bachelor of communication (1 Viewer)

bornforthis1

HSC
hey, I'm hoping to do the bachelor of communication (media studies) at western Sydney in 09 and was wondering if anyone could tell me how hands on that course is? does it focus more on theory or practice?
anything you can tell me helps, I've read the course outline but it doesn't really tell me...
thanks!

G

Gavvvvvin

I'm second year Media Arts. In the first year there is no practical, but that is only if you do the "recommended" units. Most people fall for this trap as they are unaware that there is nothing stopping you from not doing the recommended units and doing more practical oriented ones.

But yeah the 2nd year is very practical oriented. There is only one theory subject every semester, and the rest of the time is pretty much practical work :)

bornforthis1

HSC
thanks!
where would i be able to find out about these non recommended classes?

G

Gavvvvvin

In first year your supposed to do these subjects:

Approaches to Communication
Writing as Communication
Screen Media
Advertising: An Introduction
Design Thinking
Communication Research
Public Relations Theory and Practice
Introduction to Journalism

None of the 2nd year subjects for Media Production have any prerequisites so it doesn't matter what you do first year. Screen Media is good though.

magickmidget

HSC
N/A
Screen Media is great. Advertising seems like an amazing waste of time when you're not majoring in it in second year. :headbang:

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
I am interested in having screen media as an elective for my accounting degree. Would you be able to give me an idea of what screen media was about? What made it enjoyable?

And is theory very boring, or can it be interesting?

Thanks! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)