Bachelor of economics degree (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
Is this degree any good in terms of employment? And how heavy is the maths? I enjoy micro and macroeconomics but not really a fan of doing hardcore maths and consisting whether to transfer commerce/economics.

Also would it be worth it to triple major in accounting finance and economics if I wanted to work in the finance industry to distinguish myself? .

Cheers

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you are bound to fail if you do an economics degree.

(not srs)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is this degree any good in terms of employment? And how heavy is the maths? I enjoy micro and macroeconomics but not really a fan of doing hardcore maths and consisting whether to transfer commerce/economics.

Also would it be worth it to triple major in accounting finance and economics if I wanted to work in the finance industry to distinguish myself? .

Cheers
You're expected to have a good grasp of mathematics but it isn't too crazy. There are recurring mathematical concepts but as long as you aren't taken aback, then you should be fine.

An Accounting/Finance/Economics major mix seems very typical of people who choose to apply for jobs in the finance industry so that won't really set you apart from the crowd at all.

Hatake88

HSC

Cheers
As with any other degree, its good if you do well in it. I was talking to one of the economic lecturers about employment prospects and he told me that, in order to get the best jobs (such as work at the RBA), one should do honors. And, of course, you can only do honors if you do well in your first three years of studies.

I don't know which university you are going to but at usyd there is two compulsory mathematically based courses in the first year (ECMT1010 & ECMT1020). ECMT1010 requires a prerequisite of band 5 in 2U maths (while ECMT1020 requires you to pass ECMT1010)...if you don't have that, then they suggest you do a bridging course over in the maths center. Personally, I think they got the prerequisite right- you won't be doing anything extraordinarily difficult but you will be expected to know how to differentiate to the first/second degree right off the bat etc. Also, to do honors, you have to take maths units such as ECOS2903 over here which is linear regression. So yeah. Its not the end of the world if you aren't great at maths, but you should at least have a solid base.

Commerce, again at least at usyd, is also somewhat maths centric as well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Cheers
Maths in economics? It gets to an easy-moderate level, nothing too ridiculous. Of course, in the higher courses, especially in research, economics basically becomes a lot of applied mathematics.

And if you want to distinguish yourself, I'd probably take maths because mathematics is about clear thinking, and as I said, in research, economics basically becomes maths anyway.

rope

HSC
N/A
Can get quite mathsy, though the actual maths involved isn't all that technical, seems like it's conceptually understanding what to do that trips most people up. 2U is all you really need, the maths in higher levels really just builds on top of that.

Almost everyone I know majoring in finance is doing it with accounting so definitely wouldn't say that combo is distinguishing. Economics is a bit different, though still pretty common so I wouldn't bank on that alone being distinguishing enough for your top tier grad jobs. Better off combining it with something you find interesting from sci/arts/eng/law/etc. Or you could just do straight commerce majoring in finance + economics and then do finance honours in the same time frame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)