Bachelor of International Studies (1 Viewer)

mr_robato

HSC
Yeah I've heard that before, and I think it's definitely a bi-product that some unis enjoy.

The main reason, though, is marketing. They think that students want to BIT and not BSc majoring in IT; BPsych and not a BSc/BA in psych; BMedia and not a BA in media; etc etc.

Same thought here buddy. I need to write up a comprehensive lise of questions and make a few phone calls soon. Applications opening in Aug.

And thanks.

Robbed

HSC
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES???

Does the B Int Studies give you a solid opportunity for finding a job?
Oh and it's not just a 'glorified BA' as some people say, is it?

mr_robato

HSC
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES???

Depends. The one at UTS is a mandatory combined program, you can combine it with various degrees such as business/it/communication/law where the one at USYD sounds way too much like a BA and same goes for the INtl Stu ate UWS. Mind you, the one at USYD is alot more comprehensive than the one at UWS because the one at UWS is a carbon copy of the BA in ASIR.

X

xeuyrawp

Yes, it is. Like we've all said, the BIntStud is no different from a BA majoring in a language -- ie you can do exactly the same things in a BA as a BIntStud. They market the BIntStud with things like 'wooh you can go overseas and do an internship' but you can actually do these things very easily in a BA -- at the worst, you just need to get a waiver to do the internship unit, or do it under another name.

To say again: They're exactly the same.

Depends. The one at UTS is a mandatory combined program, you can combine it with various degrees such as business/it/communication/law where the one at USYD sounds way too much like a BA and same goes for the INtl Stu ate UWS. Mind you, the one at USYD is alot more comprehensive than the one at UWS because the one at UWS is a carbon copy of the BA in ASIR.
I'm not sure if you realise, but this is the MQ forum... :p

Peartie

HSC
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES???

It depends a) what you want to do
b) how hard you work

I know many people that go into the Public Service after doing a Bintstud...it doesnt give you a specific job possibility like a Marketing degree but it gives you experience in INTERNATIONAL CULTURE etc

Yes, it really is just a glorified BA.... you do the same subjects as can be done by any BA student (bar the exchange and internship but they can be done in other subjects...as has been said)

Peartie

HSC
why are you not keen on it anymore?

Honestly its a good general degree and if you want to work in international firms it is a good starting point... just there is no "you must do this career" aspect of it, such as in medicine where you basically will become a doctor/surgeon kinda person....

tinfoilhat

HSC
what are the changes they're introducing to the course?

So far I think these have been mentioned:
- INTS303
- specifics of language component changing somehow
- internship isn't compulsory and is in 2nd year
- exchange is 3rd year

what else..?

Peartie

HSC
the only change i heard of was that Exchange 1st semester 3rd year and internship 2nd semester 2nd year (both compulsory unless you're doing the english one in which case the exchange isnt)...

what is INTS303 going to be?

HSC
Ahahahaha, you guys are frightening all the new Int Stud students away. I was reading the job oppertunity part, yeh, being a glorified arts degree your gonna have to work hard to get into those dreamed of jobs. Then again there is always master degrees which one can undertake to get a job in a more specified area. Masters of International security is just one ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)