bachelor of commerce vs bachelor of commerce/bachelor of economics (1 Viewer)

nevereddy

HSC
well, i have the option to do bachelor of commerce or a double bachelor of commerce/bachelor of economics both at unsw, though the double degree is 4 years while the single is 3 years.

i wanted to major in accounting/finance( siingle) or accounting/finance/financial eocnomics(double degree), and want to work for finance/investment banks

anyways.. if u were too choose, what degree would u choose?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
A BCom should suffice if you were to enter financial/investment work however, knowing how competitive business is becoming, an extra major wouldn't hurt in BCom/BEc I suppose.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Single, you get a headstart with only a three year degree.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BEco really will only help if you want to work in economics fields (i.e. "real" economics roles such as an economist). IMO you're better off spending that time working on extra curricular or work experience to improve your prospects of a grad position (or internship).

koecko

HSC
I would recommend the double degree purely for the fact that you'll spend more time at university and in that time would be able to gain more work experience. If you did 3 internships over the course of your degree in different areas of interest, you'd gain a wide range of experience and would have a better idea of what you want to do when you graduate. That said, if you are certain that you want to go into investment banking, then a 3 year degree would be fine. At the end of the day, experience usely means more than extra time at uni.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I would recommend the double degree purely for the fact that you'll spend more time at university and in that time would be able to gain more work experience. If you did 3 internships over the course of your degree in different areas of interest, you'd gain a wide range of experience and would have a better idea of what you want to do when you graduate. That said, if you are certain that you want to go into investment banking, then a 3 year degree would be fine. At the end of the day, experience usely means more than extra time at uni.
Not that many places would be willing to give you an internship if you aren't due to graduate within the next year... unless you lie on your applications or in your interviews.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not that many places would be willing to give you an internship if you aren't due to graduate within the next year... unless you lie on your applications or in your interviews.

atm1991

HSC
Bachelor of Economics, majoring in Financial Economics and Finance, and then do honours in Finance?

Or Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Finance, aiming for a Distinction Average or more and combine with Law second year?

I don't really think 3 commerce majors will make you more employable. You're better off doing honours in one of them during that 4th year imo.

Last edited:

koecko

HSC
That's true, maybe it's difficult. But I definitely know people who have done it though. It was a lot easier when the ICAA's Achiever Placement for 1st years was available in all states, it may be more difficult without it though. The other idea is to do honours, so you could be penultimate in your 2nd year, but just stay on and do another internship in your 3rd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)