BA/BSc, how do i do this shit? (1 Viewer)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
So Im starting a BA/BSc at usyd this year. I got back from overseas 2 days before uni started.

Because I was overseas, I had no access to any of the course handbooks, any of the enrollment guides, I couldnt talk to any course/subject advisors, so my mum ended up rolling me into all my 1st and 2nd semester subjects almost at random (I told her vaguely what I wanted to do over the phone). On top of all that, my degree has a pretty complicated structure as it is.

I know that I generally want to do an Environmental science major for the BSc, and a Linguistics/Communications major for the BA, but I have no fucking clue how I am supposed to be structuring my degree to get there. Do I have to chose certain Junior subjects this semester? Do i have to not take certain other subjects?

Also, when the hell do I start taking Intermediate subects? because it cant be next year, because I still wont have taken 48 Junior Science CPs or 48 Junior Arts CPs by the end of this year.

As it stands i'm enrolled into:

1st Semester:
MATH1001(3cp) - BSc
MATH1002(3cp) - BSc
PHYS1001(6cp) - BSc

LNGS1001(6cp) - BA
GRMN1111(6cp) - BA

2nd Semester:
MATH1003(3cp) - BSc
MATH10042(3cp) - BSc
PHYS10032(6cp) - BSc

LNGS1002(6cp) - BA
GRMN1122(6cp) - BA

I feel like I'm blindly wandering into this degree.

ddtng

HSC
I know that I generally want to do an Environmental science major for the BSc, and a Linguistics/Communications major for the BA, but I have no fucking clue how I am supposed to be structuring my degree to get there. Do I have to chose certain Junior subjects this semester? Do i have to not take certain other subjects?
For env. sci you're going to be needing GEOS units, and maybe some BIOL or CHEM. I don't know much about linguistics.

Your units at the moment are fine if you want to major in Physics and Linguistics/German. I don't know how the combined degree is structured but ideally you'd want to do the junior maths, whatever junior stuff you need for linguistics, and then a chem/bio (whichever suits you better) backed with geosciences for you to move into environmental science in later years.

The sample degree structure in the science handbook has you taking 18cp of science and 6cp of arts units per semester for the first year, so in your case this would be 6cp maths, 6cp linguistics, 12cp geos/biol/chem. The envi units don't start until later. There would be the flexibility in the degree to do a 12/12 science/arts load instead and I suppose you'd fix up the balance later in the degree.

Also, when the hell do I start taking Intermediate subects? because it cant be next year, because I still wont have taken 48 Junior Science CPs or 48 Junior Arts CPs by the end of this year.
Uh, there's no minimum number of junior credit points that you have to do before you take intermediate units. You can take them whenever you fulfil the prerequisites for them (which will most likely be next year). In fact, 48 cp of junior science combined with 48 cp of junior arts sounds incredibly excessive.

As a guess you'd want to be doing:

6 cp MATH
6 cp GEOS1001
6 cp LNGS1001
6 cp BIOL/CHEM

per semester, unless you want to do a bit more arts and then catch up in the science later in which you'd swap one of the MATH/GEOS/BIOL/CHEM for an arts sub.

Last edited:

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I transferred into the BSc/BA this year.

Yeah as for intermediate subjects you don't need 48cp of junior subjects... just certain prerequisites I only did chemistry and maths last year and I'm doing second year chemistry and physiology this year (though I needed to get special permission to do physiology because I didn't quite fulfil the prerequisites for that).

And yes, you HAVE to do maths. kdhkjshdea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)