Bachelor of commerce double major?! (1 Viewer)

twenty12

HSC
Really confused on whether MQ offers a double major in B commerce or not. I might want to double major in accounting and (finance or marketing if thats too difficult) but the simple Commerce degree is not even listed on the CPA accredited courses list.

Will I be able to complete all CPA, CA and ASIC accredited courses if I double major in accounting, finance in a B commerce?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Really confused on whether MQ offers a double major in B commerce or not. I might want to double major in accounting and (finance or marketing if thats too difficult) but the simple Commerce degree is not even listed on the CPA accredited courses list.

Will I be able to complete all CPA, CA and ASIC accredited courses if I double major in accounting, finance in a B commerce?

Nope the CPA, CA and ASIC accredited course require Bachelor of Commerce - Professional Accounting.

Blizane

HSC
B. Comm - Professional Accounting will give you CA/CPA accreditation. You can also combine that with a B Applied Finance (which I believe has RG146 accreditation from ASIC) which will take 4 years. Other than that, I don't think you can double major a commerce degree and get the same qualifications. Though I do remember seeing a list from the ICAA saying which subjects you need to fulfill the requirements for CA, so maybe you can just do them in the single commerce degree? I don't know.

twenty12

HSC
B. Comm - Professional Accounting will give you CA/CPA accreditation. You can also combine that with a B Applied Finance (which I believe has RG146 accreditation from ASIC) which will take 4 years. Other than that, I don't think you can double major a commerce degree and get the same qualifications. Though I do remember seeing a list from the ICAA saying which subjects you need to fulfill the requirements for CA, so maybe you can just do them in the single commerce degree? I don't know.
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking of doing the app fin/prof accg degree although having only completed 2 unit math in high school, do you think I could do well in it?

Blizane

HSC
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking of doing the app fin/prof accg degree although having only completed 2 unit math in high school, do you think I could do well in it?
It's hard for me to say since I did so much maths in high school/uni so I can't really gauge what its like for the average student, though don't worry - I'd hazard a guess that 80% of the other students would be at the same level as you in terms of HSC maths. When you learn mathematical concepts they don't assume you know anything beyond 2 unit maths, so anything above what you already know will be taught to you. It basically just builds on simple algebra and calculus, though depending on which electives you choose it can get much more involved later down the track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)