B Med Sci v B Sci (Adv) (1 Viewer)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Hey everyone,

i want to do graduate medicine at usyd. i thought id do medical science but am now thinking id like to do adv sci cause there are more options for majoring. id like to major in medicinal chemistry atm but yeah. what dou you all think/ is it worth doing med sci? i havent done hsc physics either so which is the best option for me in terms of majors and also in terms of preparing for the gamsat?

thanx in advance :gridnod:

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
lukebennett said:
Hey everyone,

i want to do graduate medicine at usyd. i thought id do medical science but am now thinking id like to do adv sci cause there are more options for majoring. id like to major in medicinal chemistry atm but yeah. what dou you all think/ is it worth doing med sci? i havent done hsc physics either so which is the best option for me in terms of majors and also in terms of preparing for the gamsat?

thanx in advance :gridnod:

oooooooooooooooooooooo , so is that why u were sooooooooooooo into med sci all that time ago :p

if ur not into med sci as a backup plan, then its not worth doin it.

there are lots of people who THINK they can do well in the GAMSAT, but dont!!

Do something that has a thing called : "a career :p " attached to it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was into med sci (and still am): but only because of the research! - not coz of GAMSAT. If ur like survivor (a bos member) who likes med research, then do med sci and be a researcher (usually with further years of study), otherwise choose another course that has its own direction for u to take (an enjoyable one) in the event u dont get into med.

thats all i can say (probably havent answered all ur queries- but ....what can u do! :)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
with adv sci you got lots of room to change your career plans and such, as you can still study similar majors that med sci students study
med sci is somewhat a structured course, you have to certain 2nd year med sci subjects so that means if you odn't like it you're stuck with it.
As for relevance to gamsat study, you only need first year chem/bio/phys to help you.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
mr EaZy said:
oooooooooooooooooooooo , so is that why u were sooooooooooooo into med sci all that time ago :p

if ur not into med sci as a backup plan, then its not worth doin it.

there are lots of people who THINK they can do well in the GAMSAT, but dont!!

Do something that has a thing called : "a career :p " attached to it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was into med sci (and still am): but only because of the research! - not coz of GAMSAT. If ur like survivor (a bos member) who likes med research, then do med sci and be a researcher (usually with further years of study), otherwise choose another course that has its own direction for u to take (an enjoyable one) in the event u dont get into med.

thats all i can say (probably havent answered all ur queries- but ....what can u do! :)
but the thing is you can do medical research if you do adv sci and thats why im confused now. units in advanced sci are quite similar to ones in med sci. and i know i need to have a fall back and both are researchy degrees so you havent really helped me there

the only real reason i was into med sci was cause i wanted to get not med or possibilities of research but it seems that both adv sci and med sci do. i was never sooooooooo into it. i just want to do it. i would have rathered undergrad med but stuffed umat. but all im not sure about is if you can do adv sci and have it basically the same as med sci. in adv sci you can major in medicinal chemistry and not in med sci. this sounds really interesting. but in med sci you can only do pharmacology which doesnt sound quite as good. im just not sure about 2nd year options.

research has always been my fall back cause it was the only other thing i was interested in other than being a physician.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
can any other people giveme some advice too.

btw thanks Bob.J that was helpful and actually answer most of my queries.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
if u wanted to do undergraduate med then isnt medical science the next best thing.......alot of ppl tell me med sci is a waste of time coz there r no jobs out there but screw them.....ive applied for med sci in three unis.....coz i find its interesting......talk to ppl who have done both courses and see wat they think....also arent u going to the open days on the 5th..........screw usyd and unsw........they both have their open days on the same day....oh well......at the open days u can ask all the questions u want...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
shit i only just noticed that about the open days. yeah true. the only types of jobs from med sci are research and thats my second career preference anyways. id just like to know more about the subjects you can do cause adv sci has some medical stuf too and often more of them such as medicinal chemistry which id find quite stimulating. but yeah might cya at the open day. id probably go to usyd though

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ALRIGHT, umm ask urself wat u wanna do.

so u wanna apply for grad entry med right?
alright, do something enjoyable - i take it ur a science student :), thats good.
but people talk about med sci because they are confident of getting into grad entry med. If ur not consider something else that is more flexible.

the main thing is that the subjects that u study are useful when doing the GAMSAT. This test will test ur chemistry skills i think. And ur biology skills. Im assuming that GAMSAT is the exact equivalent of the AMERICAN MCAT. So u need to know the skills taught in ur science classes :).

