Bachelor of Accounting (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
What on earth is the purpose of this thread?
Aren't you chummy with the thread starter? en ess bee ftmfw?

mr_shittles said:
Here's something from the UTS forum to show why UTS is better than UNSW Co-op . .

Here are some simple facts . . .

1. UNSW Accounting Co-op program typically recruits more academically talented students than the UTS program. It is no secret that UNSW has a UAI cutoff of 96, well ahead of the 85 at which UTS sets its cutoff. The reason UNSW has such a relatively high cut off is to preserve the academic integrity of the UNSW Accounting Co-op degree.

2. Sponsor companies value UNSW Co-op program higher, paying UNSW Co-ops $60,000 compared to the $39,000 they are prepared to commit to the UTS BAcc program. Even when you take into account the work requirements of the two programs, UNSW Co-op pays $833 p.w. and UTS pays $795 p.w.

3. UTS BAcc Co-op prgram boasts of an average graduate starting salary of close to $50,000 (http://www.business.uts.edu.au/bofacc/benefits/prospect.html). UNSW Co-op grads don't wake up out of bed for that sort of money.

In the current year of graduates, the average graduate starting salary is around $80,000. I know that UTS BAcc uses the argument that they get to work an extra year compared to UNSW Co-ops. I'm sure even after allowing for an extra year of UTS income, its would still not match what UNSW Co-ops will earn.

4. UNSW's reputation in Commerce/ Business is second to none in the Asia Pacific region and the University consistently outranks its peers in Australia. For example, in 2006 UNSW's School of Accounting was ranked the leading School for Accounting research in the Asia Pacific region (http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_News_Archives_UNSWRankedFirst)

The thing about UNSW is that Co-op or no Co-op, you are still enjoying the priveledge of attending one of the most prestigious universities in the region. A top-tier university by any measure. This typically compares favourabily to somone who gets their degree from a glorified TAFE . . . and yes that polytechnic is nothing more than a glorified TAFE!

5. UNSW Co-ops gain an extra six months experience on their program, giving them a broader skill set and a better knowlegde of how businesses operate in a variety of industries. UNSW Co-op students rotate in various industries (financial services, FMCG, etc.) as well as in various types of organisations (chartered firms, government agencies, etc). This is why UNSW are so much more employable than other degree programs.

6. UNSW Co-op prgrams have a 100% enmployment rate, however that goes without saying. Even Commerce students at UNSW who complete a Commerce degree without the Co-op prgram have an employment rate of around 95%.

UTS BAcc emphasises its employment rate, given the fact that UTS Business graduates would otherwise not be so sought after.

Since some of you in BAcc will be on Industry Training right now, take the time out to ask them how easy it is to recruit BAccs compared to UNSW Co-ops. Supply and demand. One program is just in so much more demand than the other.

7. And to quote that senior manager at a big 4 chartered firm describing a unsw coop intern student "these co-ops are very smart, but they are as boring as bat sh1t" . . . I don't know what to say. I have never heard that one before, its a new one in the BAcc bag of tricks and I thought it was said in reference to a UTS BAcc . . . could somone confirm?

8. UNSW being an Asian dominated place. Yes it is. I don't deny that. UNSW recruits its students based on their academic merits, and if that means that there are plenty of Asians (and selective school Asians) then so be it. I have found the students at UNSW to be very intelligent and very fiendly in my three and a bit years there.

Over the holidays, I interned at an investment bank. In their entire investment banking team, there were only two "ethnic" people. But the place was great, the people were very intelligent and very friendly and I got on well with everybody.

So clearly its not whether you've got too many Asians, non-Asians, blacks whites, etc. that determines the quality of an institution or an organisation. That's not a very intelligent view of the world . . . but if that is something that affects your decision making, then by all means UTS welcomes you with open arms.

At least that's one thing they can claim to genuinely "beat" UNSW on!
I think i'm in love :eek: Those arguments are actually quite solid and serious (lolz internetz, that would have taken an age to type up)

$80 000 starting salary are you sure? (there's no sugar) What if one does a straight bcomm at new south but has extensive work experience at 3 major firms in different internal positions?

Oh and I'm not getting out of bed for 50k, i earn close to that now if i did full time with my present jobs :eek:

By the gay:

signmoan said:
And to quote a senior manager at a big 4 chartered firm describing a unsw coop intern student

"these co-ops are very smart, but they are as boring as bat sh1t"
UTS Bacc interview was boring as. If you want to succeed just yap on about how you <3 accounting. And accountants. And how they are victimised, prone to over-the-top stereotypes, deserve praise for their hard work in firms etc etc

I told them i want to be a writer and work as a professor in english literature, but first i needed to build a base where i could support my family and publish works for minimal royalties so my critical theories become established, and accounting would be a good medium for that. It was not win.

