Bachelor of Advanced Science Enrolment HELP!! (1 Viewer)

centrifuge

HSC
Hi guys!

I will be starting at USyd this year doing a bachelor of advanced science.
I plan to major in chemistry/medicinal chemistry.

Was wondering what math subjects would be recommended and what other subjects would be good to take.
Also was tossing up between Concepts in Biology and Human Biology for first year as well.
Any advice from seniors about which math courses/other subjects that would be useful would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!!

engineering

HSC
N/A
You are obliged to do some maths as part of a science degree (read the degree rules to see exactly how much).

By far the most relevant maths for any (non mathematical) scientist is statistics. No science is exact, so being able to understand and interpret the significance and spread of a range of scientific data form say a set of experiments is essential.

Silly Sausage

HSC
You have to do 1 years worth of maths (12cp). Since you're doing chemistry which is rather mathematical, you should opt for the normal units (MATH1001, MATH1002, MATH1003, MATH1005).

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Hi guys!

I will be starting at USyd this year doing a bachelor of advanced science.
I plan to major in chemistry/medicinal chemistry.

Was wondering what math subjects would be recommended and what other subjects would be good to take.
Also was tossing up between Concepts in Biology and Human Biology for first year as well.
Any advice from seniors about which math courses/other subjects that would be useful would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!!
For science you need 12 CP of math units, so your kind of limited in your choosing. You have to do diff calc/linear algebra in 1st semester and 2 of math1004/math1003/math1005 (or advanced versions) in the second semester. If your doing fundamentals, you have to do all 4 math units they offer.

You'll obviously need to do Chemistry in both semesters for first year and I think you can take both BIOL1001 and BIOL1003 (or adv/ssp) if you wanted to. You'll want to do MBLG in 2nd semester for medicinal chem.

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/science/units_of_study/first_year_table_guide.shtml (tells you what you need for each majors/table of units)

Last edited:

centrifuge

HSC
would you guys recommend doing both BIOL1001, BIOL1003 & MBLG? because i was wondering whether to drop physics entirely or to stick with more bio related courses. I haven't done bio for a long while but since I'm doing post graduate dentistry after my science degree i was wondering if having not done enough bio would be disadvantageous.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
would you guys recommend doing both BIOL1001, BIOL1003 & MBLG? because i was wondering whether to drop physics entirely or to stick with more bio related courses. I haven't done bio for a long while but since I'm doing post graduate dentistry after my science degree i was wondering if having not done enough bio would be disadvantageous.
It's up to you really, I don't think you'd be disadvantaged all that much from not taking a first year unit unless you needed it as a pre-req for 2nd sem/2nd year onwards.

Cricketbear

HSC
I suggest you do both biol1003 and biol1001. I'm applying for usyd dent as well next year and I've only done biol1903. They may change the biology prerequisites any year so it's safer to do both. Plus if you wanna do anat2009 you'll need two biol units anyway. As for mblg1001 I strongly suggest you not to do it unless it is a prerequisite for a second year unit you wanna do.

Coming from my personal mistakes in first year.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)