Bachelor of economics at USYD (1 Viewer)

sc10

HSC
Does anyone know of anyone or does a bachelor of economics themselves and know of whether it is a worthwhile course to do, any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there a particular career path you find appealing?

inJust

HSC
Economics from what I've heard is actually really interesting haha.

sc10

HSC
That's the main issue, I don't really know but economics and commerce has always interested me. My main concern about doing a bachelor of economics, whether it be at Sydney or UNSW is that there isn't many employment opportunities in the economics field or am I wrong?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Most good economic jobs require postgraduate work. I think they said at some unsw info night that 40% of economics grads go onto to postgrad.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Booom

From that, there aren't too many positions in the economics field itself ("Small occupation"). In addition to that the vacancy levels are "very low". However, "Employment for Economists to 2016-17 is expected to grow moderately".

Regardless of all this, there will always be positions out there for people in any occupation if they excel at their field. Keep this in mind.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind that doing honours really boosts your employment prospects.

sc10

HSC
Thanks, that page is useful, as you said if I do well It will be easier and as the post below states that doing honours will help, thank you to everyone who has helped, I think I will do it, just a matter of whether at Sydney or UNSW

Hatake88

HSC
Whats the difference between a bachelor of arts (economics) and economics at usyd nowadays?

Same faculty and most of the same stuff (if the person in arts chooses ecmt and econ)

rooster1908

HSC
There is little difference. The economics major remains the same. B Arts allows you to choose more arts subjects, while in B econ you can choose more business school subjects. In B Econ, if you choose a second major in an arts subject, you wont be able to do any other arts electives - as you're only allowed 48 CP from the arts faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)