[B]How much can your hand handle?[/B] (1 Viewer)

get_born

How much can your hand handle?

Ok now seriously...Say that you memorised an essay, when writing any essay in the HSC, using the standard HSC booklets, what is the maximum number of bookets or pages you can write on in the 40 minutes? How much pressure can one hand take, how fast can one write??

get_born

its unfortunate... i was looking for a possible number...but anyways life goes on.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
last_chance said:
its unfortunate... i was looking for a possible number...but anyways life goes on.
u should keep in mind that the board of studies paper probably fits half the amount of writing on a normal A4 exercise book page...

for a 40 minites essay
hmmm... well 1 booklet is 8 pages....

i'd say 3 writing booklets for a 40 minute essay..... MAXIMUM

with my writing i can fit a 12 page essay (on normal paper) into probably 18-24 pages on board of studies paper...

but being more reasonable i'd say 2 booklets for each 40 minute essay... (full of quality writing... )

with reagrds to how much ur hand can handle.. that's not the issue with me..

it's how much my pen can handle.. i usually would finish an entire pen for a 40 minute essay or at least half... so i definately need 2 pens for an english exam...

keeping in mind that i use an inky pen.. but regardless... that's still alot of ink....

what our fellow boser's have mentioned previously 'practice'...

It's just like sport... or running..

first u faint half way during the 100 m sprint...

2nd time u collapse at the end of the 100 m

3rd time u finish, except ur only huffing and puffing

and so on....

ur wrist, hand arm are able to become used to writing alot, really it's a simple concept... the more u practice the better/faster u become...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
ppfft then you must really suck at the 100m sprint! :D

well think for a sec in year 7 now. what would you have thought when a teacher told you to have 500 words in an assignment. also tell me how long they expected in a response. max was 1 page pr 3/4s of a page, wasnt it? :p

physician

HSC
wrong_turn said:
ppfft then you must really suck at the 100m sprint! :D
hahaha... lol ... yes i Do!..

but not to that extent lol..............

I think...............

get_born

Argonaut said:
Really depends on how well you write. It's got to be legible to start with because writing at a thousand words a minute isn't going to do you any good if no-one can read it.

And coding doesn't work for thread titles. When will you people learn?
Okay say you are a good writer, and dont use any coding, and everything you write is understandable and clear....i'm just asking on average how much should a HSC student write?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I got through 1 booklet, maybe going onto the first page of a second if I was lucky. I'd say for band 6 you need at least 1.5 booklets, maybe closer to 2.

get_born

withoutaface said:
I got through 1 booklet, maybe going onto the first page of a second if I was lucky. I'd say for band 6 you need at least 1.5 booklets, maybe closer to 2.
yeah thats possible...in my half yearlys i went through 2 booklets and a half.

tempco

HSC
almost all my essays were 1 booklet + 2 pages. you don't have to write a crazy-huge amount to get band 6, but in my opinion the "quality over quantity" rule only applies > 1 booklet. :uhhuh:

ishq

brown?
HSC
I usually fit about 9/10 words each line on a HSC booklet - my paper consumption is minimal. :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Agreed! I know people who scrawl their way through, managing three, sometimes two words on a line. Then, they insist on sitting either in front of me or next to me and raise their hands wildly each time the need a new sheet (which, as you can imagine, is quite often).
Clearly not environmentally friendly.

get_born

ishq said:
Agreed! I know people who scrawl their way through, managing three, sometimes two words on a line. Then, they insist on sitting either in front of me or next to me and raise their hands wildly each time the need a new sheet (which, as you can imagine, is quite often).
Clearly not environmentally friendly.
that's why i'd love to sit in front, you cant see anyone infront of you turning the page.

