• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics or Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

Mattzaidan

HSC
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here does the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics combined degree, and what they think of it as opposed to the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) at UNSW. I've gotten into both but even though the combined course was my first preference, I'm having some second thoughts because with Liberal Studies I could do International Relations or Politics. Does the double degree give me a higher employability, or will future employees like the fact that I've done something other than purely business?

Cheers in advance.

danielvh

HSC
Re: Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics or Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studi

My thoughts on the Comm/Eco double as copied from my post on another thread on BoS:

Current econs/commerce double student here.

Best bit of advice you'll ever hear is: do NOT do the combined commerce/economics degree.

It is completely pointless.

Compare these options:
1) Do the double degree and take 4 years over it. Come out with 3/4 majors.

2) Do a single (economics or commerce. Not much difference - choose whichever appeals more or if you have to, flip a coin) degree and then with that extra year you have the choices of:
- Honours year in something you're very interested in. Result is you come out more employable than option 1 and with the option of doing a PhD after this if you want to. And in the same time!
- Work for a year, gaining experience and earning, say $50-$70k over that time.
- Do something else for that year. Volunteer in Kenya, travel, write a book etc etc etc

I guarantee that all three of the paths in the single degree path will result in you being better off.

Now, also consider some of the additional disadvantages of the double
- You don't move through your degree with the rest of your cohort. So while they move onto level 3 units in 3rd year, you're still on level 2. This means that building long-term friendships (or even long term study budies) with those in your course is more difficult. The uni experience is also diluted.
- Constantly having to answer that annoying question: why are you doing a double in two very similar degrees (annoying because there really is no good answer).

And to top it all off, if for some reason you REALLY wanted to do the double, you could just switch to it in 2nd or 3rd year (you can't argue as well that you can easily drop to the single because you might have already screwed up the units you've done too much - as in done too many 2nd year units.)

Finally, people may say: well, with 4 majors I'm real hardcore and employees will lick my boots to hire me. It's simply not true. Majors make very little difference for employment prospects.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Re: Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics or Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studi

Thanks Daniel.

What about the B Commerce (Liberal Studies)? How does it compare with a plain B Commerce degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)