lots of grad entry places may be made available in the next few years :), but i dont care - im not prepared to spend so many years studying post hsc. but i said that u should do something interesting coz if, and i stress , if u aint no good in the GAMSAT, then u may have another option. I think any uni student will tell u the same thing i just did, coz im having this problem of deciding my career choice to this date.
look just good luck with watever it is u wanna do ok ? :) cheers mate!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
the only types of jobs from med sci are research and thats my second career preference anyways.
I mean most science degrees lead to a career in research. Think biotechnology, marine science, environmental science, nanotechnology.

lukebennett said:
id just like to know more about the subjects you can do cause adv sci has some medical stuf too and often more of them such as medicinal chemistry which id find quite stimulating. but yeah might cya at the open day. id probably go to usyd though
I believe you can do most or all of the units in med sci by doing Adv science, but too sure though because I'm not at USyd. But in UNSW, you can (except 2 subjects). My advice is either degree would be great, but remember Advanced Science is 4 years, and medical science is 3 because the additional year is optional depends on whether you want your Honours or not. So think about that. (would you like to wait one extra year before trying to get into med, which is what you really wants to do?)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i just checked on usyd's website and adv sci at usyd is only three years. i guess adv sci is the go then cause i have more options there and can still be prepared for gamsat.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
lukebennett said:
i just checked on usyd's website and adv sci at usyd is only three years. i guess adv sci is the go then cause i have more options there and can still be prepared for gamsat.
Lukebennett .... I'm in the same situation u are but rather I wanna do graduate dentistry....I don't really wanna influence u much but a friend of mine finished med sci and this year started graduate medicine....she said that med sci is great for medicine and it helped her alot through gamsat......both degrees are very good for graduate entry .....

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
thanks roxy,
its a hard decision to make aye. its just there are more research options in adv sci and it may be a better fall back too. i dunno really but open day will help me out a bit. i may not even get into adv sci cause it depends on how much the cut off goes up........it may not though

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
To tell you the truth lukebennett, I don't think choosing one over the other will make much difference because your goal is to get into medicine, so ultimately you want a degree that will help out a lot in the non-clinical aspect of the works in medicine, such as microbiology, or biochemistry, which you will have to do again in medicine, which you would have did it in second/third year of your science degree. Say you picked Adv. science, you are going to follow the medical science plan anyway because it maximise your skill in medicine, both in GAMSAT and in the actual medical course once you get in, so really, it doesn't make a difference. You say that "it maybe better as a fall back" when in fact, your units in advanced science would be identical/similar to med science, how will that make a better "fall back" than medical science? however, if you decide you're going to choose something that is not in the study area of medical science, then I shall ask, is your heart truly into medicine that you are going to choose some non-medical subjects to study? I hope you know what I meant. But ultimately, I believe that you are going to do graduate med, you should pick medical science related subjects, in adv. science.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Survivor39 said:
To tell you the truth lukebennett, I don't think choosing one over the other will make much difference because your goal is to get into medicine, so ultimately you want a degree that will help out a lot in the non-clinical aspect of the works in medicine, such as microbiology, or biochemistry, which you will have to do again in medicine, which you would have did it in second/third year of your science degree. Say you picked Adv. science, you are going to follow the medical science plan anyway because it maximise your skill in medicine, both in GAMSAT and in the actual medical course once you get in, so really, it doesn't make a difference. You say that "it maybe better as a fall back" when in fact, your units in advanced science would be identical/similar to med science, how will that make a better "fall back" than medical science? however, if you decide you're going to choose something that is not in the study area of medical science, then I shall ask, is your heart truly into medicine that you are going to choose some non-medical subjects to study? I hope you know what I meant. But ultimately, I believe that you are going to do graduate med, you should pick medical science related subjects, in adv. science.
hey thanks for the advice.

so med sci has just as much potential for medical research?

i whole heartedly want to do medicine its just i want to make sure i have fall backs incase i dont make it in. i will definately do the majority of my units in medical areas. i just want more options for majoring (basically cause i really fancy doing medicinal chemistry and med sci does not offer this as a major). i definately want to do med cause this area is what i know id find stimulating but research would be my next preference if idont get into med. im pretty determined to get into grad med and i know id be more suited to uni than school cause im quite a self starter and independant in my work. more so than many people i know who did really well in the hsc. so fingers crossed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)