Bachelor of Creative Arts (1 Viewer)

lexonfire

HSC
Any students here doing this degree???

Its been a while since people have properly discussed this degree in a thread so I thought I'd start it up again...

I was wondering... how much of it is focused on the artsy side versus the business side? At first I got the impression that the business/management subjects were there to support the creative subjects... but then the description of it on the mac website made it seem more like: "We're going to train you to get into arts administration and u can have fun writing/design/making music on the side as well..." :S

For the creative major, do you only get to do the subjects from one strand (e.g. writing) or can you also dabble in another (e.g. sound) as an elective or something?

And just a big general question to throw out there... would people vouch for this course? Has it got a good reputation? (I know UoW has a good creative arts course as well... but the travel... eh)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its more a business admin degree rather than a full-blown creative on, though there is little to stop you from picking up creative subjects at the same time.

HSC
N/A
In my personal opinion, it's 2/3 arts degree where you simply select one of the available majors, and 1/3 'art industry' business (where this includes random REAL business units as well). ARTS100, ARTS310/311 and ARTS300 (when taught by Mark Evans) are extremely valuable but I've found some of the others to be in need of more streamlining/expansion - although I've heard the accounting unit (ARTS105) has improved since I did it.

You can absolutely dabble outside your elected major :)

I've heard the main difference between UoW and MQ is that MQ has the arts administration side, whilst the former appears to be a straighter "Creative Arts degree". Mark Evans explained it to us once as a degree for people who want to be involved in the arts industry, but who know employment can be unstable and so want to be educated in a 'backup career' (arts admin and related fields) for times when they can't get work doing their art, or if at any time they are no longer able/willing to do their art, but still want to be involved in the industry. It's kind of like "well, you could all be waiting on tables in downtimes... or you could be earning a little more $$$ and still be in the field you love". Although I do feel the course is a bit patchy and needs more streamlining I think this is one of the more realistic approaches out there.

I can't personally vouch for the dance or drama, but the writing and music is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)