Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) (1 Viewer)

Fault

HSC
Hi, does anybody go to UWS Penrith campus and study the bachelor of design (visual communication)? I would like to know about the course and if it's really worthwhile and fun. Would you have any ideas about the job prospects for this course? I have no idea what course i wanna do when i finish year 12 and a few opinions about the course would be great. Thanks. :)

BizzyP

HSC
Hi, im doing design vis comm this year and so far, im really enjoying it. I went into the course expecting just to be taught graphic design, but it really branches out and covers interactive design, environmental design and really just studies the whole concept of design. So far the theory has been pretty interesting and the practicals have been fun too. The assignments arent too hard ive found and if youre interested in design then you wont have a problem researching for them either. id definately recommend checking it out further.

Fault

HSC
Hey thanks for the info. i'm not really quite sure what i would like to do when i finish school and my art teacher suggested this course to me. i definately know that i want a career in design. is there any more information that i can find out about this course? (besides the website course description on the website). Would anybody else know what kind of jobs does this course leads to, and the prospects of getting a job in the "art world" via this course? much appreciated.

BizzyP

HSC
Umm...the best place would be the open day the uni has, but you will probably have to wait until the end of the year. Theres always course guides and brochures floating around, if you drop into one of the unis you should be able to pick one up. As far as jobs go, you could go into graphic design/multimedia design, art directing, advertising/marketing design, things like that.

spillargroove

HSC
The course is what it is. So far it has covered theory and practical work. The thing you should always keep in mind is always be open and push the work you do. Remember there are hundreds of graduates and only some will get a job they really like. If you want a job in art, then take up Fine Arts. If you want to be involved using computers then Visual Communcation is ideal. My best tip is being able to have a strong concept/idea is essential to be a good designer because in the industry, people will always want someone who has an idea; appreciate and apply your drawing skills too. Always keep a visual diary with you.

Last edited:

Drop20

I love the FF's and H.J.!
HSC
Hi there, i just thought i'd put in my 2 cents:
I applied for this course without a clue of what i wanted to be once i finished.

I figured, "well, i'm interested in computers and i also like art and drawing and stuff, so Design (vis comm) is a mixture of both pretty much so i guess i'll do that."

I still don't really know what i want to be! I just thought that once i do uni, i will stick with electives that i like as the years progress and i should be set on what kind of job i want from there.

So far it has been great, meaning it feels like a continuation of the HSC year(workload wise) but the work we get is really simple so it is much more enjoyable than the HSC in a sense.

The first semester we do 4 units - Australian Design, Approaches to Communication, Image Design: Photomedia and Visual Analysis.

Next semester the units are all changing and apparently there will be an illustration unit (YAY!)

Anyway, if your still in year 12, take it easy, i was so lazy, the procrastinator queen, and i got 65.55 but i still made it into uni. (that doesn't mean you can simply get out of doing work, because i'm still like that now in uni and it's does get hard. So if you do all your work and manage your time well, thru high school, that is great practise for uni - just try not to stress as much as i did thru the HSC!).

psyfre

Supercalifragilisticexp..
HSC
Its good, i find it a bit tedious at times - not that much of a step up from school. 1st year was good and was expecting heaps more for 2nd year but its not that different. Though there are some interesting subjects that set good creative challenges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)