-Swifty-

B.Sc B.A usyd
HSC
ermmm im not sure yet actually i have written on a BOS booklet for a while, but i gotta improve it some how to get more =/

get_born

-Swifty- said:
ermmm im not sure yet actually i have written on a BOS booklet for a while, but i gotta improve it some how to get more =/
i A4 page is roughly around two pages o bored of studies paper for me. Just when you practise essay writing time yourself how fast you can write it. It helps in the long run...firstly you memorise your work and it becomes easier when it comes to the hsc because its in long term memory after writing it so many times, and secondly you get used to writing more in a shorter amount of time.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
ishq said:
I usually fit about 9/10 words each line on a HSC booklet - my paper consumption is minimal. :)
lol, mine was more like 5-6 words...

naturally, i used 2-3 booklets for each question.

physician

HSC
last_chance said:
How much can your hand handle?

Ok now seriously...Say that you memorised an essay, when writing any essay in the HSC, using the standard HSC booklets, what is the maximum number of bookets or pages you can write on in the 40 minutes? How much pressure can one hand take, how fast can one write??

Don't worry too much about the number of pages u can write....

oh and by the way... i think i might stick to NOT MEMORISING an essay theory.... after seeing the creative writing questions... i think it would be really difficult (for me).. to twist my wording around if i were asked a question such as the one below...

here's a terrific example of quality over quantity..

http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/advanced/2002_English_Advanced_HSC_Exemplar_Q7_BOS.pdf

as u can see the writing is huge... averaging 5 words per line....
And It's only 11 pages long...

i enjoyed reading it.. and i think it desrerves the BAND 6 that it recieved...

by the way this is from the resources section... incase u hadn't allready noticed

enjoy!

get_born

physician said:
Don't worry too much about the number of pages u can write....

oh and by the way... i think i might stick to NOT MEMORISING an essay theory.... after seeing the creative writing questions... i think it would be really difficult (for me).. to twist my wording around if i were asked a question such as the one below...

here's a terrific example of quality over quantity..

http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/english/advanced/2002_English_Advanced_HSC_Exemplar_Q7_BOS.pdf

as u can see the writing is huge... averaging 5 words per line....
And It's only 11 pages long...

i enjoyed reading it.. and i think it desrerves the BAND 6 that it recieved...

by the way this is from the resources section... incase u hadn't allready noticed

enjoy!

that was really good, but you have to think not all your writing is going to be creative, other subjects are very factual...so memorisation is needed. anyway its a habit for me, my english teacher killed it and kinda pressured me. For a while i wasnt bothered for the wholememorising thing and decided not to bother, and funny as it is i still got a good mark...first place beat me by one mark only...however i do believe first place deserved full marks

physician

HSC
last_chance said:
that was really good, but you have to think not all your writing is going to be creative, other subjects are very factual...so memorisation is needed. anyway its a habit for me, my english teacher killed it and kinda pressured me. For a while i wasnt bothered for the wholememorising thing and decided not to bother, and funny as it is i still got a good mark...first place beat me by one mark only...however i do believe first place deserved full marks
Yes ur right... not all our writing will be creative... who knows i may memorise an essay for my HSC.. u neva know... but for now... no way... i just stick to memorising quotes and critics.... thats basically what my teacher really cares about....

mu observation is aslo slighlty influneced by what i had read from the hsc mnarking center comments for the english extension 1 examination...

they said that they preffered the on the spot essays rather than the memorised ones.. and were able to distinguish between both.... they like a fresh essay... although of course they won't really pin point everyone... and neither will they minus marks if it's a good essay... however i think practicing to write an essay during an exam on the spot....(of course with probably a prepared intro... and learnt quotes and study) would be a good technique to prepare u for the HSC....

but then agaon so is memorising.... as long as u go into the exam and twist the wording around according to the question rather than just write what u've memorised which in most occasions will not answer the question fully...

oh and heres another BAND 6 response... that i aslo found interesting.. and is only 14 pages long (i.e. 1and 3/4 booklets)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/cours...2_English_Advanced_HSC_Exemplar_Q1_S1_BOS.pdf

by the way i'm posting these with my main intenetion being: to indicate that u don't need to worry about the number of pages u write during the 40 minute period for one response... as long as u have quality and a little quantity all will be good...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)