B MedSci or BSci, also post grad??Q's?? (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
And what do you mean by the "financial side" of doing Honours?
ummm mabbe just go..

CSP.. so u pay.. ure normal fees.. there is no financial incentive for the student..

for the materials in ure research..
your supervisor is suppose to organise that.. ure the labour and the report author and ur honours degree.. oh and the enjoyment of furthering scientific pursuit.. :burn: thats ure reward...

but if ure good tho.. in ure yr1-3: then u may be able to score bonus scholarship monies..

my tip..
take summer scholarships (based on uni marks) from any/ur uni.. and get work experience and $$ (about $200/week for 6-8 weeks).. thats prolly a good time for financial.. and if ure good enough too.. supervisors let u continue with ure project for honours..or network u one day for a post-grad degree.. and will be able to gauge how u feel about research without doing a full yr of it..

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yep. Summer scholarships are the best option to try and experience what research is really like. I did two and liked both. You also learn about how a lab works. :)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Summer scholarships/research, hmm.
Can you take this between each year, for example from year 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, or is it stricty appointed to one year(summer). So is that right about 200 per week, 6-8 weeks, work experience. What hours(like number of)?
As I already have a job(Mcslave,lol). would I be able to work that around this research degree as I would only be doign around 16 hours at maccas, while at uni and also maybe while doing this summer research...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Yep. Summer scholarships are the best option to try and experience what research is really like. I did two and liked both. You also learn about how a lab works. :)
yeah i took on yr2/3 and yr3/4 (now).. its really good
see survivor :p im not a complete med-spewing freak.. lolz

DraconisV said:
Summer scholarships/research, hmm.
Can you take this between each year, for example from year 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, or is it stricty appointed to one year(summer). So is that right about 200 per week, 6-8 weeks, work experience. What hours(like number of)?
As I already have a job(Mcslave,lol). would I be able to work that around this research degree as I would only be doign around 16 hours at maccas, while at uni and also maybe while doing this summer research...
DraconisV: basically.. even do it for free cos the exp is priceless.. but usually they arent that mean :)

i do lik 11-6 weekdays cos now i know the gist of things.. and i type heaps at home instead ..

inasero (Bos med section mod) is doing one at the same time as me.. we didnt realise we were in the same research centre too, i got posted to a diff locations in sydney tho.. till i was chatting to him.. lolz

i did lab work in yr2/3.. and clinical reviews in yr 3/4... i admit.. i think i learn so much from them compared to the lectures given at uni.. and i have basically enough experience now for me ... from this I have wont be doing the honours yr till later in my course or skip it completely.. its a risky personal choice.. but an informed decision none the less...

oh yeah i have another job too while im doing this.. i work weekends and nights (coles in NSW) ..
for macca d's u could prolly work nights or research every 2nd day.. the supervisors i have a pretty relaxed too.. Like it keeps u busy doing worthwhile things :)

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks for that Dexter.

This summer thing sounds pretty good. I will have to see how I go throughout the year whether to do it or not. Do you have to apply?(by a certain date?).

Will doing the summer research work help in achieving work(as in employment) after university.

Also I have been wondering about the different(or maybe same) pays of honours student compared to basic 3 year degree people. I know that you can get into employment easier with the honours(survivor established that with me earlier), but what about the pay, would you get slightly more by doing the honours becuase they value you more and know that they have competition with other workplaces because of the honours???.
Hmm? Theres some thoughts for you guys.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
DraconisV said:
Thanks for that Dexter.

This summer thing sounds pretty good. I will have to see how I go throughout the year whether to do it or not. Do you have to apply?(by a certain date?).

Will doing the summer research work help in achieving work(as in employment) after university.
yes they are usually October/November.. keep an eye out in August =)

well it prolly wont.. but you should put it down as experience that u have in research... it will help if u need to do more academic work..

id answer ure other questions but i have very lil exp in honours vs non-honours

gd luck tho :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hons students probably get more pay than non-Hons students because you are more experienced, hence more pay. :)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks for all the help guys, your slaughtering everything I throw at you.

hmm... Also about the hours you do each week.
um, what hours per week in each semester and each year(including honours) do you actually have to be in a classroom so to speak. And also how much do you reckon it would take of home study to achieve a D avg?

Thanks again..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Generally you are at uni attending lectures, tut and lab for about 24 hrs a week. So at home, you should do the equivalent amount of time of studying, excluding time spent on doing assignments (probably will get you a HD average).

For Honours, it is entirely self-directed learning plus lab work. Time spent at the lab is variable. You can start as early as you want (6 am) and finish as late as you want (9 pm).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
cos i dun do science.. i cant talk about time..

but i have calculated i do about 4-5 hrs of reading to learn things..its heaps good if u can make it interesting.. and like be a complete nerd about it.. then ull enjoy it and learn it.. actually took me a while to enjoy things lik microbiology..

yeah living far from the uni atm.. i find im reluctant to do the leg work.. maybe move closer to the uni? it will make u more likely to go in..

atm my to-do list for today is:
learn to do statistics again.. =(
learn to use software package..
make draft presentation.. and dun have a stroke..

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
With the summer research, say i got into B Sci instead of BMedSci, but was applying for medsci and was pretty confidant of the transfer being successful, um, how would that research work, considering ive done the normal degree for that year and am moving into medsci for the next year??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There is no association between transferring and applying for a scholarship.

Usually summer research projects/scholarships are available for second and third year students only.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
ah ok. hmm, so are there any requirements that you have to have fulfilled before you get the scholarship, excluding the actual applicaiton.
E.g.marks,interview,etc(?)?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mine was interview with supervisor
cos i dun get marks :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Marks, and interview or a letter of recommendation.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I thought it would be something like that. thats alright then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)