B science with another degree? (1 Viewer)

integral95

HSC
So I'm planning to study Bachelor of science (maths major, still deciding whether UNSW or Usyd, could you suggest which one is better)

But I'm told that there are limited job opportunities with that degree itself, so therefore I should combine with something.
Now I'm not really a fan of business so I'm kinda ruling out commerce.

What could/should I combine maths with to get a decent job?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
first of all bsc or bsc adv? and usyd is the way to go for bsc. imo

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So I'm planning to study Bachelor of science (maths major, still deciding whether UNSW or Usyd, could you suggest which one is better)

But I'm told that there are limited job opportunities with that degree itself, so therefore I should combine with something.

It really depends on what you major in.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what majors in bsc have greatest job prospects?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is purely speculation on my part but I like the look of the following fields:

Maths
Stats
Geology
Computer Sci
Ag Sci
Env Sci

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
wouldnt math and stats majors be relatively similar?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Bsc at usyd is 83, was is 82 last yr?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
im interested in computer science and physics what careers are available?

integral95

HSC
Lol I said I'm majoring in maths lol

I got an atar of 84 so I could do only Bsc and not Bsc adv (it's the same apparently as long as you choose the advanced units, could anyone explain that)

studybuddy101

HSC
Lol I said I'm majoring in maths lol

I got an atar of 84 so I could do only Bsc and not Bsc adv (it's the same apparently as long as you choose the advanced units, could anyone explain that)
There are prerequisites for advanced units. For example physics 1 vs physics 1A at usyd requires a 96+ atar and/or a band 6 in physics. You'd have to check the subject prerequisites you're imtersted in to make sure you can enroll in them under a regular science degree

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Commerce would be your best bet to get a decent job but otherwise, I would say Engineering.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
wouldnt math and stats majors be relatively similar?
Not at all, at a university level they're completely different.
This is purely speculation on my part but I like the look of the following fields:

Maths
Stats
Geology
Computer Sci
Ag Sci
Env Sci
If you wanted to do computer science you wouldn't do a BSc - there's a seperate degree for it. I think at usyd that's also true for ag sci, but I may be wrong.

To answer OP, you're really not limited with a BSc, especially if you do maths. You could go into practically any field.

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

Maths
Stats
Geology
Computer Sci
Ag Sci
Env Sci
chemists are also somewhat in demand although 70% of jobs aren't fabulously high paying for them
~but still better than nothing~

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not at all, at a university level they're completely different.

If you wanted to do computer science you wouldn't do a BSc - there's a seperate degree for it. I think at usyd that's also true for ag sci, but I may be wrong.

To answer OP, you're really not limited with a BSc, especially if you do maths. You could go into practically any field.
Correct on all counts.

integral95

HSC
Wow thanks for the information guys

There are prerequisites for advanced units. For example physics 1 vs physics 1A at usyd requires a 96+ atar and/or a band 6 in physics. You'd have to check the subject prerequisites you're imtersted in to make sure you can enroll in them under a regular science degree
Yeah I got 97 in 3U maths and 94 in 4U maths so I should be fine, (got dragged down by other subjects)

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
most of the Bsc ppl i've seen on BOS go usyd, but you'r asian so you are welcomed at UNSW with open arms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)