• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Commerce at Uni Melbourne (1 Viewer)

lobstaa

HSC
Hi everyone,

Im accepted at University of Melbourne for their Bachelor of Commerce programme, I am an international student from Europe. Can you guys give me a little bit of an insight, its very hard for me to judge how good the programme is. Its not like the US, where you have all the famous business schools, rankings etc.

I never hear much about teh business schools in Australia, are they in general not as good? There is McGill in Canada and Ivey, then of course LSE, Warwick etc in UK and diverse top notch schools in the US but I cant judge Oz. I only know the worldwide academic rankigns which show University of Melbourne as a topnotch excellent university that competes with big name universities form US. But this is not particularly for business.

So can you give me a little insight about the reputation of the commerce bachelor degree at Melbourne? I often only read about Uni Sydney and UNSW, Macquarie and Monash here, but never about Melbourne. Although worldwide Melbourne is recognized the most by far.

"[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on your place in the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne, consistently ranked among the top 40 universities in the world, and the only Australian university ranked in the top 10 internationally by major global and national employers."
... "
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]You will be taught by academic staff who are recognised world-wide for their international research and findings that inform managers across the globe. Our Commerce graduates enjoy higher starting salaries and secure jobs in a shorter time after graduation than the national average."

I would love to get your opinion. I also very much like the new melbourne model, but I dont know what you guys think about it and if it will have a very negative effect on the quality of my degree.

Thank and hello again! :)
[/FONT]

chocolates

HSC
The reason why u mostly hear about Sydney uni, UNSW etc is because this site is based/focussed on NSW, sydney uni etc rather than uni in victoria. Melbourne uni is a prestigous uni and their commerce degree is very well known in australia.

lobstaa

HSC
But this is the General forum, not the NSW forum. or is the whole forum in general jsut focused on NSW? if it is, what is the best online community for studies in australia in general? that is also used by domestic students who know better about those unis than internationals?

And what about the other points I made, comparison to US business schools etc?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
What I liked about the B.Comm degree in Uni of Melbourne is that it is so flexable - aslong as you are interested in doing something for breadth.

I ran the UBS Investment Banking competition at UWA this year, most students are from University of Melbourne and their SIFE team is probably the best.

It is a good university - chances are UNSW would be a better place to do a post graduate course.

lobstaa

HSC
Yeah, I like breadth and I dont want to specialize in something like Econometrics from beginning on, I am not a math guy anyways.

Is it hard to get into BComm at Melbourne? Is it like only top students that get admitted? The UAI seems to be the GPA in Australia right?

Do any grads get into investmentbankign afer the BComm degree? Cause you said their teams at the UBS investment banking competitions do so well.

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I like breadth and I dont want to specialize in something like Econometrics from beginning on, I am not a math guy anyways.

Is it hard to get into BComm at Melbourne? Is it like only top students that get admitted? The UAI seems to be the GPA in Australia right?

Do any grads get into investmentbankign afer the BComm degree? Cause you said their teams at the UBS investment banking competitions do so well.

The cut-of 'enter' (vic equivilant of UAI) score for melb's Bcom was (for local students) 95.2 (max score is 99.95), so its fairly hard to get into.

lobstaa

HSC
would you prefer UNSW over Melbourne for Commerce Bachelor? Since I also got accepted there.

And how much math is required at UNSW and Melbourne if I take a softer Comemmercetrack, like majoring in business and taking management, marketing and finance? Is it manageable even for someone who is barely okay in math?

edit: and where is uni life cooler? which uni is more diverse and interesting? I guess its melbourne? I heard UNSW is Asia town? I dont have problems with asians, but if I have 95% asians in my course instead of 50 and a nice mix of other people, then I think I would prefer that. But does that just apply to Commerce or also to the whole uni?

edit2: and why the hell are the starting salaries after graduation so increcibly low? 45k AUD? that is nothing. In Europe u make twice as much and the living costs are the same in Germany compared to Oz.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
would you prefer UNSW over Melbourne for Commerce Bachelor? Since I also got accepted there.

And how much math is required at UNSW and Melbourne if I take a softer Comemmercetrack, like majoring in business and taking management, marketing and finance? Is it manageable even for someone who is barely okay in math?

edit: and where is uni life cooler? which uni is more diverse and interesting? I guess its melbourne? I heard UNSW is Asia town? I dont have problems with asians, but if I have 95% asians in my course instead of 50 and a nice mix of other people, then I think I would prefer that. But does that just apply to Commerce or also to the whole uni?

edit2: and why the hell are the starting salaries after graduation so increcibly low? 45k AUD? that is nothing. In Europe u make twice as much and the living costs are the same in Germany compared to Oz.
There are a fair few 'asians' in the UoM B.Com, not 95%, but there's definately a higher proportion represented than in the uni populus as a whole. If you are local student the math requirment is an SS of 25 in methods (or equivelant), the maths is not very hard in itself, but people with a natural mathimatical intuition usually do well in finance/quant/eco subjects (people without it tend to struggle).
I think your critique on the 'starting salaries' is rather ill-concieved, its not like after you get ur degree you just stick out ur hand and state ''jobz 4 me nowz'' and get somekind of garunteed 45k, the outcomes depend on the subjects you take and the marks you get in them. This warped idea that the european universitys garuantee better "salaryzz" is again pretty retarded.

lobstaa

HSC
thank you for your reply.

I am sorry, I didn't mean that I expect to just get a job because I am a graduate. My question surrounded why the graduates on average make much less than the graduates in Germany tha have studied business. The european universities dont guarantee better salaries, but statistically the average graduate makes 40k EURO. Thats is 69k AUD. And like I said, the same living costs in Germany. And the graduates in Germany don't all go into investmentbanking... So just a question, because it surprised me.

Another question, how are the marks given with your degree when you graduate? Do you graduate with a GPA or with a 1st and all those honours like in UK? I wanna know how hard it is to get into good Master programmes out of Australia afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)