Bachelor of advanced science vs bachelor of science at UNSW (1 Viewer)

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
I am able to get in either bachelor of engineering/science or bachelor of engineering/adv.sci. Is there any reason I should choose adv.sci over normal sci the only difference I see is the honours year.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I am able to get in either bachelor of engineering/science or bachelor of engineering/adv.sci. Is there any reason I should choose adv.sci over normal sci the only difference I see is the honours year.
It depends what is the purpose of the science degree for you? Is the engineering the main degree you hope to pursue a career in?

If the engineering is the area you want to get a job in then honours for science degree isn't necessary and you should do the honours in the engineering instead. However, if you plan to do a career related to science or you want broaden your job opportunities do the advanced science because the honours year is quite important.

Particularly for entry into any masters or phd degrees where you are assessed not off the year 1-3 of the science degree but rather your class (mark) in the honours year

Honours is where you actually learn lab skills properly since you use proper equipment used in an industry and research setting vs the simple 2-3 hour experiments in the earlier years where it is basically like following a recipe where you have a method

quickoats

HSC
No real difference, except that in advsci, you have to do a special subject (scif1131) and have to do your subjects at the advanced level where possible.

Not 100% sure how the 2 honours years works, since both advsci and engo have embedded honours.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also if you're unsure just keep the adv Sci for now. It's easier to drop down to the Sci degree vs going up into the adv Sci degree

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
It depends what is the purpose of the science degree for you? Is the engineering the main degree you hope to pursue a career in?

If the engineering is the area you want to get a job in then honours for science degree isn't necessary and you should do the honours in the engineering instead. However, if you plan to do a career related to science or you want broaden your job opportunities do the advanced science because the honours year is quite important.

Particularly for entry into any masters or phd degrees where you are assessed not off the year 1-3 of the science degree but rather your class (mark) in the honours year

Honours is where you actually learn lab skills properly since you use proper equipment used in an industry and research setting vs the simple 2-3 hour experiments in the earlier years where it is basically like following a recipe where you have a method
I will be doing quantum engineering and physics and I wish to do research in applied physics later on. I talked with a researcher who did a phd in theoretical physics who had a undergraduate in electrical engineering/physics double major and he told me that because he completed a double major he was able to do his honours in a field where electrical engineering and physics research overlapped. So I thought I would be shaving off a year from my degree If I did something like this ? Also can't I just add on a honours year after I graduate if I want ?

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I will be doing quantum engineering and physics and I wish to do research in applied physics later on. I talked with a researcher who did a phd in theoretical physics who had a undergraduate in electrical engineering/physics double major and he told me that because he completed a double major he was able to do his honours in a field where electrical engineering and physics research overlapped. So I thought I would be shaving off a year from my degree If I did something like this ? Also can't I just add on a honours year after I graduate if I want ?
It might be possible to do that but I can't say specifically. You should talk directly to the faculty head / contact if that is a possibility. No you can't graduate and then do the honours, it's in built into the degree. If you want do something like an honours after that degree is complete that would be a masters but for this in UNSW you need to have done honours to be eligible for the government scholarship because otherwise its way too expensive to fund yourself might be like 50k a year

I would keep the adv Sci for now and then later on as you get more familiar with things it's easier to make an application to the faculties for you to do something like that to save a year for the honours.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
https://www.unsw.edu.au/study/undergraduate/bachelor-of-science-honours?studentType=Domestic this honours I found isn't in built and in admission requirements it says that students who have completed a bachelor of science with a greater than %65 wam can apply for this. I am confused
So yes you can apply for this and it's not in built, but it's not like as you said before with you graduate and then you do it later. You would have to apply for that sometime towards the end of the 3rd year of the science portion of your degree. So you apply while you are a student still rather than completed the 3 years science degree and then applying after that.

That's because in the honours application you need to meet with at least 3 supervisors, talk to them and get their permission for agreeing to supervise you during the honours year. Then you submit an application with your order of preferences sometime around term 3 of that 3rd year and you will get an outcome towards the end of term 3 which supervisor you have got an offer with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)