B Social Science (1 Viewer)

gl

HSC
Hi emmie,

I'm in my final year of the BSocSc this year, so if anyone has any q's feel free to ask..

James

^emmie^

HSC
what are good topics to do
im thinking of doing socioloigy, environmental studies, and development studies
are these good choices what did u do

gl

HSC
Do you mean for your major or your electives?

Electives don't matter so much, you can pick ones you enjoy, but for the major and degree in general you (unfortunately) need to pick an area that you are not only interested in but can make a career out of. For instance, development studies are very interesting but you'll probably have a much harder time finding work in the field. I've majored in human resource management not just because I enjoyed it but because i thought it'd be more useful for the job market..

It's not my place to judge other people's degree choices of course but quite a few people seem to choose majors and subjects that will leave them with a relatively useless BSocSc....

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to work as after graduating?

Mr-X

HSC
gl would you be able to tell me if I enrolled correctly?
I've chosen the main one (social science and policy), economics (microeconomics 1), developmental studies (intro to developmental studies) and political economy (intro to political economy).

I plan to transfer to a different degree after the first year so I've chosen what I think I will go well in.

^emmie^

HSC
gl said:
Do you mean for your major or your electives?

Electives don't matter so much, you can pick ones you enjoy, but for the major and degree in general you (unfortunately) need to pick an area that you are not only interested in but can make a career out of. For instance, development studies are very interesting but you'll probably have a much harder time finding work in the field. I've majored in human resource management not just because I enjoyed it but because i thought it'd be more useful for the job market..

It's not my place to judge other people's degree choices of course but quite a few people seem to choose majors and subjects that will leave them with a relatively useless BSocSc....

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to work as after graduating?
yer i dont really know whats best to chose for what i wanna do cause i think it preety much to do with the core subject social science and policy. cause i think i wanna either do something to do with research like the census or just researching stuff about the community or what ever or be a policy writter for a government department
i was thinking of majoring in sociology but i dunno what thongs would be good to do and what would be a good major for this career type

also o u have to do the same subjects each semester or can u start new ones??

gl

HSC
Mr-X,

Those are good choices.. you're fine as long as you have the slsp 1000 in there. Also if you end up not transferring to a new degree you've got room to decide on your major later on etc. Good luck with your grades, out of interest what do you want to change to?

Emmie,

You have a small window to change courses once the session's started, but its not a good idea because you'd already be that far behind whatever subject you change to, so you have to research subjects as much as possible (e.g. from the handbook descriptions)...

If you're interested in govt. I'd suggest trying some POLS or PECO subjects.. Stuff like the census is exactly the sort of stuff you do in research and info mgmt so you're in luck...I'd recommend taking a similar spread of subjects to Mr-X so you can sample different majors before you pick, they'll count towards your electives anyway.. just make sure you pay close attention to the degree rules so you don't do anything that won't count later on, it can get tricky..

^emmie^

HSC
yer im probly know thinking of doing
social science and policy
sociology and anthropology
politics and international relations
and either australian studies or environmental studies

i would prob rather do aust studies but the two first year core couses i cant do as AUST1001 runs in semester 1 but only has a tutorial of 10 ppl so its full and AUST1003 paradise lost is run in semester 2 is there anyway of still doin this course???

gl

HSC
AUST1001 is odd, it doesn't even have lectures listed. Your best bet is to ring the school office and speak to the contact person or lecturer running the course, they have authority to over-enrol their classes by a couple of people i've seen it done before.. just tell them you need it coz you're thinking of majoring in australian studies..

^emmie^

HSC
lol i dont wanna major in it but i do wanna do it what about if i talk to them on the advisory day would that be ok
yer its weird cause u have to do it yet they only allow 10 ppl do that mean all of the subjects only allow 10 ppl

Mr-X

HSC
gl said:
out of interest what do you want to change to?
Thanks for the reply gl. I plan to transfer into planning in the faculty of built environment.

Since SLSP1000 is only one 2 hour lecture a week, does that mean they'll mark attendence and give us things like assignments in that lecture?

gl

HSC
Emmie,

When it comes to getting what you want at uni nice guys finish last! Say whatever you have to get what you want. I learnt that the hard way with tutorial times etc. 10ppl is not normal, it's usually only limited by the number of tutors they can find because the more people they can enrol the more $$$ they get...

Mr. X,

I didn't do 1000 because it wasn't a requirement when i started, but i believe 1 hour of the course is on the web now, and the 2 hours lecture is the on-campus component.. which is good because there's not that much to discuss without going over the same things over and over all semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)