Bachelor of Laws (Graduate) (1 Viewer)

furiousteddy

HSC
Anyone applied for LLB graduate program at Macquarie? If so, what was your academic record like?

Just wondering as I am tad unsure with my record. I am graduating from B. International Studies and I mostly get Distinction or high Credit in POL/MHIS/INTS subjects. The only part where I get Pass are languages. I asked the law department and all they said was that there are no specific criteria and all application is assessed by UAC.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Anyone applied for LLB graduate program at Macquarie? If so, what was your academic record like?

Just wondering as I am tad unsure with my record. I am graduating from B. International Studies and I mostly get Distinction or high Credit in POL/MHIS/INTS subjects. The only part where I get Pass are languages. I asked the law department and all they said was that there are no specific criteria and all application is assessed by UAC.
This topic has popped up several times in the past, and there hasn't been any clear answer as to what sort of marks were required. Some have got in with distinctions, others have gotten into the program with a low credit average. The department is deliberately cryptic in their response to you because I suspect that the ranges of marks may fluctuate with the number of competing applications.

Are you a Macquarie student?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I sincerely hope you're applying elsewhere as well.
What do you mean by this? That the law school is terrible therefore furiousteddy should have another option or that furiousteddy has a small chance of getting through?

furiousteddy

HSC
Are you a Macquarie student?
Yes I am. And yes, the academic advisor was far from helpful and left a lot of ambiguity. I prefer Macquarie since I am familiar with the University and wouldn't mind continuing. Its just I thought that the applications are done more within the department. If it were, I thought there might be an opportunity to justify my application since Spanish are the only subjects where I get the pass grade.

I don't actually graduate until next semester so I think I might do more POL units and work towards a distinction for a better GPA...

Oh and anyone know if the selection is done more on overall GPA or do they look at individual subjects?

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Yes I am. And yes, the academic advisor was far from helpful and left a lot of ambiguity. I prefer Macquarie since I am familiar with the University and wouldn't mind continuing. Its just I thought that the applications are done more within the department. If it were, I thought there might be an opportunity to justify my application since Spanish are the only subjects where I get the pass grade.

I don't actually graduate until next semester so I think I might do more POL units and work towards a distinction for a better GPA...

Oh and anyone know if the selection is done more on overall GPA or do they look at individual subjects?
Can't say from first hand experience, but others who have transferred from other universities into Mq Law have said that they looked at their overall GPA.

And, I think it's fair enough that you picked Mac Law out of familiarity, the law studnets on campus are actually quite okay, great sense of humour. Hint - when you get to pick electives when you get into law, check around and ask other students or on here about which units to pick and which to avoid. Hint hint, there are some that have fantastic descriptions etc, but really should be avoided....

Actually, have you considered asking around the law student society to see if they might now what sort of a GPA people have gotten in with?

gapathetic

HSC
If it helps at all, i know someone who got into Macq graduate law with a credit average GPA from USYD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)