B Hrm ne1? (1 Viewer)

Gemstar

HSC
is ne1 here doing B HRM (Human Resource Management) at MacQ uni?

I know it's a new course but i wanna know if it's good or not..
I checked the study program and it seems 2 me that it's got heapsa stuff on
Psychology so that sounds interesting but not sure if i'll b good at these subjects

Appreciate it if sum1 noes nething abt it ..thanks :)

mserica

HSC
I Love it, but I am bias!!! I must say as much as I like the degree - working in the field is so much better - all in all its worth it!!

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I'm doing a degree (BBA+BA-Psych) which shares quite a few of the HR-related subjects with the BHRM people. all in all they seem to enjoy it, but as MsErica says, seem to be excited to get out into (or back to) the real world. Seems like a good 3 year degree, all up.

Entry to BRHM used to have an interview component; Memory tells me they've changed that, but someone else could confirm this.

As far as 'degrees' go, it seems fairly specific, and I assume it's recognised (though, a quick search on the AHRI accreditation lists doesn't turn up MQ's BHRM). That said, maybe accreditation isn't that important in the HR area... I'm not the one to talk to re that (...but Erica might be?). I imagine you'd get similar education to what I'm getting (as I've chosen the HR modules in my course), but in 3 years instead of 4.

Regarding Coursework; Peter... ugh. What's his name? Murray! designed the degree, and also runs many of the units. He's a little... wafty and content-less for my likings, but everyone has their own style. BHRM students also have to do psych units, as you noted; from the HRM students I've talked to (which is definetly not all of them, so don't take this as a generalisation) they seem find them hard, at least in part because you're "competing", if you will, with psych students who understand the concepts and whole psych-academic 'world' that much better because they've done more study in the area (This isn't to say YOU'LL have difficulties, of course. There're a lot of sources of help, too, including us oldies here at BoS... so stick around :D).

...hope some of that was actually useful! :)

mserica

HSC
Skittled your right, entry to BRHM used to have an interview component, however its no longer there.. you now need a UAI (I think its around 80 - 85)

When I started the degree, they werent on the AHRI accreditation lists either and well obviously still not on there, however I can confirm they are accreditted as I am a member of the institute and my experience and degree are recognised through them, (Pete Murray says it should be finalised by the end of the year) but well... we shall wait and see.

Again Skittled is right on the mark about HRM students and psychology, its an interesting subject but omg almost as bad as having to learn statistics... my brain is just not hardwired that way!!!

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i never had an issue with psychology, i even took a psych unit as an elective last semester and did pretty good in it, however when they ask you to write a psych report in a 3rd yr unit with ppl doing a psych major, well than it gets hard. org psych i thought would be a great unit, but is not, its like any other business unit but with the occasional study to support some theory. very disappointing

all in all the course is pretty good, ive enjoyed most of my units, minus a couple due to shit lecturers. if you're looking for a HR degree i dont think other uni's offer anything better, its especially good if you dont want to do eco, finance or accounting (like other uni's and MQ's BBA degree make you do)

a part from that MQ has a pretty decent rep as a uni, so thats why i came here. the cut-off was 80 last yr (i think) and there is no interview. the interview was scrapped after the first yr and the uai dropped nearly 10 points, but thats happened to nearly all of the degrees

hope this helps you make the right decision

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
fornstar said:
i never had an issue with psychology, i even took a psych unit as an elective last semester and did pretty good in it, however when they ask you to write a psych report in a 3rd yr unit with ppl doing a psych major, well than it gets hard. org psych i thought would be a great unit, but is not, its like any other business unit but with the occasional study to support some theory. very disappointing
I agree! Crappy, boring unit (but might provide a good base for further study, I'm hoping). I emailed Ben (lecturer) about this, that there seems to be a compromise happening (would detail more, but don't want to steal the thread too much), which makes it very boring. He's hoping to fix that, but gave reasons it'd be difficult... just so future students know.

Re APA formatting of psych reports, I was thinking of opening up an APA-atizing service, for all your psychology report-writing needs... contact me if you're in need :D

Gemstar

HSC
Haha thanks you guys..

yeah im in my first semester now.. pritty good..exams coming upp ...eek.

I do agree that psy ppl may have an advantage in 3rd yr courses but hopefully if i befriend psy people (which i sort of haav) ill hav no prob yeh? haha.

also,, im still thinking what electives i should take..wat did u guys do?

i choose BBA103 (regggreeeettt) and im thinking maybe ANTH150? but should i keep 200/300 electives in business field so its easier... maybe Human Resource Law or something (only business law is prerequisite)..

oh and YES, any APA referencing help is greatly apreciated..it annoys me so much.

talk sooon,

ps. SORRY FOR THE ONE YR OLD REPLY :-(

*hopeful*

HSC
BBA103 as an elective :eek:
are you not able to change it ?

HR law is BUSL333 and its an okay subject, not as bludgy as it originally seems but okay

i wish they had this degree when i first started :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)