B Science/B Law (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
(now i think UOW should employ me full time to advertise their institution to the wider public!)

1000words

HSC
worlds greatest said:
im doing sci law
its shit
im all advanced and ssp and allt hat too
if u shoudl do it
dont waste ur time
its not necessary unless ur going to be a scientists
job opportunities: suing doctors
sueing docs
etc
other thigns liek that
That's a pity. I'm a little suspicious of your writing skills although it may explain a few things.

I am a recent graduate of the science/laws degrees. I have just counted 12 of my friends I know who were science/law graduates along side me and 100% have obtained graduate employment in the law. I know ten times as many lawyers who have a science background.

I agree that law is not necessary for those who wish to pursue a career in science. However, I do not understand your basis for thinking that the only opportunity for a graduate of a science/law degree is in medical negligence. In fact, I personally do not know of anyone in the medical negligence practice area who has graduated from science. At most, they graduated from law and medicine.

Intellectual property law, information technology law, health law and biotechnology are just a few areas which attract science/law graduates. Spend time going through the staff profiles of law firms and see for yourself.

A career in the law is not the only avenue for graduates of science and law. Those with science degrees in biomedical, chemistry, physics, biology or engeering disciplines (to name a few) do pursue a career as a patent attorney. Those with law degrees generally get paid more throughout their career (including their stages as technical assistants) as they have a stronger understanding of the legal process (particularly important with patent infringement).

There are also many science/law graduates in the corporate/commercial areas who leave the sciences but use the skills that they have obtained from their science degree throughout their career. This applies to lawyers who graduate from commerce, arts, engineering, medicine and so on.

I would recommend students listen and be inspired by people who have a positive outlook and encourage other people to broaden one's horizons and search for opportunities that suit one's interests. Whether you throw away the years spent on a science degree or use it to distinguish yourself from others is up to the individual.

Best of luck!

David

1000words

HSC
Skywalker said:
I think she was being sarcastic in her post...
Were you responding to me in particular? I didn't think there were sarcastic undertones in her post, especially when you look at her previous postings in other threads. If it was sarcasm, I definitely did not pick up on it. In any case, I hope my post clarifies a few things for the benefit of others.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
A volley of enquiry on Science/Law Combined

Right, about combining Science and Law, what if you want to combine Science Advanced with Law, is it possible? Because UAC guide says you can, and when I sent a query to USYD Law Department to clarify this, they said you can't so I am not sure which one is true. Does anyone have definite info?
Then, assuming that you can, what are you supposed to enter on your preference application, the code for the normal science/law or something else?
Final thought...All the Combined Law degrees have the same UAC code, so how do you distinguish say Art/Law from Comm/Law of Science/Law?
I know I am being a bit greedy, trying to know everything in one go, but I warned you a volly of question was coming.

1000words

HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
Right, about combining Science and Law, what if you want to combine Science Advanced with Law, is it possible? Because UAC guide says you can, and when I sent a query to USYD Law Department to clarify this, they said you can't so I am not sure which one is true. Does anyone have definite info?
Then, assuming that you can, what are you supposed to enter on your preference application, the code for the normal science/law or something else?
Final thought...All the Combined Law degrees have the same UAC code, so how do you distinguish say Art/Law from Comm/Law of Science/Law?
I know I am being a bit greedy, trying to know everything in one go, but I warned you a volly of question was coming.
There was no warning! :)

I imagine that you will definitely have to enter a specific code - it is strange to me that there is not a specific code for Arts/Law, Comm/Law or Science/Law etc. If the UAC guide says this is possible (despite the apparent lack of a code) whilst USYD says its not, then it may be a law school policy that varies between schools.

Are the choice of subjects different compared to Science (Advanced) and the normal Science?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)