Bachelor of commerce at UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

afc123

HSC
I've decided I'm doing a bachelor of commerce but I can't decide which uni to choose. I have the marks needed to attend either uni and I have been to both open days including the ones today. There are a number of pros and cons as to why I can't decide.

USYD

Pros
- better campus
- better atmosphere and more mixed group of people
- wider range of facilities and activities
- more convenient location

Cons
- Not as reputable as UNSW and less industry links
- teachers seems laid back and old school in their methods

UNSW

Pros
- better business school
- more flexible timetable
- better teachers and industry links

Cons
- depressing atmosphere
- social life lacking
- further travelling distance
- less facilities that are appealing

These are based on my own 2 visits to each campus within the last 6 months. I am thinking of moving to dentistry after my commerce degree through GAMSAT. In that case ill have to go USYD anyway. I'm still leaning towards UNSW purely because of the better business school. I do also have a AAA scholarship with UNSW but I'm not taking that into consideration as I already have the ATAR needed.

Its still difficult deciding, any thoughts??

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
normal commerce, go unsw. International or liberal go usyd

Verify

HSC
Elaborate on 'depressing atmosphere' and 'social life lacking' please? How did you come to these conclusions?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

afc123

HSC
In terms of depressing atmosphere it's more or less the way the uni is. Unsw is just very bland firstly with all the buildings and secondly for an open day it just doesn't have a very warm vibe. There's not much going on, just concrete everywhere. However I don't want to make it out like the people are bad because they are helpful. Sydney though is more green and more vibrant and feels like a more comfortable atmosphere. I should have said though, the social aspect is what I've heard from friends at both uni's.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I've decided I'm doing a bachelor of commerce but I can't decide which uni to choose. I have the marks needed to attend either uni and I have been to both open days including the ones today. There are a number of pros and cons as to why I can't decide.

USYD

Pros
- better campus
- better atmosphere and more mixed group of people
- wider range of facilities and activities
- more convenient location

Cons

UNSW

Pros
- better business school
- more flexible timetable
- better teachers and industry links

Cons
- depressing atmosphere
- social life lacking
- further travelling distance
- less facilities that are appealing

These are based on my own 2 visits to each campus within the last 6 months. I am thinking of moving to dentistry after my commerce degree through GAMSAT. In that case ill have to go USYD anyway. I'm still leaning towards UNSW purely because of the better business school. I do also have a AAA scholarship with UNSW but I'm not taking that into consideration as I already have the ATAR needed.

Its still difficult deciding, any thoughts??
>the entire planet has the same atmosphere, so it's the same at usyd and unsw
>social life is what you make of it, if you don't talk to anyone you won't make any friends doesn't matter what uni you go to
>what do you mean by facilities? both unis have food courts, atms, gyms, swimming pools, banks, computers, libraries, bars and sports fields

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Most of the criteria is subjective to each person

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
>the entire planet has the same atmosphere, so it's the same at usyd and unsw
>social life is what you make of it, if you don't talk to anyone you won't make any friends doesn't matter what uni you go to
>what do you mean by facilities? both unis have food courts, atms, gyms, swimming pools, banks, computers, libraries, bars and sports fields
I went to both UNSW and USYD today. And i have to admit, evne though im going to unsw, USYD provides more comfort with it's atmosphere. All my friends loved USYD more than UNSW. Just the atmosphere though. the social life, i believe usyd would be better, since they're more literature oriented.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The reputation of each faculty and their industry links are negligible considering that you will only get a job on the basis of yourself as a capable candidate, rather than riding off your university. If you want to be a student which firms want to hire, in every case, the onus is on yourself to build your networks using your own initiative.

In regards to UNSW having a dour social scene, I would have to disagree. As kaz said, it's what you make of it. USYD may be more overt in terms of promoting the social side of the university but once again, you have to put in the effort to be a part of it. In all honesty, the social scene at both universities is pretty much the same.

RishBonjour

HSC
Cons

personal experience:
Business faculty teachers are NOT laid back. My accounting lecturers were some of the best 'teachers' I've come across my whole life. my last one went above and beyond to make sure every student had all the resources they needed to attain their best possible marks. Instead of just recording her lectures, she set aside an hour after each lecture doing a review of the lecture solely for the online audience. They organised more than 5 exam review sessions to maximise our chances of fitting it into our week. Everyone genuinely liked her (Don't think many lecturers would have a full lecture theatre at 7.30pm on thursdays even though some students have 4-5 hours break). The lecturer for the 1st accounting unit (Abdul) was just as good. They try and make accounting, arguably the dullest core unit, as interesting as possible. Some of the other core units had great tutors as well.

My experience with the economics faculty wasn't as great. My initial tutor was terrible - don't think I saw the guy smile once, couldn't answer some of the questions I asked him plus made excessive amount of errors when posting quiz answers. So I changed to a better tutor - that's all you need to do.

Industry links - what do you mean? Do you expect the university to hand you a job with a credit average in B.comm and minimal work experience? It won't happen at either unis. If you're a high achiever, USYD has links overseas (Washinton D.C internship/LA internship) and locally. But it really shouldn't matteras OzKo said above. They won't pick you because you went to UNSW over USYD, or USYD over UNSW.

Just pick the university you feel more comfortable in. That's what I did and wouldn't change it.

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
TBH base on what you said I think you like USYD more. You should pick it if that's the case. Reputation doesn't really mean much for undergraduate degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)