bachelor of music (1 Viewer)

woopa

HSC
Im so confused on what is involved in a university music education.

i know that grade 7 theory and grade 7 on your instrument are needed but what about instruments that arent classical and dont have exams. Can you major in piano(classical) but then not be able to minor in electric guitar or can instruments such as electric only be studied through a contemporary degree or diploma. and can a contemporary music degree lead to a high school teaching career such as the course offered by SCU (bachelor of contemporary music), and do highschools also think that contemporary music degrees are inferior to classical.

Also if you didnt have the grades of theory required e.g. didnt take exams earlier on is there courses that can help in this like TAFE music courses of theory or must you sit the AMEB

I am absoloutly certain that i want music education as a career everything i do involves music(basically) but i do not have the requirements for uni yet and by the time i do id be about 21 which is ok but i just need more information.

More questions later when i remember em but can you really help me out if you know there is so little information given plus my year advisor sucks, there i said it.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Woah slow down one at a time!

Where are youb(state, area) and what Uni's are you thinking you'd like to study at?

What instruments do you play in order of ability?

To answer your question about Exams... those are RECOMMENDED levels of experience. They are usually done in AMEB exams because other exams are easier/harder. I didn't pass 6th grade musicianship, but got into the Sydney Conservatorium first round...

You need to not just have a passion for music but a passion for teaching if you want to be a music educator.

Most serious music institutions (no offense to those studying otherwise) only do teach classical and Jazz music. There are a few reasons for this.

It's not that schools/board of studies see Contemporary music as inferior... it's just a part of a bigger music education. The skills and knowledge you get from a 'classical' music degree are far more comprehensive usually. It's a lot easier to understand rock harmony if you understand chromatic harmony.

Most of the musicians at the Con are into contemporary music, we just study classical/Jazz etc because that's what we do to be better at our craft.

Also remember that you don't have to major in an instrument. You can major in musicology or Composition, and still keep playing your instrument, but for yourself instead.

woopa

HSC
Well ive played guitar(electric) going on maybe 8 years now(dont take exams).
piano through the ameb for about 4 years (currently grade 5) and musicianship only grade 3 as ive only began exams for that this year. So i am quite sure that my piano ability would not be enough to carry me through a uni degree especially with the competition of other pianists out there.

I live around the canberra region so i was looking to see if ANU offered music or canberra uni.

So is there any bachelor courses that accept electric guitar?

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
ANU has one of the best music courses in the Country.

"Electric guitar" no. Although the Conservatorium is looking at having a popular music degree... and most places have a Jazz guitar degree.

Yea Grade 5 is a ways off yet

woopa

HSC
hmm so could jazz guitar be used in a bachelor degree?
and what is studied if you were to major in musicology?

woopa

HSC
okay talked to my music teacher today (he graduated from syd con) and says the thing id be looking at is a major in jazz performance glad there is something there for me=)

Just curious what are you studying at the con? and what instrument do you play?

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
okay talked to my music teacher today (he graduated from syd con) and says the thing id be looking at is a major in jazz performance glad there is something there for me=)

Just curious what are you studying at the con? and what instrument do you play?
The jazz unit at sydney con is extremely competitive and you need to be gun at improvisation and such... anyway, it'll help if you check out the sites for the conservatories you want to study at :)

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
probably most competitive in the state though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)