B Science/Commerce Double degree. Opinions and career options :) (1 Viewer)

lily2013

HSC
Hello
I am considering entering this program in semester 2. I am currently enrolled in single Commerce at UNSW, and the reason I am going to apply through UAC to USYD is because I am not allowed to transfer until I have completed 36 pts and I dont want to wait that long, whereas USYD they will just look at my ATAR I am assuming since exam results won't be out yet (only in my first semester). Plus I regret not going USYD, it looks awesome :)
I want to get a commerce degree but also keep my options open for things like postgraduate medicine or dentistry. I also want to set myself apart from the many other commerce graduates.
If anuyone does this degree, tell me more about it:) The study load, the courses, work/life balance.
I know its 5 years instead of the UNSW 4 years, but it seems from the handbook you get an extra major in commerce so looks good!
Also tell me your majors and goals.
THANKYOU

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Ohh Amleops answered this in another thread. :p

What science majors are you planning? Some majors are more beneficial for medicine but then again you'd want to do a major you are interested in and will get you the WAM. :D All the best ~

lily2013

HSC
Ohh Amleops answered this in another thread. :p

What science majors are you planning? Some majors are more beneficial for medicine but then again you'd want to do a major you are interested in and will get you the WAM. :D All the best ~
I am thinking Nutrition and metabolism with anatamoy or biology for science
and Accounting andMarketing for commerce :)

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I am thinking Nutrition and metabolism with anatamoy or biology for science
and Accounting andMarketing for commerce :)
Awesome choice! First year med is basically third year anatomy, histo, physiology, neuroscience etc.

I did marketing and accounting a long time ago ~ hahaha. I enjoyed marketing actually... just make sure you have a group that can collaborate effectivelty in first year marketing. :D

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Where did all of these Commerce/Science threads come from all of a sudden? I guess that in itself shows how great the degree is haha.

Anyway, yeah as passionxmusic has said, I've had a few discussions about Commerce/Science recently here, here and here, they may not apply to you directly but have a read regardless, a lot of the information there is relevant to your questions.

I'll address your questions on work/life balance and personal ambitions though because I don't think I've done them already.

I personally don't work that much (7 hours all up per week across 3 afternoons at a tutoring place), but I would definitely have enough room to do more work if I so desired, and I also have enough free time to spend with friends and do some extra-curricular activities as well. Again, it will depend on what units you do, but generally the ones that have more contact hours (the sciences) would require less personal study at home (there are also of course factors to consider such as difficulty but that varies from person to person). All in all you shouldn't have too much trouble balancing uni and work and life, plan your time well and you should be fine.

As for what I want to do after my degree, I definitely want to do postgraduate study, and after that I haven't really thought quite too far ahead. I have considered careers in finance, business, and scientific/medical research, and I'm also toying with the idea of being a perpetual student. Perhaps a mixture of the two. But really, Commerce/Science does open a lot of doors career wise, so if you aren't too sure of what you want to do don't worry; you have a wide range of subjects to choose from which will help you to find your niche, and you'll be in a better position to decide on your career at the end of your degree. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)