Bachelor of Accounting - Difficulty? (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
OK, my most likely place to go for uni after completing diploma in accounting is UWS to do a commerce or accounting course. i like to know the difficulty and insight from people who are doing this course. is it achievable to complete with credit average for most people? what are the drop out rates? the parramatta campus standards e.g. library services / operating hours?

i dont necessarily want to go to big 4 firm, i be fairly happy to work for a medium size firm and earn about $80k, after 3 or 4 years experience upon completing the bachelor degree, is this possible for graduates graduating from uws? what are the chance of being employed after graduating? most likely i would be looking to gain work experience.

what grades would i know from tafe to transfer into uws, it seems these 2 have credit transfer agreements, so would a pass be sufficient enough? i am ideally striving for credit average or perhaps distinction

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
workerdude85 said:
OK, my most likely place to go for uni after completing diploma in accounting is UWS to do a commerce or accounting course. i like to know the difficulty and insight from people who are doing this course. is it achievable to complete with credit average for most people? what are the drop out rates? the parramatta campus standards e.g. library services / operating hours?
There is no Bachelor of Accounting course. There is the Bachelor of Business(Accounting), and for the B Business & Commerce I believe you can major in accounting (However, someone should be able to confirm that).
At the moment I'm doing one possible course (microeconomics) that you'd end up doing. Content wise, it is not too difficult but it is not exactly easy. If you put in a reasonable amount of study you could easily do well. The handbook for the accounting course can be found here.

i dont necessarily want to go to big 4 firm, i be fairly happy to work for a medium size firm and earn about $80k, after 3 or 4 years experience upon completing the bachelor degree, is this possible for graduates graduating from uws? what are the chance of being employed after graduating? most likely i would be looking to gain work experience.
I know a few people who have gone quite far with a business degree from UWS. As long as you do well and aren't a social retard (among other non-favorable workplace traits) you shouldn't have a problem finding employment. As for the aim of getting into a medium-large sized firm it is possible. A UWS graduate who visits this site boasts that from UWS he has made his way into one of the largest firms.

I just found his account name Malazn Pleasure so talking to him may be beneficial.

what grades would i know from tafe to transfer into uws, it seems these 2 have credit transfer agreements, so would a pass be sufficient enough? i am ideally striving for credit average or perhaps distinction
I have no clue about this. Possibly contact enrolments@ UWS. It may depend on the intake this year and who else you are in competition with for the places.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, about Parramatta campus.
It's not the biggest and most eventful university campus but it is certainly bareable (as long as you have a few friends there of course.) The library is small but I have found it sufficient. The main draw back on the library is the comptuers as during lunchtimes on mon-thursday they are pretty much all in use. However, the computer labs are a more than sufficient alternative.) Study spaces wouldn't be a problem. The library opening hours on uni days are generally 8:30am-9pm (till 6 on fri) and 9:30-4:30 on weekends

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
hey ari,
what would you consider good effort e.g. how many hours for fast/slow learner, what do you consider good results in uws? i know once you graduate they would look at your results if you dont have work experience, but once you get experience they dont necessarily look at academic transcript isnt this right?

and what do you consider good personality traits and poor personality traits in a workplace?

HSC
N/A
When do you plan on going to uni? If it is 2008 then the current degrees will not be accessible to you and you will have to do the new B Business and Commerce.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
When do you plan on going to uni? If it is 2008 then the current degrees will not be accessible to you and you will have to do the new B Business and Commerce.
I didnt know they're revamping all the courses for business as im assuming so that means this year will be the last year for the old courses...

I do accounting and all I can say is it aint bad as long as you put in enough hours..im at the Nirimba campus which is a bitch to get to without a car...our library is shared with TAFE since we're in a precint.....as for job prospects..its good that you have ambitions much more level with the average joe...we got told in high school that we shouldnt just disregard uws..im glad i didnt coz if i did i wuld hav been at tafe this yr due to my horrible uai (65.8).....the only thing that does annoy me is the inclusion of a statistics unit..i mean when do we use statistics in accounting..accounting in itself is just numbers backed up by evidence..the stats they teach you concerns hypothesis testing and so on which to me is of no use if ur just an average joe accountant

Jiga

B Business (Accounting) is EASY... the first two years are basic, the third is where it gets abit harder with more Level 3 units.

As for why you have to do statistics for business.... because you need it for corporate financial managment.... which you need for other units like Financial Planning. Why we have to do all these units I dont know (I can only guess becuase accountatns for eg can be involved in financial planning so its useful to have an idea how it works), but CFM and FP aernt to bad as they can help you in life with caclulatiions like future values of an account you might have, superannuation decisions which is really useful for when your employed, retirement etc stuff.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
Accounting can be hard, depend on whether you are pursuing CPA qualification or not. If you choose to meet the CPA Standard then there will be less electives you can choose. And those requirements specified by CPA are hardcore ones IMO

Jiga

^

Its not THAT hard, Im in my final semester now, I just got my results back for this semester and I got all C's putting in minimal effort.... and they were all level 3 units. As for CPA/CA, it would be STUPID to do the degree without the electives you have to for these qualitifications (which themselves aernt heaps hard, the law ones aernt great but not hard), your degree without them would be only useful as toilet paper as you need accrediation in the accounting profession especially given that you put $20k or so into your degree.

Blue View

HSC
workerdude85 said:
Hey all, I'm doing the accounting degree at UWS and when I first enrolled into the uni I was a little worried about my job prospects when considering that I would be up against graduates from Sydney Uni and UNSW. That was before I spoke to a family friend of our's who is an accountant. She studied accounting at UWS and had no trouble getting her first job on a reasonable $45K salary. She told me that after you have been working in the industry for 2-3 years the whole "what uni did you go to" idea gets lost in the past. She is currently now a Chartered Accountant (although I know that the CA course is hard!!) and she earns easily in excess of $130K a year. She works as a tax accountant for a small-medium firm and has only been working there for 3 years.

Btw, many of the introductory level subjects are quite straightforward and if you apply yourself to the work and attend all of the lectures and tutorials you shouldn't have much trouble achieving the credit average for the CA program!

Anyway, best of luck to all the business students out there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)