Bachelor of Commerce Question (1 Viewer)

Crouchy

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm just curious as to why the ATAR cut-off for the Bachelor of Commerce at Macquarie is significantly lower than the respective courses at UTS, USyd and UNSW (80 vs 90 or greater). Particularly UTS (90), as from what i've gathered UTS and Macquarie are of similar quality/prestige.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
ATAR cut offs are just a product of supply and demand. The Go8 universities are a lot of students first choices, so they have the highest cutoffs.

The location of the UTS campus is more convenient or desirable than MQ for most people, so the UTS cut off is a fair bit higher even though the quality/prestige of UTS BBus and MQ BComm might be similar.

Crouchy

HSC
I thought this was the case, thought it was good to clarify it. Thanks a lot for your responses! :)

crazy_paki123

HSC
Definitely travel. Id rather go 40 mins to UTS instead of 90 mins to Macquarie especially if theyre similar levels of prestige which doesnt really matter for a business related degree anyway

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Doesn't matter. GO anywhere. A commerce degree is useless either away. Every man and his dog is doing it.... Unless you're using bcom to get into 'bigger' and 'better' degrees.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't matter. GO anywhere. A commerce degree is useless either away. Every man and his dog is doing it.... Unless you're using bcom to get into 'bigger' and 'better' degrees.
What degrees do you suggest?

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
What degrees do you suggest?
Medicine, Dentistry, Law (UNSW/USYD), Engineering, Actuarial Studies.

These are real degrees that lead to a proper profession and with decent incomes. And Comm can be used to get into any of those, just the reason why i did Comm in the first place.

thedemonpk3r

HSC

These are real degrees that lead to a proper profession and with decent incomes. And Comm can be used to get into any of those, just the reason why i did Comm in the first place.
What are you currently doing now... Would you recommend a combined degree with science and commerce?

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
What are you currently doing now... Would you recommend a combined degree with science and commerce?

Combined degree with science and commerce is as useless as doing science alone or commerce alone - this is my perspective and is not representative of what a lot of others would think though.

Last edited:

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Combined degree with science and commerce is as useless as doing science alone or commerce alone - this is my perspective and is not representative of what a lot of others would think though.
Why would you say that.... Aren't you being a little biased? I mean it wouldn't be one of the biggest atar courses in the state if it were pointless....

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Why would you say that.... Aren't you being a little biased? I mean it wouldn't be one of the biggest atar courses in the state if it were pointless....
I did a hell of a lot of research on the degree and its prospects, i advise you to do the same. Not to just glance at a few forums or a few uni websites or listen your friends.

'Biggest Atar courses'? What the hell does that mean? If you're saying many people do it or it has a high cutoff (only at USYD/UNSW) then that is representative of my point. That there are so many people doing it that the ATAR cutoff has become so unnecessarily high (at UNSW/USYD only. I've seen cutoffs for Comm in other unis as low as 50s ATAR - no joke). Every John and Jack is doing it.

I can't discourage you from doing it though. As different people have different goals/standards/values etc.

I really enjoyed the degree though while it lasted in terms of subject content which is why i got all HDs. And thats what allowed me to go into a 'bigger and better' degree. So, yes, i am being biased i guess.

Last edited:

thedemonpk3r

HSC
I did a hell of a lot of research on the degree and its prospects, i advise you to do the same. Not to just glance at a few forums or a few uni websites or listen your friends.

'Biggest Atar courses'? What the hell does that mean? If you're saying many people do it or it has a high cutoff (only at USYD/UNSW) then that is representative of my point. That there are so many people doing it that the ATAR cutoff has become so unnecessarily high (at UNSW/USYD only. I've seen cutoffs for Comm in other unis as low as 50s ATAR - no joke). Every John and Jack is doing it.

I can't discourage you from doing it though. As different people have different goals/standards/values etc.

I really enjoyed the degree though while it lasted in terms of subject content which is why i got all HDs. And thats what allowed me to go into a 'bigger and better' degree. So, yes, i am being biased i guess.
Well before you become all defensive and blunt about the issue, stating that you've achieved so much and moved on to bigger courses, would you mind stating the fact as to why the degree is pointless...? I mean there are many successful people who branch out from science or commerce based degrees... I just don't see the point to your argument...

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm undertaking a combined science and commerce degree.
My science major is in the department of computing.

I can understand why we all agree biology and accounting may not go together, but in some cases, commerce and science work very well together.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Science (Maths)/ Commerce (Finance) compliments each other very well.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

If you actually have an interest and want a career in an area of Commerce (e.g. accounting, marketing, finance, economics) then there is really no point trying to get into these so called 'real degrees'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)