown also. The rest of the health science courses (physio, speech path etc) are studied at Cumberland.

vivtzav

HSC
So will the 4 senior BHS senior units that you choose tought in the main campus?
Also lauren Im just wondering does my second major which will be the movement science major..do you know if it has
specific requirements i need to do in semester 1 & 2?

Thanks heaps for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)