• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of engg/comm at unsw (1 Viewer)

Amayataiyou

HSC
I'm currently studying engineering and commerce at unsw but I figured that I would prefer to go into banks/ investment banking when I graduate. So I was wondering if my engineering marks (WAM) would play any part in me getting hired or would they just mainly look at my commerce marks. Also I heard that the cut-off for investment banking is a HD WAM in commerce, is this true?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Marks play a significant part in getting an a role in an investment bank because of it's competitiveness. In short yes they'll look at your engo marks as well for an overall WAM, however they understand Engo is a "harder" degree in the sense of obtaining a good WAM so they'll give some room for your engo marks compared to your commerce marks. Note it's not just going to be your marks, you also need solid ECs/Awards etc..

Amayataiyou

HSC
As for WAMs, do they give a WAM every semester, then a final WAM at the end of the course which is the average of all the total WAMs or do they have a different way of working it out. Also, do we have a separate WAM for engo and commerce or a combined one. Thanks!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
As for WAMs, do they give a WAM every semester, then a final WAM at the end of the course which is the average of all the total WAMs or do they have a different way of working it out. Also, do we have a separate WAM for engo and commerce or a combined one. Thanks!
This is just depends on the reviewer (HR or an Associate looking through the pile)
They will likely look at your total complete WAM, WAM for each degree and also your marks in any course they might find are relevant to the job/they find relevant (Mainly done only if they're from the same uni/have time to look in a bit more into your marks). WAM for each semester isn't as relevant - there's nothing stopping the reviewer from looking at every angle of your WAM expect time which is why they won't be that specific with it as they have 1000s of others to review - the most prominent two will be overall WAM and overall for each degree which is usually what determines if you make the initial cut-off or not - after that your marks wont be too relevant unless you come first in something etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)