Guyz accounting is moar than just loving the job and living the lifestyle (which i have to say most cadetships and bacc emphasises). It's about knowing your priorities in life and readjusting it so that you can become an inspired bacc/coop/cadetship scholar who can self-reflexively acknowledge the cut throat environment of business and seek balanced outcomes. The coop interviews were geared towards this.

Final thing realise that not everyone will be certain that they want to do accounting for the rest of their lives, halfway through year 12.

finis.

but ok Bacc is a good program, :wave: simon, guzel, jenny and others i know

is a roflcopter
HSC
wow i didnt know there was comm liberal studies at unsw

i was going to do that at usyd then i sold out :/

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Bobness said:
$80 000 starting salary are you sure? (there's no sugar)
For final year Accounting Co-ops, yes that number is correct. Absolutely no sugar coating on that one at all.

Bobness said:
but ok Bacc is a good program, :wave: simon, guzel, jenny and others i know
It is a good program, and certainly better than a Bachelor of Business degree at UTS. I do not deny that it is a good program. But it is not the best program on the market, as is it is claimed on their website and by many current scholars.

Ultimately, employers know what the best programs on the market are, and there are few employers that would rate any program superior to the UNSW Accounting Co-op program.

is a roflcopter
HSC
ceteris paribus
a UNSW graduate will beat out a UTS graduate for a job in commerce

ishq

brown?
HSC
Hey

Good thread - and totally agree with Mr Shittles' points. I guess the only thing I want to add is that - no matter what course you're in - BAcc or UNSWAcc, its totally YOU and YOUR EFFORT that matters. If you're a good student/worker and motivated enough, BAcc is an excellent platform. However, if you're just in it for the ride and the money, UNSWAcc isn't really going to get you the big bucks either.

Also, in Yr 12, we're all starry eyed and just a list of such big names can make you drool all over. However, its after industry training and a couple of years in uni that you realise the real deal. I guess my advice to whoever is applying is - THINK carefully about what you want to do in life and whether this is the way you want to go.

So many people in our course have realised that this isn't what they had in mind - and thats cost them a lot of time and energy that could have been otherwise well spent.

And all the stabs about the 'polytechnic university' are totally uncalled for. Guys, dont diss the program. There is a huge number of companies who believe in its value enough to sponsor it. It also gets a large variety of sponsors (from finance, accounting, marketing backgrounds) rather than just core accounting ones like in UNSWAcc (because the finance/marketing etc go on to the other coops) - giving the students a chance to rotate and see what they're comfortable in.

Im a BAcc and my first internship was with an Investment Bank, something I had definately NOT thought to tred across in my accounting career (which I thought would start and end at a chartered firm). For my next one, I'm going to want to experience something totally different again.

So, my 2 cents - do your research, apply for both and see which one you're more suited to :)

PS - Vagabond, I SO CLEARLY remember you being an excited applicant for BAcc this time last year. Just because you chose a different path does NOT mean that you have the right to try and ridicule the program.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Sif play that card.

Just pointing out facts - if you look carefully you'll see I haven't said anything bad of the program.

If you pay even closer attention, you'll see that I've reacted similarly to other people advertising things (Citigroup) ...

Last edited:

ishq

brown?
HSC
I'm not playing any cards. Its just a huge step for you from "the ultimate decision of my life". As for advertising - she's doing it for the benefit of those who want to apply. if you're not interested, skip it. There are a lot of people out there - with a lot less knowledge and experience than a 3month old cadet - who are perhaps interested in what the course has to offer.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Newbie said:
ceteris paribus
a UNSW graduate will beat out a UTS graduate for a job in commerce
No.

It depends on the graduate.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Ishq,

I promise you that if anyone starts a thread advertising cadethips I'll give them a slam too.

Not because of the program, but because of the context. There's a difference between asking peoples opinions on employment prospects and advertising information that any decent careers advisor would gladly relay to an interested student.

Imagine if there was a thread for every single cadetship/scholarship/mic. program.

imo thats not really the point of this forum...

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol HR told my friend that

"We dont hire front office positions from UTS"

i think that settles the argument

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
You bothered to come into the Commerce/Business forums just for that?

Anyone who wants to study engineering can do so.. quite easily...

Last edited:

ishq

brown?
HSC
Newbie said:
lol HR told my friend that

"We dont hire front office positions from UTS"

i think that settles the argument
Thanks Newbie. Very enlightening.

over9k

HSC
How much UAI is required for Accounting @ UTS/USYD/UNSW/etc?

squiRtle2006

HSC
I'm applying for this thingy.. but i'm so confused.. actually i'm confused about all the application things.. arrghh someone help me!!.. ok.. firstly.. like .. can ANYONE tell me how to apply for the cadetships.. and then.. like any advice on how to secure a BAcc scholarship.. apart from doing well in the HSC?!?!?..

Muchly appreciated if anyone can help!:)
THank you
Jodie XoXo

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
^ HSC matters very little. Most places are offered before. For cadetships try to attain the Fly Higher CA booklet from your careers advisor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)